Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > setting to release mode

setting to release mode

G. Dean Blake

The docs I have address two ways to set a .net web project to release mode:

- set to Release in vs.net dropdown
- set debug=false in the web.config

Why two ways? What's the dif? Are both required? What does each do?
TIA,

John Saunders

"G. Dean Blake" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:u28Lmg$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The docs I have address two ways to set a .net web project to release

mode:

> - set to Release in vs.net dropdown
> - set debug=false in the web.config
>
> Why two ways? What's the dif? Are both required? What does each do?

Setting "Release" is what you should use to set to release mode. Setting
debug=false simply turns off debugging. That may not be the only difference
between the Release and Debug configurations, so you should use the Release
configuration if that's what you want.
--
John Saunders
johnwsaundersiii at hotmail

Scott Allen

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 17:49:55 -0400, "John Saunders"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"G. Dean Blake" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

<snip>

>> Why two ways? What's the dif? Are both required? What does each do?

>Setting "Release" is what you should use to set to release mode. Setting
>debug=false simply turns off debugging. That may not be the only difference
>between the Release and Debug configurations, so you should use the Release
>configuration if that's what you want.

Setting debug="false" should be done in addition to a release mode
build in VS.NET. When debug is enabled pages do not batch compile,
pages do not timeout, debug symbols are generated, and some
optimizations are disabled. The result will be a relative performance
hit.

--
Scott
http://www.OdeToCode.com