Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > [WANTED] Solaris related modules

[WANTED] Solaris related modules

Daniel Berger

Hi all,

There's a couple Solaris related things I'd like if anyone needs a Ruby
related project. The first is an app that can take a gem spec and
convert it into a Solaris package (.pkg). The second is a wrapper for
Solaris services.

Also, I wouldn't mind a wrapper for pkg-config while I'm at it. I
noticed that there's a very basic one included with rcairo, but it
needs work, and ought to be bundled separately.

Any takers? I don't have time for these myself, but I thought someone
else might be interested. I'd be willing to host them on RubyForge if
there are any takers. Below are some related links.

Regards,

Dan

Creating Solaris packages:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/packages/....packages.html
http://www.bolthole.com/solaris/makeapackage.html

Solaris Services:

http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/...uickstart.html
http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/...dev_intro.html

pkg-config:

http://www.ece.umr.edu/web-cgi/unixs...and=pkg-config

Tim Pease

On 1/5/07, Daniel Berger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> There's a couple Solaris related things I'd like if anyone needs a Ruby
> related project. The first is an app that can take a gem spec and
> convert it into a Solaris package (.pkg). The second is a wrapper for
> Solaris services.

Okay, you've spent too much time in the snow

Seriously, though, what do you see as the benefit of converting a gem
into a Solaris package?

TwP

Daniel Berger

Tim Pease wrote:
> On 1/5/07, Daniel Berger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > There's a couple Solaris related things I'd like if anyone needs a Ruby
> > related project. The first is an app that can take a gem spec and
> > convert it into a Solaris package (.pkg). The second is a wrapper for
> > Solaris services.
> >

> Okay, you've spent too much time in the snow
>
> Seriously, though, what do you see as the benefit of converting a gem
> into a Solaris package?
>
> TwP

Short answer? System administration.

Long answer? I eventually hope to setup a tie-in with blastwave [1]
and/or sunfreeware [2], and generally make Ruby more popular among
system administrators using the Solaris platform.

Regards,

Dan

[1] http://www.blastwave.org
[2] http://www.sunfreeware.com

David Vallner

--------------enigC057AEC5DF648D58D99F9D1F

Tim Pease wrote:
> On 1/5/07, Daniel Berger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> There's a couple Solaris related things I'd like if anyone needs a Rub=

>> related project. The first is an app that can take a gem spec and
>> convert it into a Solaris package (.pkg). The second is a wrapper for=

>> Solaris services.
>>

>=20
> Okay, you've spent too much time in the snow
>=20
> Seriously, though, what do you see as the benefit of converting a gem
> into a Solaris package?
>=20

Avoiding having end users handle Yet Another Package Manager. Same
reason why anyone would use .debs or ruby libs on Debian.

Does Solaris use package repositories? This way, you could make
automated builds and let's say integrate all rubyforge gems into the
Solaris package management very, very easily. You can never go wrong
with more easy integration.