Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Is the Ruby "ruby logo" licenced under creative commons?

Is the Ruby "ruby logo" licenced under creative commons?

Ben Congleton

Is the Ruby "ruby logo" licenced under creative commons? (The ruby logo
found in the header of http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/)

I was also wondering if someone had made a good 'ruby' t-shirt with
the logo on it? I was looking for some ruby 'nerd-wear' and couldn't
find anything other than a few ugly shirts on cafe-press.

If there are no good shirts out there and the logo is under CC
I am definitely interested in designing some shirts, printing them, and
selling them at cost. (But, I want to make sure I wouldn't be breaking
any copyrights to print the shirts first)

Thanks,
Ben Congleton
Nethernet Corporation
http://www.nethernet.com

Phd Student
School of Information
University of Michigan

James Britt

Ben Congleton wrote:
> Is the Ruby "ruby logo" licenced under creative commons? (The ruby logo
> found in the header of http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/)
>
> I was also wondering if someone had made a good 'ruby' t-shirt with
> the logo on it? I was looking for some ruby 'nerd-wear' and couldn't
> find anything other than a few ugly shirts on cafe-press.

I hope they weren't among these:

http://www.rubystuff.com

> If there are no good shirts out there and the logo is under CC
> I am definitely interested in designing some shirts, printing them, and
> selling them at cost. (But, I want to make sure I wouldn't be breaking
> any copyrights to print the shirts first)

See the link at the bottom of the ruby-lang.org home page for:

http://rubyidentity.org/

<quote>
Want to use the Ruby logo for your own project?

Download the Ruby logo kit and get started right away! The Ruby logo is
copyright © 2006, Yukihiro Matsumoto. It is released under the terms of
the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5 License.
</quote>

But I don't see this graphic of a ruby as any official logo. It's
simply part of the current page design.

(There was a thread on Ruby logo and mascots some time back, and it
thankfully faded away.)

--
James Britt

"I have the uncomfortable feeling that others are making a religion
out of it, as if the conceptual problems of programming could be
solved by a single trick, by a simple form of coding discipline!"
- Edsger Dijkstra