Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > removing Ruby success stories page from Ruby-lang.org

removing Ruby success stories page from Ruby-lang.org

Rahul

The list of ruby success stories page in ruby-lang.org is really lame.

compared to python success stories link this looks very weak.

i think this should be removed till the list looks a bit more impressive

dblack@wobblini.net

Hi --

On Sat, 6 Jan 2007, Rahul wrote:

> The list of ruby success stories page in ruby-lang.org is really lame.
>
> compared to python success stories link this looks very weak.
>
> i think this should be removed till the list looks a bit more impressive

It's supposed to be informative, not impressive. Perhaps people can
report their success stories and the page can be updated.

David

Gregory Brown

On 1/5/07, Rahul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The list of ruby success stories page in ruby-lang.org is really lame.
>
> compared to python success stories link this looks very weak.
>
> i think this should be removed till the list looks a bit more impressive

What would make it more impressive? I think this is a very subjective
topic, and I think comparisons between other languages are an
insufficient metric for determining whether the resource is helpful or
not.

Jeremy McAnally

Notable stories that should be added that I'm aware of:
- Amazon's UnSpun
- Ara Howard at the NOAA uses Ruby a lot

I don't think we need to dilute the page the way Python has done;
there are a lot of companies and people in there I've never heard of,
so their story means very little to me unless it's a tale of harrowing
programming adventure (which most of them aren't).

I think the page we have now is significant, but maybe needs to look
less like a list and more like a narrative outlining some of the
success stories. When I pop open both the Python and Ruby success
stories pages, all I see are links. I've looked at the Ruby one
before, but glossed over it because there was nothing compelling about
it. Maybe the content should stay but be presented in a more
interesting way?

--Jeremy

--
My free Ruby e-book:

My blogs:
http://www.mrneighborly.com/
http://www.rubyinpractice.com/

James Edward Gray II

On Jan 5, 2007, at 3:10 PM, Jeremy McAnally wrote:

> Notable stories that should be added that I'm aware of:
> - Amazon's UnSpun
> - Ara Howard at the NOAA uses Ruby a lot

Interview those people, write up little blurbs for them, and I will
add them.

James Edward Gray II

Tom Pollard

On Jan 5, 2007, at 4:10 PM, Jeremy McAnally wrote:

> Notable stories that should be added that I'm aware of:
> - Amazon's UnSpun
> - Ara Howard at the NOAA uses Ruby a lot

Google Sketchup is scriptable via Ruby, though I don't know if it's a
Ruby app per se. It's certainly the highest-profile app based on
Ruby that I've encountered.

Tom

James Britt

Jeremy McAnally wrote:
> I think the page we have now is significant, but maybe needs to look
> less like a list and more like a narrative outlining some of the
> success stories. When I pop open both the Python and Ruby success
> stories pages, all I see are links. I've looked at the Ruby one
> before, but glossed over it because there was nothing compelling about
> it. Maybe the content should stay but be presented in a more
> interesting way?

What is the purpose of having these at all?

--
James Britt

"Judge a man by his questions, rather than his answers."
- Voltaire

Rimantas Liubertas

> The method works. I am using PickAxe as my reference.
> I don't recall see any thing stating you could assign values in an array
> to variables by separating the variables by commas on the leftside of
> the
> assignment statement. I just want to know which book or reference
> should I use to
> understand why assignments can be made in this way?
> Or am I just seeing a side effect of my poor coding skills?

I guess you are seeing the effect of not reading the book carefully enough.
PickAxe, 2nd edition (paper version):

Page 91 'Assignment'
Page 92 'Parallel Assignment'
Page 338 'More on Assignment'
Page 340 'Parallel Assignment'

--
Regards,
Rimantas

Jan Svitok

On 1/5/07, Jacob, Raymond A Jr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I create a small method
>
> def counting(p1,p2)
> p1 = p1 + 1
> p2 = p2 + 2
> return p1,p2
> end

A bit offtopic: you can shorten this to:

def counting(p1,p2)
p1 += 1 # x += y is the same as x = x + y
p2 += 2
return p1,p2
end

or

or even

def counting(p1,p2)
return p1 + 1, p2 + 2
end

> sum-by-1s=0
> sum-by-2s=0
> while line = gets
> # need driver test the method
> line=line.chop
> sum-by-1s, sum-by-2s = counting(sum-by-1s,sum-by-2s)
> end

I don't think sum-by-1s is a good variable name. You can't use - in a
name. It's reserved for minus. Names are made of A..Z, a..z, 0..9, @
and _.

> The method works. I am using PickAxe as my reference.
> I don't recall see any thing stating you could assign values in an array
> to variables by separating the variables by commas on the leftside of
> the
> assignment statement. I just want to know which book or reference
> should I use to
> understand why assignments can be made in this way?
> Or am I just seeing a side effect of my poor coding skills?

This is normal. See the link below. It's used in block parameters as well

i.e.: you can do [[1,2],[3,4]].each {|a| ... } or [[1,2],[3,4]].each
{|a,b| ... }
in the former case you'll get [1,2] and [3,4] for a, in the latter
a=1,3 and b=2,4.

http://ruby-doc.org/docs/Programming...ssions.html#UC

Gregory Brown

On 1/5/07, Bryan Weatherly <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 1/5/07, James Britt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >

> > What is the purpose of having these at all?
> >

> I think the primary purpose is to sell the language to a complete layman.

A valid question is whether that is worthwhile or not. Of course,
it's a good thing to point a layman to if said layman is a potential
employer and you want to work with Ruby.

That having been said, creating your own mini-success story is much
more effective.

So I'm not really sure how I feel on the matter.

ASP.NET success stories? DC ASP .Net 9 12-04-2004 07:47 PM
Python Success Stories Update Stephan Deibel Python 0 08-18-2004 02:12 AM
O'Reilly Python Success Stories, volume II Stephan Deibel Python 0 05-03-2004 06:58 PM
Python Success Stories, volume II Stephan Deibel Python 0 04-30-2004 04:53 AM
Python Success Stories (was Re: Python used in Freedom Force) Stephan Deibel Python 0 01-18-2004 04:06 PM

Advertisments