Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > GUI With Ruby

GUI With Ruby

Lyle Johnson

On 3/9/07, Sharon Phillips <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Is anyone able to give a quick rundown on which of these toolkits
> will work on both Windows and OS X?

FOX works on both Windows and OS X, but the OS X version runs under
the X server (i.e. it doesn't use Carbon APIs directly).

Lyle Johnson

On 3/10/07, John Joyce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> [For Qt] your mileage may vary and licensing is not free.

Aren't the licensing fees for Qt waived if you're using it for
non-commercial, open source software (or something like that)? It
seems like it used to be the case that you only had to pay the
licensing fees if you were using Qt for commercial development.

Lyle Johnson

On 3/10/07, Caleb Tennis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Agreed. FX and FXRuby are indeed great GUI toolkits (this coming
> from a Qt guy). I simply started using Qt LONG before I ever picked
> up Ruby, so QtRuby was a natural marriage for me.

Sending the love for Qt back your way.

All of the "major" GUI toolkits for Ruby are pretty good. They all
have their little quirks, etc. My usual recommendation to folks is to
try out several of them on a little test program and see how it feels.
You also want to consider things like what kinds of documentation
(free or otherwise) and technical support (via forums, IRC, mailing
lists, etc.) is available for those times when you do run into
problems. There's more to a choice like this than merely looking at a
feature list and flipping a coin.

Sebastian Hungerecker

Victor Reyes wrote:
> I would like some
> kind of GUI environment in which I can just grab a widget (i.e. a
> drop-down-list or a radio button, Etc.) and drop it exactly where I want it
> to be. [...]
> But, I've been waiting now for a few years and nothing yet! And I don't
> have the skills to write it myself. Oh Well, the story of my life!

Don't the qt designer (fot qt) and glade (for gtk) do what you want?

--
NP: Katatonia - Right Into The Bliss
Ist so, weil ist so

John Joyce

There is an Education License allowed on faith, but you do have to
wonder if lawyers won't come knocking some day.
It is just something to be aware of. You do need to read that stuff
if you use it and put it into use.
On Mar 11, 2007, at 12:59 AM, Lyle Johnson wrote:

> On 3/10/07, John Joyce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> [For Qt] your mileage may vary and licensing is not free.

> Aren't the licensing fees for Qt waived if you're using it for
> non-commercial, open source software (or something like that)? It
> seems like it used to be the case that you only had to pay the
> licensing fees if you were using Qt for commercial development.

Lyle Johnson

On 3/10/07, John Joyce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> There is an Education License allowed on faith, but you do have to
> wonder if lawyers won't come knocking some day.
> It is just something to be aware of. You do need to read that stuff
> if you use it and put it into use.

Oh, sure, I definitely agree that people need to understanding the
licensing terms for the software that they're considering using.

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

John Joyce wrote:
> Actually, Qt has gotten a lot better, and does work on Windows and OS
> X and linux with claimed native look and feel.
> Your mileage may vary and licensing is not free.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding about the Qt license is this -- when you start a project, you decide which license it will use -- commercial or open source -- and the project is forever licensed that way. Say you pick open source. You download the open source version, incorporate it into your project, and you can never convert the project to a commercial one at that point.

Similarly, if you start a commercial project, buy the commercial version of Qt, etc., you can never convert the project to open source. I'm not sure how this fits with the Ruby license.

My own personal opinion is that most "open source" licenses are junk, with the GPL being one of the worst. I think it's high time someone came up with an open source license that says something like this:

"This software is copyright 2007 M. Edward Borasky. Here is the source. You can do anything you want with it, but if you hurt someone with it, it's your fault and not mine. If you make any money with it, it's your money and not mine. If you do something with it that makes you famous, it's your fame and not mine. And I can't prevent you from compiling it and distributing the binaries without distributing the source, so you can do that too."

http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Caleb Tennis wrote:

>> Qt 4 Ruby works on Windows and Linux for sure. I don't know about
>> Macs, though. I think most Mac users prefer native Mac GUIs anyhow,
>> and there is one for Ruby that has a very good reputation. I don't
>> have a Mac, so I've forgotten the name.

> I'm using Qt4 QtRuby on the Mac and Linux wonderfully. I've started
> diving into an attempt to build it on Windows, but honestly, using
> Windows for software development is very frustrating for me. However,
> it certainly is feasible to build and once someone does and they share
> their library or routine for building it, we can safely say it's
> supported there as well.
>
> Caleb

Oops ... it *doesn't* work on Windows? I lied! Bad me! Well, there's
always Cygwin ... <ducking>

http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

Brian Candler

On Sun, Mar 11, 2007 at 02:21:23AM +0900, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> My own personal opinion is that most "open source" licenses are junk, with
> the GPL being one of the worst. I think it's high time someone came up with
> an open source license that says something like this:
>
> "This software is copyright 2007 M. Edward Borasky. Here is the source. You
> can do anything you want with it, but if you hurt someone with it, it's
> your fault and not mine. If you make any money with it, it's your money and
> not mine. If you do something with it that makes you famous, it's your fame
> and not mine. And I can't prevent you from compiling it and distributing
> the binaries without distributing the source, so you can do that too."

That's called the BSD licence.

Timothy Hunter

Albert Ng wrote:
> Um, how close is the BSD license to this "my code, don't need to quote
> me,
> do whatever you want with it, but it's consequences are all yours"
> license?

The text of the BSD license is here:
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php.