Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > [ANN] FastRI 0.1.1 (fast+smart ri docs searching): configurable search strategies

[ANN] FastRI 0.1.1 (fast+smart ri docs searching): configurable search strategies

Mauricio Fernandez

FastRI is an alternative to the ri command-line tool. It is *much* faster, and
also allows you to offer RI lookup services over DRb. FastRI is smarter than
ri, and can find classes anywhere in the hierarchy without specifying the
"full path". Its RubyGems support is better than ri's, and it knows which gem
a method/class definition came from.

Getting it
==========
Additional information, tarballs... at
http://eigenclass.org/hiki.rb?fastri

FastRI can be installed with RubyGems:
gem install fastri
(if you get an old version/a 404 error, please allow some time after the
release until the package propagates to the RubyForge mirrors). Please read
below for an important note regarding the RubyGems packages.

Release information and change summary:
http://eigenclass.org/hiki.rb?fastri+0.1.1

Usage
=====
There are two parts to FastRI:
* the server: fastri-server
* the client: fri

FastRI uses a Rinda Ring to allow servers to be discovered automatically
without needing to indicate the DRb URIs manually. It can work across
machines if you make sure the ring server is bound to the correct interface,
and the ACL permissions are correct.

Examples
========
$ fastri-server (creates the index on the first run, blocks)

Later, (times measured with a cold cache):
$ time ruby bin/fri -f plain Array#fetch
------------------------------------------------------------ Array#fetch
array.fetch(index) -> obj
[...]
real 0m0.287s (real 0m0.127s with a hot cache)
user 0m0.048s
sys 0m0.008s

Compare to:
$ time ri -T -f plain Array#fetch
------------------------------------------------------------ Array#fetch
[...]
real 0m10.136s (real ~ 1.5s with a hot cache)
user 0m1.140s
sys 0m0.464s

This illustrates FastRI's ability to locate classes deep in the class
hierarchy:

$ fri Base
------------------------------------------------------ Multiple choices:

ActionMailer::Base, ActionView::Base, ActionWebService::API::Base,
ActionWebService::Base, ActionWebService::Client::Base,
ActiveRecord::Base, MapReduce::ActiveRecord::Base,
RSS::Maker::Base, Scruffy::Components::Base,
Scruffy::Formatters::Base, Scruffy::Layers::Base,
Scruffy::Renderers::Base, Scruffy::Themes::Base

$ fri Themes::Base
------------------------------------------- Class: Scruffy::Themes::Base
Scruffy::Themes::Base
Author: Brasten Sager

Date: August 14th, 2006

Compare to
$ ri Themes::Base .... several seconds later ...
Nothing known about Themes::Base

A small note about RubyGems + FastRI.
=====================================
RubyGems adds a noticeable overhead to fri, making it run slower than if you
installed it directly from the tarball with setup.rb.

Compare the execution time when installed with RubyGems:
$ time fri -f plain String > /dev/null

real 0m0.385s
user 0m0.244s
sys 0m0.036s

to the time fri actually takes to run, without the overhead introduced by
RubyGems:
$ time ruby bin/fri -f plain String > /dev/null

real 0m0.088s
user 0m0.040s
sys 0m0.008s

If you care about those extra 300ms (and there are situations where they will
matter, e.g. when using fri for method completion), get FastRI from the
tarballs.

License
=======
FastRI is licensed under the same terms as Ruby. See LICENSE.

Feedback
========
Bug reports, patches, comments... are appreciated.
You can contact the author via <(E-Mail Removed)>. Please add "fastri" to the
subject in order to bypass the spam filters.

--
Mauricio Fernandez - http://eigenclass.org - singular Ruby

Mikko Lehtonen

Mauricio Fernandez wrote:
> FastRI is an alternative to the ri command-line tool. It is *much* faster, and
> also allows you to offer RI lookup services over DRb. FastRI is smarter than
> ri, and can find classes anywhere in the hierarchy without specifying the
> "full path". Its RubyGems support is better than ri's, and it knows which gem
> a method/class definition came from.

Excellent work. Works perfectly on my osx box.
Though, standard ri goes in to 'less' mode, I kinda got used to that.
Could it be possible that with some ~/.fastri configuration file I
could control if I want to pass it though 'less -R' ? (I'm assuming
not everyone wants it as a default.)

Now to alias ri to fri and somehow make it fallback if the server
isn't running =)

--
Mikko Lehtonen

Mauricio Fernandez

On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 09:51:48PM +0900, Mikko Lehtonen wrote:
> Mauricio Fernandez wrote:
> >FastRI is an alternative to the ri command-line tool. It is *much* faster,
> >and also allows you to offer RI lookup services over DRb. FastRI is smarter
> >than ri, and can find classes anywhere in the hierarchy without specifying
> >the "full path". Its RubyGems support is better than ri's, and it knows
> >which gem a method/class definition came from.

> Excellent work. Works perfectly on my osx box.
> Though, standard ri goes in to 'less' mode, I kinda got used to that.
> Could it be possible that with some ~/.fastri configuration file I
> could control if I want to pass it though 'less -R' ? (I'm assuming
> not everyone wants it as a default.)

Sure, I'll implement it; it will probably be in 0.2.0. I always hated that
about ri though, so I think it'll default to pager-less mode

> Now to alias ri to fri and somehow make it fallback if the server
> isn't running =)

Jonas Pfenniger has done some work towards making fri launch the server (which
would run as a daemon). We're not there yet, but I've created a branch for
that at http://eigenclass.org/repos/fastri/branch-daemon/ (hint: help appreciated

The bin/fastri-server you'll find there honors a -d option to run in the
background. This works already, using the 'daemons' gem, but it'd be best if
we could get rid of that dependency (a reasonable #daemonize should take a
dozen lines). bin/fri already tries to start the server when it cannot be
found, but this is not working yet (did I say that patches are appreciated? .
Another pending issue is win32 compatibility: would it be possible to write
something equivalent to #daemonize without fork()?

--
Mauricio Fernandez - http://eigenclass.org - singular Ruby

Mauricio Fernandez

On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 09:51:48PM +0900, Mikko Lehtonen wrote:
> Excellent work. Works perfectly on my osx box.

=====
> Now to alias ri to fri and somehow make it fallback if the server
> isn't running =)

I forgot to point you to
http://kakutani.com/20061108.html
which shows how to run fastri-server automatically when you login on OSX.

--
Mauricio Fernandez - http://eigenclass.org - singular Ruby