Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Anyone else getting weird flickr errors?

Anyone else getting weird flickr errors?

Gregory Brown

When I post to RubyTalk, I've been getting a 'your photo upload
failed' message from flickr.

Weird! Anyone else seeing this?

Gregory Brown

On 11/24/06, Chris Carter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have been getting this too.

I'll probably set up a filter to auto-trash these, but this is
probably something that should be dealt with. :-/

Is there a ruby-talk admin that wants to complain to flickr or would
it be okay if I just contacted them?

Edwin Fine

Gregory Brown wrote:
> On 11/24/06, Chris Carter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I have been getting this too.

> I'll probably set up a filter to auto-trash these, but this is
> probably something that should be dealt with. :-/
>
> Is there a ruby-talk admin that wants to complain to flickr or would
> it be okay if I just contacted them?

I also have the problem. I already sent Flickr (help AT flickr.com) an
email, but more probably wouldn't hurt. The thing is, is it Flickr or
something that got hacked (heaven forbid) on ruby-talk?

Gregory Brown

On 11/24/06, Edwin Fine <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I also have the problem. I already sent Flickr (help AT flickr.com) an
> email, but more probably wouldn't hurt. The thing is, is it Flickr or
> something that got hacked (heaven forbid) on ruby-talk?

Not sure. I wonder if they require email verification. If you could
use ruby-talk as your email address, you could create this nice
annoying problem for its users.

Robert Klemme

Gregory Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 11/24/06, Edwin Fine <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I also have the problem. I already sent Flickr (help AT flickr.com)
>> an email, but more probably wouldn't hurt. The thing is, is it
>> Flickr or something that got hacked (heaven forbid) on ruby-talk?

> Not sure. I wonder if they require email verification. If you could
> use ruby-talk as your email address, you could create this nice
> annoying problem for its users.

Yeah, that would be my theory as well. Maybe some robot grabbed ruby-talk's
address from a news server and tried to spam it (obviously not with with
image spam since the message indicates there was no picture ).

Kind regards

robert

donn@cmscms.com

Shortly after reading the header to this message, my Outlook pop-up
alerted me to a received message from Flickr saying that my upload
failed. It wasn't until after I received the message in Outlook that I
opened your message here on the board.

Someone has some pretty slick $#!t in their hopper, as I haven't a clue
how they managed that. But then again, with Win XP, next to anything
can happen to you.

dvn

Gregory Brown wrote:
> When I post to RubyTalk, I've been getting a 'your photo upload
> failed' message from flickr.
>
> Weird! Anyone else seeing this?

Doug Kramer

I've been getting the same messages. Just started today. I'm on Macintosh
and Linux, not Windows. I use Thunderbird, not Outlook, so it has nothing
to do with Microsoft software.

-Doug

> Shortly after reading the header to this message, my Outlook pop-up
> alerted me to a received message from Flickr saying that my upload
> failed. It wasn't until after I received the message in Outlook that I
> opened your message here on the board.
>
> Someone has some pretty slick $#!t in their hopper, as I haven't a clue
> how they managed that. But then again, with Win XP, next to anything
> can happen to you.
>
> dvn
>

> Gregory Brown wrote:
>> When I post to RubyTalk, I've been getting a 'your photo upload
>> failed' message from flickr.
>>
>> Weird! Anyone else seeing this?

Steven Hansen

Doug Kramer wrote:
> I've been getting the same messages. Just started today. I'm on
> Macintosh
> and Linux, not Windows. I use Thunderbird, not Outlook, so it has
> nothing
> to do with Microsoft software.
>
> -Doug
>
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Shortly after reading the header to this message, my Outlook pop-up
>> alerted me to a received message from Flickr saying that my upload
>> failed. It wasn't until after I received the message in Outlook that I
>> opened your message here on the board.
>>
>> Someone has some pretty slick $#!t in their hopper, as I haven't a clue
>> how they managed that. But then again, with Win XP, next to anything
>> can happen to you.
>>
>> dvn
>>

>> Gregory Brown wrote:
>>> When I post to RubyTalk, I've been getting a 'your photo upload
>>> failed' message from flickr.
>>>
>>> Weird! Anyone else seeing this?

Yes, I've been getting them too. I get the error each time I send a
message. I'm on OSX using thunderbird.

-Steven

Trans

Gregory Brown wrote:
> When I post to RubyTalk, I've been getting a 'your photo upload
> failed' message from flickr.
>
> Weird! Anyone else seeing this?

Yes. And I've already contactee them. This is waht they said:

Hello,

Flickr allows its users to upload photos via email to a
secret email address tied to their account. These can be
uploads from a cameraphone or other device, or a script, or
a regular ol' email client. When we encounter problems with
the upload, we respond back to the email address that the
upload was sent from to let them know. In this case, the
email appeared to be from a mailing list you are a member
of, so the error response got sent there. I've added the
address of your mailing list to our block list to make sure
this doesn't happen again, and gotten in touch with the user
involved to try and figure out if these upload attempts were
done on purpose or not.

Thanks for your report.

Cheers,
Myles

T.

Luciano Ramalho

The response from Flickr quoted below was 12 hours ago, but the issue
was not fixed. I just sent a message to Ruby-talk and got the Flickr
error message back. Gmail is my mail app, so from all the other
reports we know this is not at all conected to the client-side apps.

Cheers,

Luciano