Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > STRANGE PROBLEM

STRANGE PROBLEM

JW

I'm running Win98 SE on a PIII 450 MgHz with 256 Mg RAM. Using
DreamWeaver, I previewed my Web page in IE 6 (SP1) after adding -
javascript:resizeTo(..) to the code. IE DISSAPEARED, except for the
Tool Bar. When I tweaked FULL SCREEN, I was able to see the page. My
other browsers seem to work properly.
It was recommeded that I go back to a previous registry. So
that's what I did to fix the problem, including trying to REMOVE IE
and choosing the FIX option instead. IE works properly now.
Here's the problem: Mozilla 1.5 (and Netscape 7.1) won't load
(or work), AT ALL. I tried: re-installing Mozilla on top of the
current installation, removing the current installation and
re-installing from scratch, using Reg Clean, using ScanDisk, removing
the DOWNLOADED FILE - re-downloading and re-installing,...phew. I'm
running out of options. What is wrong?

JW

Alan P

What do you mean? Do you mean that it doesn't open when you click on an web
page icon, or it won't open by running Mozilla.exe ?

"JW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...

> I'm running Win98 SE on a PIII 450 MgHz with 256 Mg RAM. Using
> DreamWeaver, I previewed my Web page in IE 6 (SP1) after adding -
> javascript:resizeTo(..) to the code. IE DISSAPEARED, except for the
> Tool Bar. When I tweaked FULL SCREEN, I was able to see the page. My
> other browsers seem to work properly.
> It was recommeded that I go back to a previous registry. So
> that's what I did to fix the problem, including trying to REMOVE IE
> and choosing the FIX option instead. IE works properly now.
> Here's the problem: Mozilla 1.5 (and Netscape 7.1) won't load
> (or work), AT ALL. I tried: re-installing Mozilla on top of the
> current installation, removing the current installation and
> re-installing from scratch, using Reg Clean, using ScanDisk, removing
> the DOWNLOADED FILE - re-downloading and re-installing,...phew. I'm
> running out of options. What is wrong?
>
> JW

Leonidas Jones

JW wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 11:49:13 +0000 (UTC), "Alan P"
> <alan@(nojunkplease)alancode.net> wrote:
>

>>What do you mean? Do you mean that it doesn't open when you click on an web
>>page icon, or it won't open by running Mozilla.exe ?

> Mozilla won't run...period. It installs correctly, but just
> won't open. Neither will Netscape 7.1. I removed Netscape, but I still
> have the GRE folder as well as some others. It was recommended to
> REMOVE the GRE folder. What do you think?
>
> JW

If a an NS7.1 installation or a Moz installation won't run after
installing, one of the first things to look at is corruption in the GRE
folder. Moz and NS should have their own separate GRE's, stored in the
same folder, Program Files>>Common Files>>mozilla.org. If neiterh
program is running, delete both from Add/Remove Programs, delete the
mozilla.org folder in Program Files, delete the mozilla.org folder in
Programs Files>>Common Files, then reinstall the aps.

Note that your profile information is stored separately and will not be
removed in the uninstall.

Lee

JW

JW wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 00:42:35 GMT, Leonidas Jones
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>If a an NS7.1 installation or a Moz installation won't run after
>>installing, one of the first things to look at is corruption in the GRE
>>folder. Moz and NS should have their own separate GRE's, stored in the
>>same folder, Program Files>>Common Files>>mozilla.org. If neiterh
>>program is running, delete both from Add/Remove Programs, delete the
>>mozilla.org folder in Program Files, delete the mozilla.org folder in
>>Programs Files>>Common Files, then reinstall the aps.
>>
>>Note that your profile information is stored separately and will not be
>>removed in the uninstall.
>>
>>Lee

> I received a similar workaround from a Netscape FAQ site. Here
> is the gist of it:
> Back up your Profiles Folder(s)
> Back up your Plugins Folder(s)
> Using the Add/Remove applet:
> Uninstall Netscape 7.1
> Uninstall Mozilla 1.4 (if installed)
>
> Delete the following folders:
> ~\Program Files\Netscape\Netscape\
> ~\Program Files\Common Files\mozilla.org\GRE
> ~\Program Files\mozilla.org\ (if you unzipped, or installed Mozilla)
>
> Clear the C:\WINDOWS\temp folder
> What bothers me is the last bit, because the Windows\temp folder is ~
> 76Mg big and contains a host of files. Is it a good idea to CLEAR this
> folder before re-installing Mozilla?
>
> JW

I never have, though I clear it periodically anyway. Most of what is in
there has outlived its usefulness. There can be information from
previous download/installs, and there is a chance, albeit small, that
there could be a conflict.

Consider this: if it was that vital, would it be stored in a temp
folder? Just to be safe, back it up before proceeding.

Lee

JW

JW wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 04:04:00 GMT, Leonidas Jones
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>>What bothers me is the last bit, because the Windows\temp folder is ~
>>>76Mg big and contains a host of files. Is it a good idea to CLEAR this
>>>folder before re-installing Mozilla?
>>>
>>>JW

>>I never have, though I clear it periodically anyway. Most of what is in
>>there has outlived its usefulness. There can be information from
>>previous download/installs, and there is a chance, albeit small, that
>>there could be a conflict.
>>
>>Consider this: if it was that vital, would it be stored in a temp
>>folder? Just to be safe, back it up before proceeding.
>>
>>Lee

> I have done as was suggested by the Netscape FAQ and you.
> Mozilla 1.5 is now successfully installed and working! Thanks a bunch
> Lee. BTW, do you know how to EMBED sound in Mozilla 1.5?
>
> JW

What exactly do you mean?

Lee

JW

JW wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 00:41:02 GMT, Leonidas Jones
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>> I have done as was suggested by the Netscape FAQ and you.
>>>Mozilla 1.5 is now successfully installed and working! Thanks a bunch
>>>Lee. BTW, do you know how to EMBED sound in Mozilla 1.5?
>>>
>>>JW

>>What exactly do you mean?
>>
>>Lee

> When I run my mouse over a link which is supposed to beep with
> the action, Mozilla (1.5) remains silent, while IE 6 (SP1) and Opera
> (7) play the sound. How do I EMBED the sound in the HTML code so that
> Mozilla also recognizes it?
>
> JW

Point me to an example of what you are talking about.

Lee

JW