Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Proposal to create a new mailing list

Proposal to create a new mailing list

Jeremy McAnally

The Ruby website has some blogs and blog listings:
http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/community/weblogs/

Maybe start there?

On 12/30/06, Giles Bowkett <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > How about someone post a comprehensive list of "ruby expert" blogs so that I
> > can add them to my RSS reader. I may not understand the topics yet, but
> > I've found that immersing myself in ruby has helped me quite a bit.

> In addition to those already posted:
>
> http://blog.codahale.com
> http://weblog.jamisbuck.org/
> chad fowler
> prag dave
> james gray
> pat eyler
>
> ...honestly the best place to start is probably just to pick posters
> who seem intelligent and google them...
>
> --
> Giles Bowkett
> http://www.gilesgoatboy.org
> http://gilesbowkett.blogspot.com
> http://gilesgoatboy.blogspot.com

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Giles Bowkett wrote:
>> How about someone post a comprehensive list of "ruby expert" blogs so
>> that I
>> can add them to my RSS reader. I may not understand the topics yet, but
>> I've found that immersing myself in ruby has helped me quite a bit.

> In addition to those already posted:
>
> http://blog.codahale.com
> http://weblog.jamisbuck.org/
> chad fowler
> prag dave
> james gray
> pat eyler
>
> ...honestly the best place to start is probably just to pick posters
> who seem intelligent and google them...

Then again, just because someone is intelligent and has blogged about
Ruby, it isn't necessarily the case that they are a "Ruby expert". I've
certainly blogged about Ruby, but I don't claim to be an expert with it.
In fact, if you go poking around RubyForge, you can see I'm clearly a
rank beginner in Ruby.

http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

Gregory Brown

On 12/30/06, James Britt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> 2) Experts? Who decides? How 'bout we call the new list
> "r00by-1337-h4x0rz!1!"

I for one think that's an excellent name. +1

James Britt

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> Giles Bowkett wrote:
>>> How about someone post a comprehensive list of "ruby expert" blogs so
>>> that I
>>> can add them to my RSS reader. I may not understand the topics yet, but
>>> I've found that immersing myself in ruby has helped me quite a bit.

>> In addition to those already posted:
>>
>> http://blog.codahale.com
>> http://weblog.jamisbuck.org/
>> chad fowler
>> prag dave
>> james gray
>> pat eyler
>>
>> ...honestly the best place to start is probably just to pick posters
>> who seem intelligent and google them...
>>

> Then again, just because someone is intelligent and has blogged about
> Ruby, it isn't necessarily the case that they are a "Ruby expert". I've
> certainly blogged about Ruby, but I don't claim to be an expert with it.
> In fact, if you go poking around RubyForge, you can see I'm clearly a
> rank beginner in Ruby.

Often what's more useful than knowing is not knowing.

Some of the best blogs are from people asking interesting questions
rather than making assertions.

--
James Britt

http://www.rubyaz.org - Hacking in the Desert
http://beginningruby.com - Beginning Ruby: The On-line Book

Martin DeMello

On 12/31/06, Giles Bowkett <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > How about someone post a comprehensive list of "ruby expert" blogs so that I
> > can add them to my RSS reader. I may not understand the topics yet, but
> > I've found that immersing myself in ruby has helped me quite a bit.

> In addition to those already posted:
>
> http://blog.codahale.com
> http://weblog.jamisbuck.org/
> chad fowler
> prag dave
> james gray
> pat eyler
>
> ...honestly the best place to start is probably just to pick posters
> who seem intelligent and google them...

http://www.artima.com/buzz/community.jsp?forum=123 has a nice line up
of ruby blog{,ger}s

martin

Michael Shigorin

On Sun, Dec 31, 2006 at 01:39:56AM +0900, James Edward Gray II wrote:
> Who decides who the experts are?

Those who have been thanked for useful answer on ruby-talk@,
I guess.

--
---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <(E-Mail Removed)>

dblack@wobblini.net

Hi --

On Thu, 4 Jan 2007, Michael Shigorin wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 31, 2006 at 01:39:56AM +0900, James Edward Gray II wrote:
>> Who decides who the experts are?

> Those who have been thanked for useful answer on ruby-talk@,
> I guess.

That would include me, but I don't want to be put in a special
"experts" category or participate in any kind of stratification of the
community. I really hate all demarcation by levels, ranks, point
systems, and the rest of it. I know why they're done, and why people
like them, but I find them very unappealing. That's actually
something I've always treasured about the Ruby world: we don't label
people "novice" and "apprentice" and "wizard" and all that. We just
talk to each other.

David

Michael Shigorin

On Sun, Dec 31, 2006 at 11:05:43AM +0900, Eric Hodel wrote:
> Please go search the archives for why this list hasn't been split in
> the past despite a split being proposed nearly every six months.

"A Group Is Its Own Worst Enemy" by Clay Shirky[1] is surely
already grokked by everyone involved but I personally stopped
following ruby-talk@, although didn't unsubscribe, since there
are several high volume mailing lists of more importance to me
at the same time as I'm quite rarely developing anything at all.
(so if anyone cares to reply, please Cc: me personally; thanks)

Mind you, I've used mutt for a year or so when subscribing
ruby-talk@, so there wasn't much space left for optimization
already.

This is a very usual story, and to grow, wise listmasters and
"list elders" must know when to split discussion and keep its
volume practically consumable. One might remember one of the
very first major USENET votings on comp.os.linux split[2] not
to reinvent the historic solution to already known problem of
successful and growing projects.

PS: very nice FAQizer which could help those involved in list
maintainership to cherrypick useful discussions and easily put
them into categorized FAQ articles with original thread reference
once was at typo3.org but that was gone[3] since the latest major
site revamp (guess it's just too much trouble to touch the job
so nobody does).

PPS: happy New Year and merry Christmas!

[1] http://www.shirky.com/writings/group_enemy.html
[2] http://www.tdl.com/~netex/linux-doc-...de/node47.html
[3] http://typo3.org/documentation/maili...-list-archive/

--
---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <(E-Mail Removed)>

Robert Klemme

On 03.01.2007 17:10, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> That's actually
> something I've always treasured about the Ruby world: we don't label
> people "novice" and "apprentice" and "wizard" and all that. We just
> talk to each other.

+1

robert