Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Ruby GUI with IDE

Reply
Thread Tools

Ruby GUI with IDE

 
 
Josh Mr.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-11-2006
Hello all,

I am currently looking for a good easy to use IDE that includes GUI
development as well. Something like how C++ has DevC++ that suppots
wxWidgets and allows you to code and create frames at the same time. I
want something like this for Ruby. I have found VisualWx which supports
Ruby but I could not seem to get it to work at all. Right now I'm having
to develop my frame using Farpy (http://farpy.holev.com/), export it,
and then add any additional code in another IDE. This slows down the
process by a lot because any changes I make to the GUI forces me to
export it again and manually make the changes to my original source.

So, my question is what's a good GUI toolkit that has a really nice IDE
that supports Ruby?

Cheers,
~ Josh

--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-11-2006
Josh Mr. wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am currently looking for a good easy to use IDE that includes GUI
> development as well. Something like how C++ has DevC++ that suppots
> wxWidgets and allows you to code and create frames at the same time. I
> want something like this for Ruby. I have found VisualWx which supports
> Ruby but I could not seem to get it to work at all. Right now I'm having
> to develop my frame using Farpy (http://farpy.holev.com/), export it,
> and then add any additional code in another IDE. This slows down the
> process by a lot because any changes I make to the GUI forces me to
> export it again and manually make the changes to my original source.
>
> So, my question is what's a good GUI toolkit that has a really nice IDE
> that supports Ruby?
>
> Cheers,
> ~ Josh
>

This should be a FAQ. There are quite a few -- my favorite (on Linux)
is Kommander/Korundum/QTRuby.


--

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, FBG, AB, PTA, MS, MNLP, NST, ACMC(P)
http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

If God had meant for carrots to be eaten cooked, He would have given rabbits fire.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
AliasX Neo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-11-2006
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> This should be a FAQ. There are quite a few -- my favorite (on Linux)
> is Kommander/Korundum/QTRuby.
>
>
> --
>
> --
> M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, FBG, AB, PTA, MS, MNLP, NST, ACMC(P)
> http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/
>
> If God had meant for carrots to be eaten cooked, He would have given
> rabbits fire.


I'm running Windows, any good ones for that?

--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

 
Reply With Quote
 
David Vallner
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-11-2006
--------------enig00D162D28BF5E7B0E8394D29
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

AliasX Neo wrote:
> M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
>> This should be a FAQ. There are quite a few -- my favorite (on Linu=

x)
>> is Kommander/Korundum/QTRuby.
>>
>>
>> --
>>
>> --
>> M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, FBG, AB, PTA, MS, MNLP, NST, ACMC(P)
>> http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/
>>
>> If God had meant for carrots to be eaten cooked, He would have given=20
>> rabbits fire.

>=20
> I'm running Windows, any good ones for that?
>=20


The short answer: no.

The long answer:

If you manage to port qtruby4 to Windows, you get QtDesigner (overall
Qt4 seems to be designed to have the GUI layout created in that,
decoupling the UI design and behaviour implementations.) Things like
rubyuic should work the same on all platforms.

Another hope is the wx rewrite getting into a stable state, and wxGlade
supporting emitting of Ruby code. This is however just speculation.

Personally, if you need to do this sort of GUI development on Windows,
Ruby is so far rough around the edges.

David Vallner


--------------enig00D162D28BF5E7B0E8394D29
Content-Type: application/pgp-signature; name="signature.asc"
Content-Description: OpenPGP digital signature
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="signature.asc"

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (MingW32)

iD8DBQFFViaRy6MhrS8astoRAlUBAJ0cIesP071ifCd4sarjsd xs1Z8OBgCeJsLr
7qdz+xCBeiqHHJZRfsfRvKg=
=aSmP
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--------------enig00D162D28BF5E7B0E8394D29--

 
Reply With Quote
 
AliasX Neo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-11-2006
David Vallner wrote:
>
> The short answer: no.
>
> The long answer:
>
> If you manage to port qtruby4 to Windows, you get QtDesigner (overall
> Qt4 seems to be designed to have the GUI layout created in that,
> decoupling the UI design and behaviour implementations.) Things like
> rubyuic should work the same on all platforms.
>
> Another hope is the wx rewrite getting into a stable state, and wxGlade
> supporting emitting of Ruby code. This is however just speculation.
>
> Personally, if you need to do this sort of GUI development on Windows,
> Ruby is so far rough around the edges.
>
> David Vallner


That's what I figured, I guess I'm going to have to stick to ugly
command line programs.

Thanks anyways.

