Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > [ANN] Tattle - The Ruby Census

[ANN] Tattle - The Ruby Census

Chad Fowler

Greetings and Happy New Year, Rubyists!

At the first Rails Edge conference (http://therailsedge.com), Jim
Weirich, Bruce Williams, and I were chatting about how to improve the
RubyGems platform-specific behavior, when we realized that it would be
really helpful to have more info about the install footprint of the
Ruby community at large.

So instead of going right into hacking RubyGems as was our plan, we
created a little census tool and an accompanying web site to help us
collect information. Most of the info we collect is from
Config::CONFIG, with the addition of the RubyGems version.

We know this information will help the implementers of RubyGems, and
we hope it will also help Ruby implementers and library developers as
well.

To install:

$ sudo gem install tattle

To submit your info:

$ tattle

If you want to see what would be posted before posting, you can do:

$ tattle report

The information gets posted to http://tattle.rubygarden.org. You can
view the posted data with your web browser at that URL.

Thanks!
Chad Fowler
http://www.chadfowler.com

Eric Hodel

On Jan 8, 2007, at 13:00, Chad Fowler wrote:

> Greetings and Happy New Year, Rubyists!
>
> At the first Rails Edge conference (http://therailsedge.com), Jim
> Weirich, Bruce Williams, and I were chatting about how to improve the
> RubyGems platform-specific behavior, when we realized that it would be
> really helpful to have more info about the install footprint of the
> Ruby community at large.

Note that this will help us complete the most-requested RubyGems
feature, the install --platform option.

--
Eric Hodel - http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) - http://blog.segment7.net

I LIT YOUR GEM ON FIRE!

Kashia Buch

Hi,

> collect information. Most of the info we collect is from
> Config::CONFIG, with the addition of the RubyGems version.

I find this a worthy cause, and shared my configuration options...
just to find out that I totally provided wrong information
about my system!

Reason: Tattle uses Config::CONFIG, which is where the ruby was
compiled in, not what it is running on.

$ uname -a
Darwin 8.8.0 Darwin Kernel Version 8.8.0: Fri Sep 8 17:18:57 PDT 2006;
rootnu-792.12.6.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC Power Macintosh powerpc

But tattle reported `arch, powerpc-darwin8.4.0`, just so. I
compiled ruby before on that system, upgraded, and now spread
false information.

Can happen, won't happen to many, just wanted to say so, how
clever your approach is, you might want to revise it a little?

Anyway, very nice idea, happy to be of service providing info,
have a nice day.

Kashia

Eric Hodel

On Jan 8, 2007, at 14:21, Kashia Buch wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> collect information. Most of the info we collect is from
>> Config::CONFIG, with the addition of the RubyGems version.

> I find this a worthy cause, and shared my configuration options...
> just to find out that I totally provided wrong information
> about my system!
>
> Reason: Tattle uses Config::CONFIG, which is where the ruby was
> compiled in, not what it is running on.

Its still darwin 8, so gems for your version of ruby should work ok
with gems compiled for any other darwin 8 version. If you built for
darwin 8 but your uname -a now reported AIX that would be cause for
alarm.

--
Eric Hodel - (E-Mail Removed) - http://blog.segment7.net

I LIT YOUR GEM ON FIRE!

Rob Muhlestein

Chad Fowler wrote:
> Greetings and Happy New Year, Rubyists!
>
> At the first Rails Edge conference (http://therailsedge.com), Jim
> Weirich, Bruce Williams, and I were chatting about how to improve the
> RubyGems platform-specific behavior, when we realized that it would be
> really helpful to have more info about the install footprint of the
> Ruby community at large.
>
> So instead of going right into hacking RubyGems as was our plan, we
> created a little census tool and an accompanying web site to help us
> collect information. Most of the info we collect is from
> Config::CONFIG, with the addition of the RubyGems version.
>
> We know this information will help the implementers of RubyGems, and
> we hope it will also help Ruby implementers and library developers as
> well.
>
> To install:
>
> $ sudo gem install tattle
>
> To submit your info:
>
> $ tattle
>
> If you want to see what would be posted before posting, you can do:
>
> $ tattle report
>
> The information gets posted to http://tattle.rubygarden.org. You can
> view the posted data with your web browser at that URL.

