Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > What is the meaning of Dim

What is the meaning of Dim

chen li

Hi all,

Dim in VBA is a key word used to define variable. But
what does it stand for? For example

Dim varCopy As Long

Thanks,

Li

http://mail.yahoo.com

Li Chen

Paul Lutus wrote:
> Basically, in VBA, "dim" causes a variable to be declared and associated
> with a predefined data type or class.

In Ruby def is a breviation for the word define and what is the full
name for dim in VBA? I want to know it just out of curiocity. I don't
pay much attention to VBA but when I use WIN32OLE for Excel automation I
would like to know a little more.

Thanks,

Li

Mike Stok

On 14-Dec-06, at 4:09 AM, Li Chen wrote:

> Paul Lutus wrote:
>> Basically, in VBA, "dim" causes a variable to be declared and
>> associated
>> with a predefined data type or class.

> In Ruby def is a breviation for the word define and what is the full
> name for dim in VBA? I want to know it just out of curiocity. I don't
> pay much attention to VBA but when I use WIN32OLE for Excel
> automation I
> would like to know a little more.

My vague memories of Basic (not Visual Basic) include using DIM to
dimension arrays - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Dartmouth_BASIC#List_of_statements

I don't know when it changed into a general declaration lead-in.

Mike

--

Mike Stok <(E-Mail Removed)>
http://www.stok.ca/~mike/

The "`Stok' disclaimers" apply.

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Li Chen wrote:
> Paul Lutus wrote:
>
>> Basically, in VBA, "dim" causes a variable to be declared and associated
>> with a predefined data type or class.
>>

> In Ruby def is a breviation for the word define and what is the full
> name for dim in VBA? I want to know it just out of curiocity. I don't
> pay much attention to VBA but when I use WIN32OLE for Excel automation I
> would like to know a little more.
>
> Thanks,
>

> Li

DIMension -- from the original Dartmouth BASIC, which descended from
FORTRAN, where DIMENSION is spelled out.

HTH.

http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

Li Chen

Thank you all for the explanations,

Li

Tom Werner

chen li wrote:
> Dim in VBA is a key word used to define variable. But
> what does it stand for? For example
>
> Dim varCopy As Long

VB was actually created as a joke programming language by a college
student. He used 'Dim' for variable definition as a tongue-in-cheek
insult to those foolish enough to stumble across and end up using his
little project. Ironically, Microsoft ended up picking up the fledgling
language as their script of choice for business app customization, much
to the delight of the language's originator--for what could make better
comedy than throngs of business professionals typing Dim all day long,
secure in the thought that they were using a productive programming
language. Just the thought of it still makes me twitter with glee.

Tom

Jeremy McAnally

That story is untrue, and I believe meant as a joke.

At least I hope so, because the proper explanation is that Dim means
"dimension" as others mentioned before.

--Jeremy