Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Proposal to create a new mailing list

Proposal to create a new mailing list

Gregory Seidman

On Sun, Dec 31, 2006 at 03:00:33AM +0900, matt wrote:
} Or how about:
}
} ruby-lang-new-mailing-list-discussion
} ruby-lang-spam
} ruby-lang-announcements-that-might-be-spam
} ruby-lang-could-someone-do-my-homework-for-me-pretty-please
}
} or my favorite:
} ruby-lang-sarcasm

Best. Post. Ever.

} Happy New Year everyone!!
} Matt
--Greg

Trans

matt wrote:
> Or how about:
>
> ruby-lang-new-mailing-list-discussion
> ruby-lang-spam
> ruby-lang-announcements-that-might-be-spam
> ruby-lang-could-someone-do-my-homework-for-me-pretty-please
>
> or my favorite:
> ruby-lang-sarcasm

i think too many of you are bending this way out of shape. there are
good reasons for some division. honestly would you want all ruby-core
discussions on ruby-talk? how about rails discussions too? why bother
separating the japanese list from english? come on lets just have one
one big...

ruby-enchilada

t.

Pit Capitain

Trans schrieb:
> (...)
> Personally I think all these [Typo] blogs are the bane of of ruby-talk.
> Most posts would be much better served on a mailing list anyway.
> Communicating through blog comments is disorganized, decentralized,
> lacks audiance and cohesion. (...)

+1

Sometimes I read some blogs about Ruby, and often I wonder why those
messages aren't posted to ruby-talk. I almost never answer questions or
participate in discussions there for exactly the reasons you mention.

Regards,
Pit

Pat Maddox

On 12/30/06, Pit Capitain <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Trans schrieb:
> > (...)
> > Personally I think all these [Typo] blogs are the bane of of ruby-talk.
> > Most posts would be much better served on a mailing list anyway.
> > Communicating through blog comments is disorganized, decentralized,
> > lacks audiance and cohesion. (...)

> +1
>
> Sometimes I read some blogs about Ruby, and often I wonder why those
> messages aren't posted to ruby-talk. I almost never answer questions or
> participate in discussions there for exactly the reasons you mention.

Why not post to the list with a link to the blog, along with your thoughts?

Morton Goldberg

On Dec 30, 2006, at 11:39 AM, James Edward Gray II wrote:

> Who decides who the experts are?

Why the experts themselves, of course It's an old problem, isn't
it? Reminds me of Juvenal, the sixth satire: "Sed quis custodiet
ipsos custodes?" It was probably an old problem already in his day.

If the list _must_ be split, I urge the split not be made on the
basis of the poster's level of experience, but on the basis of
subject matter. I think spinning off a ruby-help list might be
generally beneficial. Those seeking help on coding or installation
problems could be more confident that they are posting to the right
list, and those who wish to avoid reading such posts could simply not
subscribe. Such a specialization would be commensurable with the
other specialized mailing lists such as ruby-core.

Regards, Morton

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Daniel Schierbeck wrote:
> Hello fellow Rubyphilics!
>
> As other have remarked, the quality of this list is rapidly declining --
> not because of a lack of participation, but rather because of the
> increase of the same.

I for one -- somewhere between Ruby nuby and Ruby expert but a genuine
expert in many non-Ruby things -- think this is rubbish! I don't for a
minute think that the quality of this list is declining, rapidly or
otherwise.

http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

Giles Bowkett

> Why not post to the list with a link to the blog, along with your thoughts?

I think this is a very good question.

Blogs are better in some ways. If you blog about the homework you want
other people to do for you, nobody's ever even going to see it.
Likewise if you have a thought it takes some time to develop, blogs
work slower, and encourage slower reactions. The worst blog fights
I've ever seen have been better than even mild flame wars.

At the same time, there's are good reasons mailing lists exist. But
the user of a Ruby mailing list is the Ruby community, and the user of
a blog about Ruby is also the Ruby community. So the idea that the
blogs and the mailing lists should serve the community in tandem, that
is actually a very, very good idea.

I think that sort of thing happens in general quite naturally, but
it'd be interesting to see what we could do deliberately to assist it.

I think that'd be a lot more useful than a ruby-experts list.

At the same time, I think it'd be really useful to stop the newbies
from being annoying AND make sure they have a forum to be newbies in.
There's a great post from Kathy Sierra's blog about how you have to do
this IF you want your user community to grow. It's targeted of course
at people who have that as an explicit goal; we seem to have it as a
phenomenon like the weather, something we can't do anything about
either way and just have to handle well whether we want to or not. But
since the community is growing and very probably will continue to
grow, it's worth thinking about.

http://headrush.typepad.com/creating..._build_a_.html

I think a ruby-answers list might be the most useful thing. People are
coming onto the general Ruby list to get specific answers, there's a
type of fun in answering their questions, but it's different from the
higher-level discussions that can also happen. Dedicating a space to
that particular type of social interaction might clear this space a
little bit. (If that is in fact a good goal.)

--
Giles Bowkett
http://www.gilesgoatboy.org

Devin Mullins

Giles Bowkett wrote:
> I think a ruby-answers list might be the most useful thing. People are
> coming onto the general Ruby list to get specific answers, there's a
> type of fun in answering their questions, but it's different from the
> higher-level discussions that can also happen.

Indeed. I learned a lot of Ruby very quickly by answering questions (and
reading others' answers) on ruby-talk.

Devin

Daniel Schierbeck

On Sun, 2006-12-31 at 02:14 +0900, Jeremy McAnally wrote:
> I think that's going to be a problem with any skill level based
> separator we create: Who is a beginner? Who is an expert? What if a
> beginner has a question that an expert needs to answer? If there
> needs to be a split, perhaps the only way to do it effectively is a
> topic driven one such as another's suggestion to create ruby-talk and
> ruby-help.

Much better than my idea. Thanks!

Cheers,
Daniel

Daniel Schierbeck

On Sun, 2006-12-31 at 06:27 +0900, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> Daniel Schierbeck wrote:
> > Hello fellow Rubyphilics!
> >
> > As other have remarked, the quality of this list is rapidly declining --
> > not because of a lack of participation, but rather because of the
> > increase of the same.

> I for one -- somewhere between Ruby nuby and Ruby expert but a genuine
> expert in many non-Ruby things -- think this is rubbish! I don't for a
> minute think that the quality of this list is declining, rapidly or
> otherwise.

I agree that it may just be that I'm not as enthusiastic as I have been,
but I've lost that urge to check the list every few minutes, just to see
if someone has posted something genius.

It's very subjective, so I'm basically asking if you're feeling the
same. You don't seem to, and of that I am jealous

Cheers,
Daniel