Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Google Summer of Code -- Get Ready for the Proposal Window

Reply
Thread Tools

Google Summer of Code -- Get Ready for the Proposal Window

 
 
pat eyler
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-14-2007
Google hasn't announced their final selection yet for mentoring
organizations, but I'm operating under the assumption that we will be.
Given that, this is the time for people to start putting together
proposals for student projects. The window is only about a week long,
and is opens up in just a couple of days.

We've got mentoring volunteers from the JRuby, RoR, rubinius, ruby,
and Xruby communities, so don't feel constrained to any particular
field. On the other hand, projects that are liable to benefit the
largest possible group of users are certainly going to get some extra
karma.

If you're not a student, but have a great idea, feel free to toss it
out for discussion. Who knows, maybe someone will pick it up and run
with it.

(posted here: http://on-ruby.blogspot.com/2007/03/...ready-for.html
if you'd rather deal with it that way.)

--
thanks,
-pate
-------------------------
http://on-ruby.blogspot.com
http://on-ruby.tumblr.com
http://mtnwestruby.org

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Daniel Berger
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-14-2007

pat eyler wrote:

<snip>

> If you're not a student, but have a great idea, feel free to toss it
> out for discussion. Who knows, maybe someone will pick it up and run
> with it.


Just a couple of idea

* A 'find' module that's more useful (i.e. options based on the
command line tool)
* Bench::Unit (i.e. a more formal benchmark suite)

Regards,

Dan

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-14-2007
Daniel Berger wrote:
> pat eyler wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>
>> If you're not a student, but have a great idea, feel free to toss it
>> out for discussion. Who knows, maybe someone will pick it up and run
>> with it.
>>

>
> Just a couple of idea
>
> * A 'find' module that's more useful (i.e. options based on the
> command line tool)
> * Bench::Unit (i.e. a more formal benchmark suite)
>

Along those lines:

1. A recorder that will capture a Watir script of a web application as
someone uses it from IE (or Firewatir/Firefox)
2. Extend Ruby Inline to accept assembler on gcc-based systems
(actually, it may already do that)
3. A built in load tester for Rails applications
4. A lightweight Ruby interpreter for distributed / embedded processing

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, FBG, AB, PTA, PGS, MS, MNLP, NST, ACMC(P)
http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

If God had meant for carrots to be eaten cooked, He would have given rabbits fire.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Bret Pettichord
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-14-2007
On Mar 14, 12:45 am, "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> 1. A recorder that will capture a Watir script of a web application as
> someone uses it from IE (or Firewatir/Firefox)


Here would be a good place to start:
http://svn.openqa.org/fisheye/change...recorder/trunk

 
Reply With Quote
 
Peter Szinek
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-14-2007
> 1. A recorder that will capture a Watir script of a web application as
> someone uses it from IE (or Firewatir/Firefox)


+1

I would be really interested in this, since I am just integrating
FireWatir support into scRUBYt![1] - so far navigating to the page you
wish to scrape is described manually, like:

fetch 'http://www.amazon.com'
fill_textfield 'field-keywords', 'logitech keyboard'
choose_option 'url', 'Computers & PC Hardware'
submit


#Construct the scraper here
stuff do
item_name "Logitech diNovo Edge ( 967685-0403 )"
price "$169.98"
end

OK, also this is thousand times easier than to do it by hand - however,
if I could record user steps and spit out a script automatically instead
of writing it by hand, it would be even much more cool!

Peter

[1] http://scrubyt.org

__
http://www.rubyrailways.com :: Ruby and Web2.0 blog
http://scrubyt.org :: Ruby web scraping framework
http://rubykitchensink.ca/ :: The indexed archive of all things Ruby


 
Reply With Quote
 
Martin DeMello
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-14-2007
On 3/14/07, pat eyler <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> If you're not a student, but have a great idea, feel free to toss it
> out for discussion. Who knows, maybe someone will pick it up and run
> with it.


It would be really neat to combine scintilla and irb to get a
lightweight drscheme-like environment optimised for iterative,
interactive development. It would need the following features:

1. A mathematica-like wrapper around irb, where each command/response
is an individual gui object, so that it would be easy to select
individual lines from the history (not essential, but it'd make the
gui more convenient to use)
2. The ability to copy an irb line to the scintilla pane
3. The ability to wipe the irb session and reload it from the
scintilla pane (this is the main requirement)
4. (optional) An SDL pane that was specialcased into irb, so that
people learning ruby could play around with graphics right from the
start (remembering my BBC Basic days)

Another option is to write a DrRuby atop the DrScheme engine
(someone's done a DrOcaml, for instance), but that's probably a lot
harder.

martin

 
Reply With Quote
 
James Edward Gray II
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-14-2007
On Mar 13, 2007, at 8:47 PM, pat eyler wrote:

> If you're not a student, but have a great idea, feel free to toss it
> out for discussion. Who knows, maybe someone will pick it up and run
> with it.


I think Event Machine is very ripe ground for Summer of Code
projects. It's already one of the coolest libraries out there for
Ruby and the team has a lot of great ideas for making it even better.

One of their ideas is to build every protocol under the sun for it,
so coders could just use EventMachine::HTTP or EventMachine::Telnet
instead of having to work with the low-level plumbing. There's even
been mention of getting DRb running on top of EventMachine, which
would likely make it quite a bit more robust and scalable.

