Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Incremental search

Incremental search

Mark Goldin

Can a dropdownlist be a fully functional Incremental search control?
As far as I can see it only takes a first letter when I am trying to type
something in.

Thanks

Jeffrey Palermo [MCP]

Mark,
You have to remember that the DropDownList renders as an HTML Select
element. In the HTML Select element, you can type in a letter to jump to an
entry, but it will not support the feature you describe. This isn't a
non-feature of ASP.NET, but HTML.

Best Regards,
Jeffrey Palermo

"Mark Goldin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can a dropdownlist be a fully functional Incremental search control?
> As far as I can see it only takes a first letter when I am trying to type
> something in.
>
> Thanks

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi Mark,

Check this out?

Smart DropDownList

http://www.asp.net/ControlGallery/Co...967&tabindex=2

Ken

"Mark Goldin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can a dropdownlist be a fully functional Incremental search control?
> As far as I can see it only takes a first letter when I am trying to type
> something in.
>
> Thanks

Samuel L Matzen

Mark,

Check out the WebCombo control from Infragistics.

-Sam Matzen

"Mark Goldin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can a dropdownlist be a fully functional Incremental search control?
> As far as I can see it only takes a first letter when I am trying to type
> something in.
>
> Thanks

mglil mglil is offline
Junior Member

try this link http://asp.net/AJAX/Control-Toolkit/...oComplete.aspx

danico danico is offline
Junior Member

You may want to have a look at Exorbyte (software company from Germany).
Ajax incremental search doesn't have to be slow and cumbersome anymore.
Good luck.

rxiong rxiong is offline
Junior Member

Hi,

Here's a cool commercial control called Dynamic List Field at xnodesystems.com. It's capable of:

(1) Autocomplete (incremental search as you type)
(2) Validation
(3) Associating a label with the field.

Richard Xiong
Founder, xnodesystems.com