This is a great idea.

Are there plans to allow submission of a semi-anonymous collection of
internal census data from potentially thousands of internally managed
clients? Perhaps some way to submit to you directly a data file
containing a summation of the data submitted individually to tattle.

That --platform option sounds very interesting as does the whole
discussion of footprint.

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Rob Muhlestein wrote:
> Chad Fowler wrote:
>
>> Greetings and Happy New Year, Rubyists!
>>
>> At the first Rails Edge conference (http://therailsedge.com), Jim
>> Weirich, Bruce Williams, and I were chatting about how to improve the
>> RubyGems platform-specific behavior, when we realized that it would be
>> really helpful to have more info about the install footprint of the
>> Ruby community at large.
>>
>> So instead of going right into hacking RubyGems as was our plan, we
>> created a little census tool and an accompanying web site to help us
>> collect information. Most of the info we collect is from
>> Config::CONFIG, with the addition of the RubyGems version.
>>
>> We know this information will help the implementers of RubyGems, and
>> we hope it will also help Ruby implementers and library developers as
>> well.
>>
>> To install:
>>
>> $ sudo gem install tattle
>>
>> To submit your info:
>>
>> $ tattle
>>
>> If you want to see what would be posted before posting, you can do:
>>
>> $ tattle report
>>
>> The information gets posted to http://tattle.rubygarden.org. You can
>> view the posted data with your web browser at that URL.
>>

> This is a great idea.
>
> Are there plans to allow submission of a semi-anonymous collection of
> internal census data from potentially thousands of internally managed
> clients? Perhaps some way to submit to you directly a data file
> containing a summation of the data submitted individually to tattle.
>
> That --platform option sounds very interesting as does the whole
> discussion of footprint.

Yes, it's a great idea ... but ... you are going to get *very* biased
statistics, because many Ruby users will be prohibited, either
electronically or by organizational policy, from uploading such information.

http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

Bil Kleb

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

> Yes, it's a great idea ... but ... you are going to get *very* biased
> statistics, because many Ruby users will be prohibited, either
> electronically or by organizational policy, from uploading such
> information.

Our place is medium-paranoid, and after doing a "tattle report",
I was comfortable doing a "tattle". So far, our IT Security folks
haven't rained down upon me like the CDA in Monsters Inc.

Regards,
--
Bil Kleb
http://kleb.tadalist.com/lists/public/427170

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Bil Kleb wrote:
> M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
>>
>> Yes, it's a great idea ... but ... you are going to get *very* biased
>> statistics, because many Ruby users will be prohibited, either
>> electronically or by organizational policy, from uploading such
>> information.

> Our place is medium-paranoid, and after doing a "tattle report",
> I was comfortable doing a "tattle". So far, our IT Security folks
> haven't rained down upon me like the CDA in Monsters Inc.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Bil Kleb
> http://kleb.tadalist.com/lists/public/427170

Yeah ... I would have no problem with what tattle sent to the web site
on any of my three machines either. But it's better to check than run
the risk of getting written up in a corporate setting. Most folks work
in places that "tolerate" Internet use among employees but if you read
the corporate policy, you'll find that there are a lot of things you
can't do. Sending even that minuscule amount of system configuration
info somewhere is most likely a no-no in a lot of companies.

http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

Pit Capitain

Chad Fowler schrieb:
> To install:
>
> $ sudo gem install tattle

Chad, why does tattle depend on the hoe and rubyforge gems?

Regards,
Pit

James Edward Gray II

On Jan 8, 2007, at 10:25 PM, Bil Kleb wrote:

> So far, our IT Security folks
> haven't rained down upon me like the CDA in Monsters Inc.

<cracks up> I love that movie.

James Edward Gray II

2010 census taking richard Computer Support 7 03-23-2010 06:56 PM
Is my site working correctly? Trying to get a census. yerk5 HTML 2 07-23-2008 10:27 PM
1901 census TGH Computer Support 1 10-26-2007 09:14 AM
Census online - less than impressed. -=rjh=- NZ Computing 70 03-15-2006 08:47 AM

Advertisments