Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > [ANN] Ruby Reports 0.7.0

[ANN] Ruby Reports 0.7.0

Gregory Brown

Ruby Reports 0.7.0 : The St. Nick Edition

Ruport now has a brand new formatting system, some massive cleanup in
the internals, and merry chunky bacon for all!

== What is Ruby Reports? ==

Ruport is a framework specialized for business reporting. It provides
a custom toolkit that has features such as database interaction, data
manipulation, extensible formatting, and flexible report generation.

Ruby Reports makes reporting less painful by providing a simple and
consistent way of developing your applications. This lets you focus on
your task without undue friction.

== Installation ==

sudo gem install ruport -y

Detailed instructions here: http://ruport.infogami.com/Installation

== New To Ruport? ==

Please see our not-yet-complete getting started guide:
http://ruport.infogami.com/Getting_Started_With_Ruport

== Resources ==

Links to our mailing list, developer wiki, some basic examples, and
other resources can be found on our project homepage:
http://ruport.infogami.com

== Changelog ==

changes since 0.6.1

- The formatting system has been replaced with a new approach which is hopefully
more flexible and simple. Many of the plugins have gained some new features.

- All of the legacy formatting tools in format.rb have been removed.
(Namely, Text Filters)

- rope is now implemented via Ruport::Generator, which can be customized to
build your own code generation tools for Ruport.

- Several simplifications have been made to the Report DSL. (Now has
erb/textile methods and other feature enhancements)

- Constructor for Data::Table added to Kernel for convenience. [ Table() ]

- Invoice engine removed. Will be re-released as an extension soon.
See the Ruport mailing list for a temporary solution

== Project News ==

We've put together a project roadmap which we'll update as things progress:
http://stonecode.svnrepository.com/r...ProjectRoadmap

This is helpful if you want to see the 'big picture' of where Ruport is headed.

== Acknowledgments ==

Thank you to Stefan Mahlitz and llasram for the patches!