Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Postgres/Postgres-pr - some confusion

Postgres/Postgres-pr - some confusion

Nick Black

Hello,

I'm doing some work using the ruby postgres lirbaries and I'm slightly
confused about a few things. I installed the postgres libraries
using:

gem install postgres posrgres-pr

If I use:

require 'rubygems'
require 'postgres-pr/connection'

I cannot use the following syntax:

db = PGconn.connect($HOST, "", "", "", $DBNAME , $LOGIN, $PASS)

Where as when I use:

require 'rubygems'
require 'postgres'

This syntax is fine. So there is obviously a difference between the
two libraries, but I'm kind of stuck for finding out exactly what the
differences are. I need

Based on this documentation:

http://phrogz.net/rubylibs/rdoc/index.html

and the docs from my local gems directory, I've got some things
working. But, when I try and the the PGConn.quote method, ruby
complains that there is no quote method, which according to the source
code I can find, there isnt, but which is listed in the documentation.
So I'm wondering if the documentation I have been looking at is
incorrect, if I am missing some libraries, or if I am not requiring
the correct libraries. I thought that the postgres-pr library was a
wrapper for the postgres.c library?

Any explanation / direction to documenation would be really
appreciated. Even just confirming if there is a PGconn.quote method
and which lirbary its in would be a great help!

CHeers

Nick

Kashia Buch

Hi,

>> orking. But, when I try and the the PGConn.quote method, ruby

PGconn.escape(str) should be available.

>> the correct libraries. I thought that the postgres-pr library was a
>> wrapper for the postgres.c library?
>>

> I thought the same thing until I was writing some basic queries using the
> connection and pgresult. The result type is different between the two.
> I've moved away from using postgres-pr because of the inconsistencies and
> belief that the c client will be faster anyway.

Yes, the c extension is much better, not perfect though.

When you have a look at Og (get 0.40 via rubygems), you'll see that a few
things have to be done to make the -pr more compatible to the c ext.

og/lib/og/adapter/postgresql/override.rb

I think it was Neumann who made the postgres-pr wrapper, which is a thin
layer around the dbi lib as far as I remember, it is pure Ruby, no C
involved.

Kash