Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Learn by repetition - ruby exercises and answers?

Learn by repetition - ruby exercises and answers?

Shawn W_

I prefer to learn by repetition and I was wondering if there are any
Ruby exercise and answer orientated sites with lots of exercises,
starting with simple and progressing to harder.

This is what I've found so far:

http://blogs.pragprog.com/cgi-bin/pr...Practices/Kata (This site
sums up exactly my thinking on learning, but looking at the problems
that don't start easy. Something for later, after I learn to program
with any skill, because at the moment I can only call myself a dabbler
who's trying to improve).

http://projecteuler.net/index.php?section=view (maths orientated with a
programming problems section, the first one looked doable for me, but
not a Ruby exclusive site).

http://rubyquiz.com/ (Most too hard for me - I need super simple to
start).

Books I am aware of are:
Ruby Cookbook (too advanced mostly)
Best of Ruby Quiz (book form of http://rubyquiz.com/ listed above)

There are plenty of tutorial books running the beginner through Ruby,
some even have exercises, but usually only a couple at the end of each
chapter, if any. I'm after a source of hundreds of problems so I can
learn by repeatedly doing.

If you know of any sites or books close to what I'm after, and minus
what I've already listed, please post them.

ara.t.howard@noaa.gov

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007, Shawn W_ wrote:

> I prefer to learn by repetition and I was wondering if there are any
> Ruby exercise and answer orientated sites with lots of exercises,
> starting with simple and progressing to harder.
>
> This is what I've found so far:
>
> http://blogs.pragprog.com/cgi-bin/pr...Practices/Kata (This site
> sums up exactly my thinking on learning, but looking at the problems
> that don't start easy. Something for later, after I learn to program
> with any skill, because at the moment I can only call myself a dabbler
> who's trying to improve).
>
> http://projecteuler.net/index.php?section=view (maths orientated with a
> programming problems section, the first one looked doable for me, but
> not a Ruby exclusive site).
>
> http://rubyquiz.com/ (Most too hard for me - I need super simple to
> start).
>
> Books I am aware of are:
> Ruby Cookbook (too advanced mostly)
> Best of Ruby Quiz (book form of http://rubyquiz.com/ listed above)
>
> There are plenty of tutorial books running the beginner through Ruby,
> some even have exercises, but usually only a couple at the end of each
> chapter, if any. I'm after a source of hundreds of problems so I can
> learn by repeatedly doing.
>
> If you know of any sites or books close to what I'm after, and minus
> what I've already listed, please post them.

my reccomendation is this: read ruby-talk as you already are and begin to
answer simple questions. it's ok if your answers are not the best ones: just
be clear in your responses that you are learning and your answers should be
taken with a grain of salt. you will be suprised at how effective this is.
this is precisely how i've learned ruby and, to this day, i am digging into
tht ruby source in order to answer questions i've never considered or even
care that much about. i do this because

1) it helps me. i continue to learn about ruby even though i've been
doing this and coding ruby full time for 6 years.

2) it helps the community. this makes me feel good since it certainly
helped me in the beginning.

http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...ff&qt_s=Search

cheers.

-a
--
we can deny everything, except that we have the possibility of being better.
simply reflect on that.

Peter Szinek

> If you know of any sites or books close to what I'm after, and minus
> what I've already listed, please post them.

Some time ago I have solved a few exercises (15 to be exact - well some
of them have subexercises, so...) in Ruby. It's not much, but at least
it has "easier-to-harder" and "question-answer" properties you are
looking for.

http://www.rubyrailways.com/implemen...ming-language/

HTH,
Peter