The team also has interest in providing mid-level protocol building
frameworks. This would make it easier to add additional protocols.
There are lots of interesting ideas to explore along this path to:
protocol parser generators, DSLs for defining protocols, callback
systems for reacting to protocol events, or even just generic event
loops.

This project is very under loved and there's no reason it couldn't
become the huge success POE is for Perl or Twisted is for Python. If
you're remotely interested in networking, I say jump on their mailing
list and bounce some ideas off of them.

James Edward Gray II


 
Reply With Quote
 
hemant
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-14-2007
On 3/14/07, James Edward Gray II <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mar 13, 2007, at 8:47 PM, pat eyler wrote:
>
> > If you're not a student, but have a great idea, feel free to toss it
> > out for discussion. Who knows, maybe someone will pick it up and run
> > with it.

>
> I think Event Machine is very ripe ground for Summer of Code
> projects. It's already one of the coolest libraries out there for
> Ruby and the team has a lot of great ideas for making it even better.
>
> One of their ideas is to build every protocol under the sun for it,
> so coders could just use EventMachine::HTTP or EventMachine::Telnet
> instead of having to work with the low-level plumbing. There's even
> been mention of getting DRb running on top of EventMachine, which
> would likely make it quite a bit more robust and scalable.
>
> The team also has interest in providing mid-level protocol building
> frameworks. This would make it easier to add additional protocols.
> There are lots of interesting ideas to explore along this path to:
> protocol parser generators, DSLs for defining protocols, callback
> systems for reacting to protocol events, or even just generic event
> loops.
>
> This project is very under loved and there's no reason it couldn't
> become the huge success POE is for Perl or Twisted is for Python. If
> you're remotely interested in networking, I say jump on their mailing
> list and bounce some ideas off of them.
>


+1 James, Francis



--
gnufied
-----------
There was only one Road; that it was like a great river: its springs
were at every doorstep, and every path was its tributary.
http://people.inxsasia.com/~hemant

 
Reply With Quote
 
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-14-2007
Martin DeMello wrote:
> On 3/14/07, pat eyler <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> If you're not a student, but have a great idea, feel free to toss it
>> out for discussion. Who knows, maybe someone will pick it up and run
>> with it.

>
> It would be really neat to combine scintilla and irb to get a
> lightweight drscheme-like environment optimised for iterative,
> interactive development. It would need the following features:
>
> 1. A mathematica-like wrapper around irb, where each command/response
> is an individual gui object, so that it would be easy to select
> individual lines from the history (not essential, but it'd make the
> gui more convenient to use)
> 2. The ability to copy an irb line to the scintilla pane
> 3. The ability to wipe the irb session and reload it from the
> scintilla pane (this is the main requirement)
> 4. (optional) An SDL pane that was specialcased into irb, so that
> people learning ruby could play around with graphics right from the
> start (remembering my BBC Basic days)
>
> Another option is to write a DrRuby atop the DrScheme engine
> (someone's done a DrOcaml, for instance), but that's probably a lot
> harder.
>
> martin

Scite is a bit like that, at least the version shipped with the Windows
One-Click Installer. A DrRuby would be spectacular, though!

Another thing I'd like to see come out of Google Summer of Code would be
(and this is somewhat language-independent) some tools like those
described in "Generative Programming" -- tools that work at the
syntactic and semantic level rather than at the surface syntax level.
There are some core concepts just about all "modern" languages have --
integer and floating point and string data types, regular expressions,
arrays and hashes, classes and objects and methods. A tool that could
manipulate a graphical version of a program, such as a parse tree, and
then reconstruct the source code from that is something I'd use daily.

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, FBG, AB, PTA, PGS, MS, MNLP, NST, ACMC(P)
http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

If God had meant for carrots to be eaten cooked, He would have given rabbits fire.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Rich Morin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-14-2007
At 12:14 AM +0900 3/15/07, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> Another thing I'd like to see come out of Google Summer of Code
> would be (and this is somewhat language-independent) some tools
> like those described in "Generative Programming" -- tools that
> work at the syntactic and semantic level rather than at the
> surface syntax level. There are some core concepts just about
> all "modern" languages have -- integer and floating point and
> string data types, regular expressions, arrays and hashes,
> classes and objects and methods. A tool that could manipulate a
> graphical version of a program, such as a parse tree, and then
> reconstruct the source code from that is something I'd use daily.


On a similar note, I'd like to see someone look into creating an
abstract description format (e.g., in XML or YAML) for use by the
dozens of "documentation generators" I see listed on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...ion_generators

Most of these programs parse one or more languages, then present the
result in HTML (etc). Almost none of them are willing to output the
collected information in a machine-friendly format, let alone accept
such information from another source.

-r
--
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm Rich Morin
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/resume http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/weblog +1 650-873-7841

Technical editing and writing, programming, and web development

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Google Summer of Code proposal: GRuVeR: A General Ruby library forsolving Routing Vehicle Problems Nikos D. Ruby 6 04-08-2008 10:22 PM
GSoC 2007 : The list of ruby accepted proposal is ready. Pedro Del Gallego Ruby 4 04-13-2007 07:18 PM
[Google Summer of Code] Port Google Web ToolKit Michael Neumann Ruby 1 03-14-2007 12:03 PM
Kamaelia & Summer of Code (was Re: Google's Summer of Code - Students coding on MoinMoin ) Michael Python 0 05-06-2006 10:27 AM
New mailing list to discuss Google Summer of Code David Ascher Python 0 06-02-2005 05:35 PM



Advertisments