Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > [ANN] IHelp 0.4.0 - full text search

[ANN] IHelp 0.4.0 - full text search

Ilmari Heikkinen

View and search object documentation from irb.

sudo gem install ihelp

Downloads: http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=2597
Documentation: http://ihelp.rubyforge.org
Project page: http://rubyforge.org/projects/ihelp/
Screenshots:
http://ihelp.rubyforge.org/ihelp1.png
http://ihelp.rubyforge.org/ihelp2.png

REQUIREMENTS

* Generated RI docs (make install-doc)
* Ferret: http://rubyforge.org/projects/ferret

NEW FEATURES

On a bit of a similar tack with Mauricio, I wrote a full-text search
over RI docs to IHelp. Being a good deal less hardcore than him, I
used Ferret to achieve the task.

I think we'll merge the shared functionality some day, I'd rather roll
all the nifty backend stuff into RI and have IHelp be a user interface
to it.

QUICK USAGE

"How do I justify a string?"
ihelp 'justifying strings'
ihelp 'How do I justify a string?' # watch out for noise words

"I need to read little-endian ints from a string"
> String.help 'little-endian int'

"Hmm, how does String#unpack work?"
> String.help:unpack

"Okay, so now I have this Array of ints, what was the syntax of inject again?"
> ints.help:inject

"What is this object and what can i do with it?"
> object.help

"Someone told me that I should look up Mutex#synchronize... but I
don't have that loaded."
> help "Mutex#synchronize"

Add the following to your .irbrc:

# snappier by loading in the background.
Thread.new do
require 'ihelp'
end

## If you don't like the colors in the search results
# IHelp.no_colors = true

## Renderer to use, one of 'ri', 'rubydoc', 'emacs', 'source', 'html'
## default is 'ri'
# IHelp.renderer = 'rubydoc'

## Web browser to use with renderers 'rubydoc' and 'html'
## default is 'firefox'
# IHelp.web_browser = 'konqueror'

Parragh Szabolcs

Ilmari Heikkinen írta:
> View and search object documentation from irb.
>
> sudo gem install ihelp
> gem install ihelp

No builder for extension 'lib/ihelp_reindex.rb'
ERROR: While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
Gem files will remain installed in
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ihelp-0.4.0 for inspection.
No builder for extension 'lib/ihelp_reindex.rb'

-- what can be the problem?

--
Parragh Szabolcs
e-mail: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Ilmari Heikkinen

> Thanks for noticing this, should be fixed in 0.4.1.

Make that 0.4.2. Which is out now.

Hugo R. Brandao

How can i unsubscribe??

Thanx.

Parragh Szabolcs

Ilmari Heikkinen írta:
>> Thanks for noticing this, should be fixed in 0.4.1.

> Make that 0.4.2. Which is out now.

0.4.3 was it this morning But I get the following on my Ubuntu box:

>> require 'ihelp'

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ihelp-0.4.3/lib/ihelp.rb:318: warning:
already initialized constant RI_ARGS
=> true
>> String.help:unpack

unrecognized option `--readline'

For help on options, try 'ri --help'

--> and irb exits.

--
Parragh Szabolcs
e-mail: (E-Mail Removed)

hemant

On 11/17/06, Hugo R. Brandao <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> How can i unsubscribe??
>

> Thanx.

Please read:

http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/communit...-instructions/

gnufied
--
There was only one Road; that it was like a great river: its springs
were at every doorstep, and every path was its tributary.

Parragh Szabolcs

Ilmari Heikkinen írta:

> And I thought I was doing a good thing passing ARGV to RI..
> Thanks for proving me wrong, disabled it in 0.4.4

I updatet -- now it's okay. But now irb opens the help text in the pager
-- can I turn it off?

--
Parragh Szabolcs
e-mail: (E-Mail Removed)