Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > IRB - Switching "comment mode"

IRB - Switching "comment mode"

Marc Heiler

Hi,
I've been trying to solve this thing on my TODO list for some time
(ok, it's just on my list, and not of highest priority ), and
finally thought I'd post here.

In IRB, I would like to be able to apply a filter
when something is input to IRB (normally, copy pasted
in my example).
For example, I'd like to filter all lines that start
with a '#', and gsub this with '' so that
comments are evaluated instead.
Right now, when i copy/paste, i remove leading #'s
manually. Right now i'd picture using a little method
that switches between my "comment mode"s.

Now, making such a Regex is trivial. But how could I
apply a filter on IRB? I'd not mind to hack
up my irb but I dont even really figure out how IRB
gets all its things done. (That way I could apply a method
before that input, and depending on a global flag/var,
filter, or not filter that input)