Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Gettext of variables

Gettext of variables

Matthew Hauck

Greetings!

Basically, I would like to do the following:

---
string = 'test string'
puts _(string)
---

But, it seems that gettext does not seem to work on variables, only on
literals. I am a newbie to gettext. I can get it to translate literals
fine. But it will not translate variables, even when I am sure that
the value of the variable is indeed translated in the mo file.

Any thoughts? Thanks!