Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > ruby coding guidelines?

ruby coding guidelines?

Stefano Zacchiroli

Is there in the Ruby community anything like "ruby coding convention"?

Google returns two interesting links:
- http://pub.cozmixng.org/~the-rwiki/r...dingConvention
- http://www.caliban.org/ruby/rubyguide.shtml#style

Are they "authoritative" for some meaning of the word?

Many thanks in advance,
Cheers.

(15:56:4 Zack: e la demo dema ? /\ All one has to do is hit the
(15:57:15) Bac: no, la demo scema \/ right keys at the right time

Chris Carter

On 1/21/07, Stefano Zacchiroli <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Is there in the Ruby community anything like "ruby coding convention"?
>
> Google returns two interesting links:
> - http://pub.cozmixng.org/~the-rwiki/r...dingConvention
> - http://www.caliban.org/ruby/rubyguide.shtml#style
>
> Are they "authoritative" for some meaning of the word?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
> Cheers.
>
> --
> Stefano Zacchiroli -*- Computer Science PhD student @ Uny Bologna, Italy
> zack@{cs.unibo.it,debian.org,bononia.it} -%- http://www.bononia.it/zack/
> (15:56:4 Zack: e la demo dema ? /\ All one has to do is hit the
> (15:57:15) Bac: no, la demo scema \/ right keys at the right time

There is no official/authoritative Style Sheet/Coding Conventions but
those two put together are what most of the community uses

--
Chris Carter
concentrationstudios.com

dblack@wobblini.net

Hi --

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, Chris Carter wrote:

> On 1/21/07, Stefano Zacchiroli <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Is there in the Ruby community anything like "ruby coding convention"?
>>
>> Google returns two interesting links:
>> -
>> http://pub.cozmixng.org/~the-rwiki/r...dingConvention
>> - http://www.caliban.org/ruby/rubyguide.shtml#style
>>
>> Are they "authoritative" for some meaning of the word?
>>

> There is no official/authoritative Style Sheet/Coding Conventions but
> those two put together are what most of the community uses

I'd also point to the standard library (at least most of it as a
good source of examples of traditional Ruby style.

David

Stefano Zacchiroli

On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 12:33:31AM +0900, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I'd also point to the standard library (at least most of it as a
> good source of examples of traditional Ruby style.

That's indeed what I usually do, but a visible document on the net would
be far more reassuring for newbies willing to following the community
best-practices

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 12:33:31AM +0900, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I'd also point to the standard library (at least most of it as a
>> good source of examples of traditional Ruby style.

> That's indeed what I usually do, but a visible document on the net would
> be far more reassuring for newbies willing to following the community
> best-practices

Like I said, "also"

David

James Britt

Chris Carter wrote:
> On 1/21/07, Stefano Zacchiroli <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Is there in the Ruby community anything like "ruby coding convention"?
>>
>> Google returns two interesting links:
>> -
>> http://pub.cozmixng.org/~the-rwiki/r...dingConvention
>>
>> - http://www.caliban.org/ruby/rubyguide.shtml#style
>>
>> Are they "authoritative" for some meaning of the word?
>>
>> Many thanks in advance,
>> Cheers.
>>
>> --
>> Stefano Zacchiroli -*- Computer Science PhD student @ Uny Bologna, Italy
>> zack@{cs.unibo.it,debian.org,bononia.it} -%- http://www.bononia.it/zack/
>> (15:56:4 Zack: e la demo dema ? /\ All one has to do is hit the
>> (15:57:15) Bac: no, la demo scema \/ right keys at the right time
>>

> There is no official/authoritative Style Sheet/Coding Conventions but
> those two put together are what most of the community uses

There is also style guide on the RubyGarden wiki
(http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby) , but the wiki doesn't seem to be
responding right now.

--
James Britt

"Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally
for machines to execute."
- H. Abelson and G. Sussman
(in "The Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs)