Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > [ANN] bfts 1.0.0 Released

Reply
Thread Tools

[ANN] bfts 1.0.0 Released

 
 
Ryan Davis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-31-2006
bfts version 1.0.0 has been released!

http://rubyforge.org/projects/bfts

BFTS is a branch of rubicon with the intent of auditing all of rubicon
against the latest version of 1.8.x, stripping all the cruft, and
getting everything up to date again. rubicon is dead and the authors
have shown no interest in getting things moving again. BFTS hopes to
fix that.

Changes:

*** 1.0.0 / 2005-10-28
+ 1 major enhancement
+ Birthday!

http://rubyforge.org/projects/bfts


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-31-2006
Ryan Davis wrote:
> bfts version 1.0.0 has been released!
>
> http://rubyforge.org/projects/bfts
>
> BFTS is a branch of rubicon with the intent of auditing all of rubicon
> against the latest version of 1.8.x, stripping all the cruft, and
> getting everything up to date again. rubicon is dead and the authors
> have shown no interest in getting things moving again. BFTS hopes to
> fix that.
>
> Changes:
>
> *** 1.0.0 / 2005-10-28
> + 1 major enhancement
> + Birthday!
>
> http://rubyforge.org/projects/bfts
>
>
>

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I'm going to go out and buy a new hard
drive and some RAM to celebrate!!

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ben Bleything
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-31-2006
On Wed, Nov 01, 2006, Ryan Davis wrote:
> Try to figure out how to emulate 'p4 describe' and make it just as
> fast as perforce. For that matter, 'p4 filelog', 'p4 changes', and
> 'p4 opened -a' (haha, you can't do that one!)


granted

> Oh! And try diffing while ignoring whitespace! HAHAHAHA Real friendly
> there!


also granted

> o rly? What backend does rails use?


No idea. If it's at rubyforge, fsfs apparently.

> Yup. HUGE hurdle there... and I thought working with the brilliance
> that is my code would be worth that. I suppose I could create a
> script to automate this, but it is a one time shot so I don't see it
> being worth that. I guess I should consider it a bozo filter. Those
> people that seriously want to work on our projects will jump through
> our hoops. Those that don't, won't.


Not a hurdle. You just asked why it's harder to adopt... 8 steps vs. 2
steps... even if those 8 steps are easy (which they are!). Speaking of
which, look for an email from me soon to get set up

> That is a feature and a damned good one I wish svn had. "Oh? Eric is
> working on this file? Maybe I should talk to him before I go ripping
> stuff up!" Communication. What software development is REALLY about...


Yup, again, personal preference. I don't miss it because I've never
needed it. Ask me again once I have and I'm sure I'll be on your side.

> >Again, not bad, just different... but in a way that does make it a
> >pain to adopt.

>
> bah


I agree.

Ben

 
Reply With Quote
 
Ryan Davis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-31-2006

On Oct 31, 2006, at 11:55 AM, Tim Pease wrote:

> On 10/30/06, Ryan Davis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> bfts version 1.0.0 has been released!
>>
>> http://rubyforge.org/projects/bfts
>>
>> BFTS is a branch of rubicon with the intent of auditing all of
>> rubicon
>> against the latest version of 1.8.x, stripping all the cruft, and
>> getting everything up to date again. rubicon is dead and the authors
>> have shown no interest in getting things moving again. BFTS hopes to
>> fix that.
>>

>
> Ryan, is this going to be a one developer project?


Oh hell no.

> You have already
> demonstrated your +60 "keyboard of coding might", but this still seems
> like a huge project for a single individual. Are you looking for
> worker bees to help out on this one?


PLEASE. +60 VORPAL keyboard of coding might!

Yes, we'd love other contributors.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill Kelly
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-31-2006
From: "Ryan Davis" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> On Oct 31, 2006, at 11:46 AM, Ben Bleything wrote:
>
>> There's also the whole "lock individual files with 'p4 edit'" thing,
>> which I admit is purely personal preference, but I like the svn
>> workflow
>> better.

>
> That is a feature and a damned good one I wish svn had. "Oh? Eric is
> working on this file? Maybe I should talk to him before I go ripping
> stuff up!" Communication. What software development is REALLY about...


Interesting. The kind of Communication I remember as the
staple of locking-style VC projects went something like this:
"Bob, I need access to frobozz.cpp, will you be checking in
soon?" "Well, I haven't changed frobozz very much, but if I
check it in it won't compile for you. I can't check it in until
I finish with XYZZY, then I'll check in all these files at once."
"Oh... well I guess I'll just modify my copy locally and merge
manually, as usual."

I *never* want to go back to that. Maybe this isn't so much
of an issue with p4, since it apparently _does_ know how to
merge changes? (The old locking-style VC systems I used didn't
know about merging at all.)

Just wondering,

Bill



 
Reply With Quote
 
Charles Oliver Nutter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-31-2006
Ryan Davis wrote:
>
> On Oct 31, 2006, at 11:55 AM, Tim Pease wrote:
>> You have already
>> demonstrated your +60 "keyboard of coding might", but this still seems
>> like a huge project for a single individual. Are you looking for
>> worker bees to help out on this one?

>
> PLEASE. +60 VORPAL keyboard of coding might!
>
> Yes, we'd love other contributors.


I understand SCM preference, but this is probably the primary reason
projects choose SVN or CVS over anything else. Your average contributor
is going to be far more likely to know SVN or CVS than P4 or anything
else. Also, direct tool support for those tends to be greater because
they're 100% free and pervasive in the OSS community.

So the tradeoff for your SCM of preference (P4) is ease of contribution.
If that's not as important, no problem. It would never work for JRuby,
for example, where we have something like 20 external contributors
throwing patches at us and even more running off trunk.

--
Charles Oliver Nutter, JRuby Core Developer
Blogging on Ruby and Java @ headius.blogspot.com
Help spec out Ruby today! @ www.headius.com/rubyspec
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) -- (E-Mail Removed)

 
Reply With Quote
 
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-01-2006
Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
> Ryan Davis wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 31, 2006, at 11:55 AM, Tim Pease wrote:
>>> You have already
>>> demonstrated your +60 "keyboard of coding might", but this still seems
>>> like a huge project for a single individual. Are you looking for
>>> worker bees to help out on this one?

>>
>> PLEASE. +60 VORPAL keyboard of coding might!
>>
>> Yes, we'd love other contributors.

>
> I understand SCM preference, but this is probably the primary reason
> projects choose SVN or CVS over anything else. Your average contributor
> is going to be far more likely to know SVN or CVS than P4 or anything
> else. Also, direct tool support for those tends to be greater because
> they're 100% free and pervasive in the OSS community.
>
> So the tradeoff for your SCM of preference (P4) is ease of contribution.
> If that's not as important, no problem. It would never work for JRuby,
> for example, where we have something like 20 external contributors
> throwing patches at us and even more running off trunk.
>


I'd be happy if the CVS and SVN folks would settle their war so I don't
need to learn both.

Seriously, though, I have two projects on RubyForge, one in CVS and the
other in SVN. Don't ask me why; I don't know. The only one I use
actively is the CVS one.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Charles Oliver Nutter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-01-2006
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> I'd be happy if the CVS and SVN folks would settle their war so I don't
> need to learn both.
>
> Seriously, though, I have two projects on RubyForge, one in CVS and the
> other in SVN. Don't ask me why; I don't know. The only one I use
> actively is the CVS one.


I can't say I'm a huge fan of either, but they're no-brainers to use for
open source. Not with any other SCM could I just toss an offhand URL out
and know that people would be able to handle everything. Really all I
need to do to get someone involved is say "it's in SVN, here's the URL".
Done and done. That's a huge advantage for getting folks involved.

And as slow as it is, the DAV-based SVN servers are just about the
easiest ones to work with. Not only you can use non-SVN tools to pull
files if necessary (i.e. mount as a folder if you wish) but you can poke
around in an ordinary web browser. Unpleasant for day-to-day commits,
but trivial to make source available to a wide audience.

--
Charles Oliver Nutter, JRuby Core Developer
Blogging on Ruby and Java @ headius.blogspot.com
Help spec out Ruby today! @ www.headius.com/rubyspec
(E-Mail Removed) -- (E-Mail Removed)

 
Reply With Quote
 
Austin Ziegler
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-01-2006
On 10/31/06, Bill Kelly <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Interesting. The kind of Communication I remember as the
> staple of locking-style VC projects went something like this:
> "Bob, I need access to frobozz.cpp, will you be checking in
> soon?" "Well, I haven't changed frobozz very much, but if I
> check it in it won't compile for you. I can't check it in until
> I finish with XYZZY, then I'll check in all these files at once."
> "Oh... well I guess I'll just modify my copy locally and merge
> manually, as usual."
>
> I *never* want to go back to that. Maybe this isn't so much
> of an issue with p4, since it apparently _does_ know how to
> merge changes? (The old locking-style VC systems I used didn't
> know about merging at all.)


It isn't an issue with p4. We use it at work. Even if Perforce didn't
offer free licenses for open source work, it's worth every freakin'
penny.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * (E-Mail Removed) * http://www.halostatue.ca/
* (E-Mail Removed) * http://www.halostatue.ca/feed/
* (E-Mail Removed)

 
Reply With Quote
 
Cameron McBride
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-01-2006
ok, since this thread has veered it's head toward SCMs, I'm also
throwing in my irrelevant opinion. Git has been a most welcome
addition to my workflow: distributed, direct, easy branching and (so
far) good merging. Oh, and it has git-cvsserver that serves as a
two-way bridge for those that insist on CVS (albeit for a simple
subset of CVS commands).

It can be served read-only from an http mounted directory (although
not efficiently), and comes with a perl CGI script to view repos.

Cameron

p.s. I agree with the multicolored chunks bit.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Win XP wireless network adapter gets released and then connects ba =?Utf-8?B?cGkyMmJ5Nw==?= Wireless Networking 1 08-01-2008 08:33 PM
Metaruby, BFTS, Cardinal and Rubicon - State of play? Chris Roos Ruby 25 09-17-2006 06:37 PM
Battlefield 2 New Patch Released (yet Again...) Silverstrand Front Page News 4 07-20-2005 04:33 PM
Firefox 1.0.1 released Z Firefox 2 02-26-2005 04:11 AM
ANN: Anyplace Control 2.6 released Yura Goncharuk Wireless Networking 0 09-28-2004 10:13 AM



Advertisments