--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

 
Reply With Quote
 
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-11-2006
David Vallner wrote:
> AliasX Neo wrote:
>
>> M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
>>
>>> This should be a FAQ. There are quite a few -- my favorite (on Linux)
>>> is Kommander/Korundum/QTRuby.
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> --
>>> M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, FBG, AB, PTA, MS, MNLP, NST, ACMC(P)
>>> http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/
>>>
>>> If God had meant for carrots to be eaten cooked, He would have given
>>> rabbits fire.
>>>

>> I'm running Windows, any good ones for that?
>>
>>

>
> The short answer: no.
>
> The long answer:
>
> If you manage to port qtruby4 to Windows, you get QtDesigner (overall
> Qt4 seems to be designed to have the GUI layout created in that,
> decoupling the UI design and behaviour implementations.) Things like
> rubyuic should work the same on all platforms.
>

IIRC Caleb Tennis posted some encouraging words on this a couple of
weeks ago. I don't do Windows development, so I haven't even attempted
to make this work.

> Another hope is the wx rewrite getting into a stable state, and wxGlade
> supporting emitting of Ruby code. This is however just speculation.
>
> Personally, if you need to do this sort of GUI development on Windows,
> Ruby is so far rough around the edges.
>

Well, there's always CygWin <ducking>

But seriously, both the One-Click Installer and Instant Rails contain
FreeRide and the dependencies FXRuby and Fox. If you don't mind spending
some money, some combination of the ActiveState tool set (ActiveTcl,
Komodo 4, etc.) and the One-Click Installer or Instant Rails ought to be
workable. So should the Sapphire In Steel IDE that hooks into Visual
Studio. I don't know what shape the various Ruby/CLR projects are in, so
I can't comment on them. jRuby 1.0 will probably be better than any of
them, but I don't know how long it will be till that release.

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, FBG, AB, PTA, PGS, MS, MNLP, NST, ACMC(P)
http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

If God had meant for carrots to be eaten cooked, He would have given rabbits fire.


 
Reply With Quote
 
AliasX Neo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-11-2006
> Well, there's always CygWin <ducking>
>
> But seriously, both the One-Click Installer and Instant Rails contain
> FreeRide and the dependencies FXRuby and Fox. If you don't mind spending
> some money, some combination of the ActiveState tool set (ActiveTcl,
> Komodo 4, etc.) and the One-Click Installer or Instant Rails ought to be
> workable. So should the Sapphire In Steel IDE that hooks into Visual
> Studio. I don't know what shape the various Ruby/CLR projects are in, so
> I can't comment on them. jRuby 1.0 will probably be better than any of
> them, but I don't know how long it will be till that release.


You lost me there with the combination of ActiveState tools.

--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

 
Reply With Quote
 
David Vallner
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-11-2006
--------------enig829E05CBFA9827711E29C7DE
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

AliasX Neo wrote:
> You lost me there with the combination of ActiveState tools.
>=20


ActiveState Komodo supports targetting Ruby/Tk from its GUI builder, it
seems.

It's just that... Well... Ugh, Tk. <ducking yet faster>

David Vallner


--------------enig829E05CBFA9827711E29C7DE
Content-Type: application/pgp-signature; name="signature.asc"
Content-Description: OpenPGP digital signature
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="signature.asc"

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (MingW32)

iD8DBQFFVj6Zy6MhrS8astoRAvjyAJ4uXwj2OyKNNX6EUtfN+a XfPHzhlQCfTEQc
59HFg6IlA0mxOa8hjJtWbX4=
=CV8Z
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--------------enig829E05CBFA9827711E29C7DE--

 
Reply With Quote
 
AliasX Neo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-11-2006
David Vallner wrote:
> AliasX Neo wrote:
>> You lost me there with the combination of ActiveState tools.
>>

>
> ActiveState Komodo supports targetting Ruby/Tk from its GUI builder, it
> seems.
>
> It's just that... Well... Ugh, Tk. <ducking yet faster>
>
> David Vallner


I wasn't aware it has a GUI builder. I have ActiveState Komodo 3.5
installed on my computer right now. Is there some extension I need?

--
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Caleb Tennis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-11-2006
>>
> IIRC Caleb Tennis posted some encouraging words on this a couple of
> weeks ago. I don't do Windows development, so I haven't even
> attempted to make this work.


The word on the street is that it works, with a little coercion. It
sounds like the biggest issue is the build system, which was designed
for *nix.

I haven't verified because I'm not familiar with Windows development
and am too covered up to go down that path. I think Richard's in the
same boat.

We just need someone to figure out what needs to be done and tidy up
the process.

Caleb

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Ruby IDE with GUI capabilities JaredAngell@gmail.com Ruby 9 12-25-2006 08:16 PM
[Gui] Which GUI is available with Ruby? Flaab Mrlinux Ruby 3 11-15-2006 11:44 PM
[IDE] - The Dynamic Opportunity - ActiveState Komodo IDE / Open Source Ilias Lazaridis Python 6 01-28-2006 09:42 PM
Python IDE like NetBeans/Delphi IDE fowlertrainer@anonym.hu Python 5 04-06-2005 05:56 AM
enhanced ide vs ide AndyPaul Computer Information 1 01-01-2004 03:30 AM



Advertisments