Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Ruby and TAPI

Ruby and TAPI

Damjan Rems

Has anybody been succesfull combining Windows Telephone API (TAPI) with
ruby. What I need is start a ruby program on call and receive a caller
number.

I need to know if this has been done with ruby so I can further decide
on environment to use with application I will propose.

by

TheR

Jeremy Wells

Damjan Rems wrote:
> Has anybody been succesfull combining Windows Telephone API (TAPI) with
> ruby. What I need is start a ruby program on call and receive a caller
> number.
>
> I need to know if this has been done with ruby so I can further decide
> on environment to use with application I will propose.

Hi, I've not done this but I have written several applications a few
years ago to make use of tapi from vb6. TAPI calls are just like normal
win32 calls, and most of the work is with dealing with the returned
structures, creating an object model and responding to call backs. All
of these things are quite simple in ruby, and a full tapi implementation
in a vb6 dll project is about 4000 lines, so with ruby I doubt there
would be a problem.

However, it is still a considerable amount of work and I think it would
be wise to investigate if there is an existing off the shelf com library
that you can call from ruby with win32ole, or a .NET library that you
can call with .net bridge, as this would provide the object model for you.
--

*Jeremy Wells*

gregarican

Don't know if you are looking to develop a CTI-type application or just
control a computer's modem, but if it's the former and the phone system
is TSAPI compliant as well I created a Ruby TSAPI library for such a
purpose (http://tsapi.rubyforge.org).

Damjan Rems wrote:
> Has anybody been succesfull combining Windows Telephone API (TAPI) with
> ruby. What I need is start a ruby program on call and receive a caller
> number.
>

> I need to know if this has been done with ruby so I can further decide
> on environment to use with application I will propose.
>
> by
>
> TheR

Damjan Rems

Greg Kujawa wrote:
> Don't know if you are looking to develop a CTI-type application or just
> control a computer's modem, but if it's the former and the phone system
> is TSAPI compliant as well I created a Ruby TSAPI library for such a
> purpose (http://tsapi.rubyforge.org).

I have an ISDN phone connected to computers RS232 interface and a TAPI
driver. What I would like to achive is when phone rings I could get a
caller number which would than be processed further.

by

TheR

gregarican

I assume you are referring to a Windows host machine. If so then check
this URL --> http://www.programurl.com/software/tapi.htm. If I were you
I'd find a easy to use COM download and use that to grab the incoming
ANI.

Damjan Rems wrote:
> Greg Kujawa wrote:
> > Don't know if you are looking to develop a CTI-type application or just
> > control a computer's modem, but if it's the former and the phone system
> > is TSAPI compliant as well I created a Ruby TSAPI library for such a
> > purpose (http://tsapi.rubyforge.org).

> I have an ISDN phone connected to computers RS232 interface and a TAPI
> driver. What I would like to achive is when phone rings I could get a
> caller number which would than be processed further.
>
> by
>
> TheR

Why I can hear only one (calling) side using TAPI and H.323? semaphore VOIP 0 06-18-2009 12:00 PM
Python and TSAPI / TAPI loguser@almad.net Python 0 03-29-2006 11:34 AM
Python and TSAPI / TAPI Almad Python 0 03-29-2006 10:45 AM
Browser Control and TAPI =?Utf-8?B?S3Jpcw==?= ASP .Net 1 03-02-2004 02:07 AM
ATAT 186, CallManager and TAPI Akarama VOIP 0 02-05-2004 10:05 AM

Advertisments