Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > How to: Delete read message

How to: Delete read message

john

Hi, this is my first time using mozilla newsgroups. How do I delete a
read message so that I do not have to slog through all previous ones to
get to the latest?
TIA

Ed Mullen

john wrote:
> Hi, this is my first time using mozilla newsgroups. How do I delete a
> read message so that I do not have to slog through all previous ones to
> get to the latest?
> TIA

Try this:

VIEW - MESSAGES - THREADED and ALL.

Also, VIEW - THREAD - THREADS WITH UNREAD.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Leonidas Jones

john wrote:

> Hi, this is my first time using mozilla newsgroups. How do I delete a
> read message so that I do not have to slog through all previous ones to
> get to the latest?
> TIA

You don't.

In newsgroups, the messages are stored on the server, not on your
computer, as with pop3 email.

However, MozMail/News has a number of options for displaying message in
newsgroups. Click the View menu from the toolbar. If you click
View>>Threads, you can set the group to display all the messages,
threaded, threads with unread messages, preserving the entire thread for
review, or simply unread, which will display only unread messages.

In an active group, I usually use Threads with unread. You can play
around with the settings and see what best suits your needs.

Lee

Leonidas Jones

Ed Mullen wrote:

> john wrote:
>
>>Hi, this is my first time using mozilla newsgroups. How do I delete a
>>read message so that I do not have to slog through all previous ones to
>>get to the latest?
>>TIA
>>

> Try this:
>
> VIEW - MESSAGES - THREADED and ALL.
>
> Also, VIEW - THREAD - THREADS WITH UNREAD.

Ed, you beat me! I think its only because you are more succinct then I
am.

Lee

Ed Mullen

Leonidas Jones wrote:

> Ed Mullen wrote:
>

>>john wrote:
>>

>>>Hi, this is my first time using mozilla newsgroups. How do I delete a
>>>read message so that I do not have to slog through all previous ones to
>>>get to the latest?
>>>TIA
>>>

>>Try this:
>>
>>VIEW - MESSAGES - THREADED and ALL.
>>
>>Also, VIEW - THREAD - THREADS WITH UNREAD.
>>

> Ed, you beat me! I think its only because you are more succinct then I
> am.
>
> Lee

Lee, only because my mind can't process much these days. I quit smoking
last Saturday so getting out one sentence responses here is pretty much
a great achievement for me! And, I'm proud to say, neither my wife nor
I have shed any blood so far in this grand adventure! No small animals,
nor UPS delivery persons, nor wandering missionaries, not anyone in our
personal household have yet disappeared!!! Amazing!

Now, I must admit, if you want a short-term buy advisory, go for Tootsie
Roll Pops and any toothpick manufacturer. 'Cause, like, whoa, talk
about trading one addiction for another. Sheesh. (Now, Shhh! Secret
discovery. I accidentally dropped a Cherry Tootsie Roll Pop into a
glass of straight Makers Mark Bourbon. Dang! I might be onto something
here!!! Should I call it a Mozilla Cocktail?)

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Leonidas Jones

Ed Mullen wrote:

> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>

>>Ed Mullen wrote:

>>>Try this:
>>>
>>>VIEW - MESSAGES - THREADED and ALL.
>>>
>>>Also, VIEW - THREAD - THREADS WITH UNREAD.
>>>

>>Ed, you beat me! I think its only because you are more succinct then I
>>am.
>>
>>Lee

> Lee, only because my mind can't process much these days. I quit smoking
> last Saturday so getting out one sentence responses here is pretty much
> a great achievement for me! And, I'm proud to say, neither my wife nor
> I have shed any blood so far in this grand adventure! No small animals,
> nor UPS delivery persons, nor wandering missionaries, not anyone in our
> personal household have yet disappeared!!! Amazing!
>
> Now, I must admit, if you want a short-term buy advisory, go for Tootsie
> Roll Pops and any toothpick manufacturer. 'Cause, like, whoa, talk
> about trading one addiction for another. Sheesh. (Now, Shhh! Secret
> discovery. I accidentally dropped a Cherry Tootsie Roll Pop into a
> glass of straight Makers Mark Bourbon. Dang! I might be onto something
> here!!! Should I call it a Mozilla Cocktail?)

I love it!!!!!! Though I am pretty much a beer only guy, it sounds like
it might be worth a try!

Hang in there with the quit smoking. My mother quit two years ago,
after a good 50 years plus of the habit, so there is hope.

I count myself fortunate, I never formed a smoking habit, and never
formed a coffee habit, never drink it at all.

Got to go, time for another beer!

