Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Using netbeans as a Ruby IDE

Using netbeans as a Ruby IDE

Sharon Phillips

Up till now I've been using Scite on Windows and Smultron on OS X for
Ruby development. I've also been using Netbeans for about 12 months
for Java, but it looks like it may be time for a change as Netbeans
is now adding some pretty decent Ruby support.

Here's a short video showing some of the things that got me interested:
http://www.netbeans.org/download/fla...y_editing.html

Only downside so far is that Netbeans is no lightweight. Scite,
though lacking a few things, has a brilliant startup time and as such
is very practical for quick scripts etc. Netbeans takes nearly a
minute to load on my work machine (old and under-specced) which is
fine for a project I'll spend the next few hours on, but not much fun
for a quick job.

How are other people finding Netbeans as a Ruby IDE?

Cheers,
Dave

John Joyce

Spring for TextMate, it's not free but it really is worth it.
Starts fast as can be.

On Mar 14, 2007, at 1:26 PM, Sharon Phillips wrote:

> Up till now I've been using Scite on Windows and Smultron on OS X
> for Ruby development. I've also been using Netbeans for about 12
> months for Java, but it looks like it may be time for a change as
> Netbeans is now adding some pretty decent Ruby support.
>
> Here's a short video showing some of the things that got me
> interested:
> http://www.netbeans.org/download/flash/jruby_editing/
> jruby_editing.html
>
> Only downside so far is that Netbeans is no lightweight. Scite,
> though lacking a few things, has a brilliant startup time and as
> such is very practical for quick scripts etc. Netbeans takes nearly
> a minute to load on my work machine (old and under-specced) which
> is fine for a project I'll spend the next few hours on, but not
> much fun for a quick job.
>
> How are other people finding Netbeans as a Ruby IDE?
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

Mark Watson

On Mar 13, 9:42 pm, John Joyce <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Spring for TextMate, it's not free but it really is worth it.
> Starts fast as can be.
>
> On Mar 14, 2007, at 1:26 PM, Sharon Phillips wrote:
>
> > Up till now I've been using Scite on Windows and Smultron on OS X
> > for Ruby development. I've also been using Netbeans for about 12
> > months for Java, but it looks like it may be time for a change as
> > Netbeans is now adding some pretty decent Ruby support.

> > Here's a short video showing some of the things that got me
> > interested:
> >http://www.netbeans.org/download/flash/jruby_editing/
> > jruby_editing.html

> > Only downside so far is that Netbeans is no lightweight. Scite,
> > though lacking a few things, has a brilliant startup time and as
> > such is very practical for quick scripts etc. Netbeans takes nearly
> > a minute to load on my work machine (old and under-specced) which
> > is fine for a project I'll spend the next few hours on, but not
> > much fun for a quick job.

> > How are other people finding Netbeans as a Ruby IDE?

> > Cheers,
> > Dave

I agree, TextMate is worth the money. I am also finding the Ruby and
Rails support in IntelliJ to be very useful. I tend to use TextMate
for small Ruby projects and for a "background code browser" when
working with Common Lisp+Emacs on large systems. I like IntelliJ
better for Rails work.

I tried NetBeans+Ruby and it was not the joyful experience that
TextMate or IntelliJ provided, but I expect NetBean's Ruby support to
get better fast.

-Mark Watson, author and consultant
-www.markwatson.com for free web books