Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Komodo is the IDE for Ruby and Ruby on Rails!

Komodo is the IDE for Ruby and Ruby on Rails!

zoat

The new Komodo IDE 4.0 is the first unified workspace for end-to-end
development of dynamic web applications. A rich feature set for client-
side Ajax languages such as CSS, HTML, JavaScript and XML, coupled
with advanced support for dynamic languages such as Perl, PHP, Python,
Ruby and Tcl, enables developers to quickly and easily create robust
web apps. Komodo is the first IDE to provide professional debugging
tools for Ruby and Rails application development. The Ruby interactive
shell is available separately or from within debugging sessions.
Komodo is the IDE for Ruby and Ruby on Rails!
http://www.activestate.com/products/..._information.p

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

zoat wrote:
> The new Komodo IDE 4.0 is the first unified workspace for end-to-end
> development of dynamic web applications. A rich feature set for client-
> side Ajax languages such as CSS, HTML, JavaScript and XML, coupled
> with advanced support for dynamic languages such as Perl, PHP, Python,
> Ruby and Tcl, enables developers to quickly and easily create robust
> web apps. Komodo is the first IDE to provide professional debugging
> tools for Ruby and Rails application development. The Ruby interactive
> shell is available separately or from within debugging sessions.
> Komodo is the IDE for Ruby and Ruby on Rails!
> http://www.activestate.com/products/..._information.p

Well ... I have Komodo 4.0, but I haven't really attempted to develop a
whole GUI-based application with it yet. But I have to disagree that
it's the first "unified workspace for end-to-end development of dynamic
web applications." I'd put a combination of KDevelop and Quanta ahead of
Komodo, and I'm pretty sure Eclipse is as good or better. I ended up
picking Komodo over KDevelop for two reasons:

1. KDevelop and its friends, QtRuby, QtDesigner, Korundum and Kommander,
really work well only on Linux and are really integrated well only with
the KDE desktop. Komodo, on the other hand, works with all of the Linux
desktops, and supports Windows a boatload better, especially if you are
using the ActiveState Perl, Python, Tcl/Tk and other tools.

2. I had a lot of trouble getting KDevelop to sync up with my RubyForge
projects. I gave up on it after a day or so. Komodo picked up on them
right out of the box. All I had to do was start Komodo in the directory,
and it found the CVS stuff and just worked.

http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

Griff

I bought it, too. It is pretty nice.

It isn't the end all for IDEs, but it supports both Ruby and Perl, and
every OS on which I would ever end up working for my job.

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Chad Perrin wrote:
> I'm extremely hesitant to go along with anything that eliminates flat
> text files as a means of data storage when writing code, though. Plain
> text is our best defense against data obsolescence and vendor lock-in.

*Especially* when you work on both Linux and Windows and have tools that
seamlessly and transparently deal with the two different end-of-line
conventions.

<weg>

:set fileformat=dos

er ...

http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

Jeremy McAnally

But many times people find Vi or emacs just as hard to learn if not
harder as an IDE. I did at first. Ctrl this, Alt that, how many keys
was that again? Four!? It was just completely alien to my brain.

I usually give my students something like SCiTe or Notepad++ to start
out with. Keep it simple and familiar. If you want them to focus on
the basics, then give them someting that is familiar, and as such gets
out of their way, but also makes them work harder to keep their code
formatted and working. Not only will they appreciate IDEs/code
sensitive editors later on, they will be able to handle their editor's
quirkiness better and more intuitively.

--Jeremy

--
http://www.jeremymcanally.com/

My free Ruby e-book:

My blogs:
http://www.mrneighborly.com/
http://www.rubyinpractice.com/

John Wilger

On Feb 23, 8:11 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> What I'd really like to see is a programming environment where the IDE
> isn't a cunning layer over the underlying reality, but where it's an
> equally valid interpretation of the data. Then you can work at what ever
> level you like, and see what ever details you like. This isn't going to
> happen while we're still storing our programs and data as flat text
> files though, in my opinion.

Uhm... Smalltalk anyone?

Martin DeMello

On 2/23/07, Servando Garcia <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Beginning programmers should concentrate solely on the basics of
> programming.

Why is why a text editor isn't the best thing either - the "basics of
programming" should ideally let you write code, without worrying about
setting up your environment and include paths properly, getting the
right commands to compile/run it, etc. You should be open up an IDE,
type in some code, and hit a button to have it run, interact with the
debugger, etc.

martin

Alex Young

Martin DeMello wrote:
> On 2/23/07, Servando Garcia <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> Beginning programmers should concentrate solely on the basics of
>> programming.

> Why is why a text editor isn't the best thing either - the "basics of
> programming" should ideally let you write code, without worrying about
> setting up your environment and include paths properly, getting the
> right commands to compile/run it, etc. You should be open up an IDE,
> type in some code, and hit a button to have it run,

Like in Scite, you mean?

--
Alex

Chad Perrin

On Sat, Feb 24, 2007 at 05:28:51PM +0900, Martin DeMello wrote:
> On 2/23/07, Servando Garcia <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >Beginning programmers should concentrate solely on the basics of
> >programming.

> Why is why a text editor isn't the best thing either - the "basics of
> programming" should ideally let you write code, without worrying about
> setting up your environment and include paths properly, getting the
> right commands to compile/run it, etc. You should be open up an IDE,
> type in some code, and hit a button to have it run, interact with the
> debugger, etc.

Alex Young makes a good point, re: SciTE, in answer to this. My
immediate thought, though, was that this isn't necessarily the realm of
the tools you use -- for instance, Ruby mostly solves these problems
pretty handily, regardless of what kind of editor you're using.

Giles Bowkett

On 2/23/07, John Wilger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Feb 23, 8:11 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > What I'd really like to see is a programming environment where the IDE
> > isn't a cunning layer over the underlying reality, but where it's an
> > equally valid interpretation of the data. Then you can work at what ever
> > level you like, and see what ever details you like. This isn't going to
> > happen while we're still storing our programs and data as flat text
> > files though, in my opinion.

> Uhm... Smalltalk anyone?

Yep, to the OP on this subset of the thread, you've just done
Smalltalk in a nutshell, basically. Although I must admit I've never
actually seen syntax-coloring in Smalltalk. It probably exists,
though.

--
Giles Bowkett
http://www.gilesgoatboy.org