Lee

Ed Mullen

Leonidas Jones wrote:
> Ed Mullen wrote:

>>>Ed, you beat me! I think its only because you are more succinct then I
>>>am.
>>>
>>>Lee

>>Lee, only because my mind can't process much these days. I quit smoking
>>last Saturday so getting out one sentence responses here is pretty much
>>a great achievement for me! And, I'm proud to say, neither my wife nor
>>I have shed any blood so far in this grand adventure! No small animals,
>>nor UPS delivery persons, nor wandering missionaries, not anyone in our
>>personal household have yet disappeared!!! Amazing!
>>
>>Now, I must admit, if you want a short-term buy advisory, go for Tootsie
>>Roll Pops and any toothpick manufacturer. 'Cause, like, whoa, talk
>>about trading one addiction for another. Sheesh. (Now, Shhh! Secret
>>discovery. I accidentally dropped a Cherry Tootsie Roll Pop into a
>>glass of straight Makers Mark Bourbon. Dang! I might be onto something
>>here!!! Should I call it a Mozilla Cocktail?)
>>

> I love it!!!!!! Though I am pretty much a beer only guy, it sounds like
> it might be worth a try!
>
> Hang in there with the quit smoking. My mother quit two years ago,
> after a good 50 years plus of the habit, so there is hope.
>
> I count myself fortunate, I never formed a smoking habit, and never
> formed a coffee habit, never drink it at all.
>
> Got to go, time for another beer!
>
> Lee

Thanks for the encouragement, Lee. But, still, I'm willing to give up
one vice as long as I can maintain the others. In fact, I may be
getting even more locked into my morning Starbucks, USA Today, Atlatna
Journal Constitution, and Wall St. Journal. I figure if I can live
through that routine without a smoke I can get through the rest of the
day ok.

I do think I might be onto something with this Mozilla Cocktail idea.
Not sure if it actually tastes good or not but I am sure having a lot of
fun trying to figure that out. And it's sorta like an ashtray. You
know, someplace to put your smoke when you you're working on something
else (hey, just drop that pop into your shot glass!). I would have
thought that Makers Mark would severely erode a Tootsie Roll Pop in 10
or 15 minutes but, apparently, TRPs are pretty sturdy things and are
designed to only be degraded by human saliva. Hmmm. This presents
various chemical and biological questions I'm not sure I want to
investigate.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Lyle McDonald

Leonidas Jones wrote:
> john wrote:
>
>> Hi, this is my first time using mozilla newsgroups. How do I delete a
>> read message so that I do not have to slog through all previous ones
>> to get to the latest?
>> TIA
>>

> You don't.
>
> In newsgroups, the messages are stored on the server, not on your
> computer, as with pop3 email.
>
> However, MozMail/News has a number of options for displaying message in
> newsgroups. Click the View menu from the toolbar. If you click
> View>>Threads, you can set the group to display all the messages,
> threaded, threads with unread messages, preserving the entire thread for
> review, or simply unread, which will display only unread messages.
>
> In an active group, I usually use Threads with unread. You can play
> around with the settings and see what best suits your needs.

Followup (since I was about to ask the same question). Is there anyway
to delete the message headers? I mean, I can just leave it on Unread
and only see unread messages but it'd be nice to be able to clean things
up every once in a while.

Thanks,
Lyle
make me not retarded for email

Leonidas Jones

Lyle McDonald wrote:

> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>
>> john wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, this is my first time using mozilla newsgroups. How do I delete a
>>> read message so that I do not have to slog through all previous ones
>>> to get to the latest?
>>> TIA
>>>

>> You don't.
>>
>> In newsgroups, the messages are stored on the server, not on your
>> computer, as with pop3 email.
>>
>> However, MozMail/News has a number of options for displaying message
>> in newsgroups. Click the View menu from the toolbar. If you click
>> View>>Threads, you can set the group to display all the messages,
>> threaded, threads with unread messages, preserving the entire thread
>> for review, or simply unread, which will display only unread messages.
>>
>> In an active group, I usually use Threads with unread. You can play
>> around with the settings and see what best suits your needs.

> Followup (since I was about to ask the same question). Is there anyway
> to delete the message headers? I mean, I can just leave it on Unread
> and only see unread messages but it'd be nice to be able to clean things
> up every once in a while.
>
> Thanks,
> Lyle
> make me not retarded for email

Headers are retained for different lengths of times on different
servers. Try clicking on the oldest header showing. If its expired, you
will get a warning page. Click on "Click Here to remove Expired Headers.

For some reason I've never really understood, this opens another Moz
Mail window. Close the original window, and the only headers showing in
that group will be unexpired ones.

Lee

Lyle McDonald

Leonidas Jones wrote:
> Lyle McDonald wrote:

>>> You don't.
>>>
>>> In newsgroups, the messages are stored on the server, not on your
>>> computer, as with pop3 email.
>>>
>>> However, MozMail/News has a number of options for displaying message
>>> in newsgroups. Click the View menu from the toolbar. If you click
>>> View>>Threads, you can set the group to display all the messages,
>>> threaded, threads with unread messages, preserving the entire thread
>>> for review, or simply unread, which will display only unread messages.
>>>
>>> In an active group, I usually use Threads with unread. You can play
>>> around with the settings and see what best suits your needs.

>> Followup (since I was about to ask the same question). Is there
>> anyway to delete the message headers? I mean, I can just leave it on
>> Unread and only see unread messages but it'd be nice to be able to
>> clean things up every once in a while.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Lyle
>> make me not retarded for email
>>

> Headers are retained for different lengths of times on different
> servers. Try clicking on the oldest header showing. If its expired, you
> will get a warning page. Click on "Click Here to remove Expired Headers.
>
> For some reason I've never really understood, this opens another Moz
> Mail window. Close the original window, and the only headers showing in
> that group will be unexpired ones.

Ok, thanks for the quick response. I guess I just got used to Netscape
which did a purge of unread messages every so often (I think I set a
preference) and cleared 'em all out.

Lyle