Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Recommendations for a Ruby Wiki, preferably with bidi support?

Recommendations for a Ruby Wiki, preferably with bidi support?

James Britt

Joel VanderWerf wrote:

> If I were developing a wiki, I'd try using something like my FSDB[1] lib
> (or maybe KirbyBase[2], which I don't know well), which uses the file
> system for persistence, and is pure ruby.

I recently built a app the lead me to create a lightweight MVC Web
framework using Og+Kirbybase.

Very nice combination, and Kirbybase makes it easy to
manipulate/recover/inspect the data using ssh and vi, if need be.

But fsdb looks really good; I have to try that next.

--
James Britt

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly
universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by
uncertainty cannot be the truth."
- R. Feynman

Alder Green

Thanks everyone for the information.

My conclusion is that currently there is no compelling Ruby Wiki solution.

Instiki has too few active developers (only one, apparently?). Pimki
is similarly afflicted.

Though I greatly prefer Ruby as a technology, I can't commit to a
system that has such a tiny developer - and accordingly also user -
communities.

It's a shame that there is no attractive Ruby Wiki. I guess the reason
is that PHP already had several mature, advanced Wikis (as well as
CMSes, BBs..), with large communities of active developers, when Ruby
started to become popular.

My next step is to investigate non-Ruby Wikis, with Dokuwiki being the
first, as it was recommended by James and seems to fit my (rather
humble requirements.

-Alder

visenger@gmail.com

Hello Alder,

did you tried Pandora?

http://pandora.rubyveil.com/pandora/...uction/Pandora

Cheers,
Larysa

Alder Green wrote:
> We are going to deploy a Wiki system for a medium load website. Any
> recommended Ruby options?
>
> The Wiki doesn't have to be feature-rich. It can be simple, but should
> be elegant and easily extendable, as the people who are going to use
> it are mostly hackers.
>
> The only special requirement is that it would have decent bidi support
> (for Hebrew pages). But if you know a good Wiki codebase answering the
> above description, we might extend it to support bidi by ourselves.
>
> Cheers,
> -Alder

zoat

.......and what about Hiki wiki:
http://hikiwiki.org/en/

Alder Green wrote:
> Thanks everyone for the information.
>
> My conclusion is that currently there is no compelling Ruby Wiki solution.
>
> Instiki has too few active developers (only one, apparently?). Pimki
> is similarly afflicted.
>
> Though I greatly prefer Ruby as a technology, I can't commit to a
> system that has such a tiny developer - and accordingly also user -
> communities.
>
> It's a shame that there is no attractive Ruby Wiki. I guess the reason
> is that PHP already had several mature, advanced Wikis (as well as
> CMSes, BBs..), with large communities of active developers, when Ruby
> started to become popular.
>
> My next step is to investigate non-Ruby Wikis, with Dokuwiki being the
> first, as it was recommended by James and seems to fit my (rather
> humble requirements.
>
> -Alder

Matt Lawrence

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006, Alder Green wrote:

> It's a shame that there is no attractive Ruby Wiki. I guess the reason
> is that PHP already had several mature, advanced Wikis (as well as
> CMSes, BBs..), with large communities of active developers, when Ruby
> started to become popular.

I have used Soks with great success. Very easy to install and run, but
not tremendously featureful. I highly recommend it for cases where it
does enough.

> My next step is to investigate non-Ruby Wikis, with Dokuwiki being the
> first, as it was recommended by James and seems to fit my (rather
> humble requirements.

Please let me know what you find out, I need to set up a wiki at work.

-- Matt
It's not what I know that counts.

Bil Kleb

Matt Lawrence wrote:

> I have used Soks with great success. Very easy to install and run, but
> not tremendously featureful. I highly recommend it for cases where it
> does enough.

FWIW, internally we run a center-wide Soks wiki. We haven't
really found features lacking, except an fancy UI like writely
or writeboard. (People get confused when they hit 'edit'
and are greeted by Textile.)

Later,
--
Bil Kleb
http://fun3d.larc.nasa.gov

Matt Lawrence

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006, Bil Kleb wrote:

> Matt Lawrence wrote:
>>
>> I have used Soks with great success. Very easy to install and run, but not
>> tremendously featureful. I highly recommend it for cases where it does
>> enough.

> FWIW, internally we run a center-wide Soks wiki. We haven't
> really found features lacking, except an fancy UI like writely
> or writeboard. (People get confused when they hit 'edit'
> and are greeted by Textile.)

Any suggestion on the best way to add some type of login and
authentication?

-- matt
It's not what I know that counts.

Rick DeNatale

On 10/23/06, Alder Green <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Thanks everyone for the information.
>
> My conclusion is that currently there is no compelling Ruby Wiki solution.
>
> Instiki has too few active developers (only one, apparently?). Pimki
> is similarly afflicted.
>
> Though I greatly prefer Ruby as a technology, I can't commit to a
> system that has such a tiny developer - and accordingly also user -
> communities.
>
> It's a shame that there is no attractive Ruby Wiki. I guess the reason
> is that PHP already had several mature, advanced Wikis (as well as
> CMSes, BBs..), with large communities of active developers, when Ruby
> started to become popular.
>
> My next step is to investigate non-Ruby Wikis, with Dokuwiki being the
> first, as it was recommended by James and seems to fit my (rather
> humble requirements.

You might have a look at mediawiki. It's quite full-functioned (it's
what runs wikipedia). For PHP code it's also quite well structured.

The one thing which some find lacking in mediawiki is a sophisticated
permissions system. But folks looking for that should probably be
looking at a CMS rather than a wiki. You can set up mediawiki to
require registration before editing, and there are a few roles for
administration vs. contributors.

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Rick DeNatale wrote:
> On 10/23/06, Alder Green <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Thanks everyone for the information.
>>
>> My conclusion is that currently there is no compelling Ruby Wiki
>> solution.
>>
>> Instiki has too few active developers (only one, apparently?). Pimki
>> is similarly afflicted.
>>
>> Though I greatly prefer Ruby as a technology, I can't commit to a
>> system that has such a tiny developer - and accordingly also user -
>> communities.
>>
>> It's a shame that there is no attractive Ruby Wiki. I guess the reason
>> is that PHP already had several mature, advanced Wikis (as well as
>> CMSes, BBs..), with large communities of active developers, when Ruby
>> started to become popular.
>>
>> My next step is to investigate non-Ruby Wikis, with Dokuwiki being the
>> first, as it was recommended by James and seems to fit my (rather
>> humble requirements.

> You might have a look at mediawiki. It's quite full-functioned (it's
> what runs wikipedia). For PHP code it's also quite well structured.
>
> The one thing which some find lacking in mediawiki is a sophisticated
> permissions system. But folks looking for that should probably be
> looking at a CMS rather than a wiki. You can set up mediawiki to
> require registration before editing, and there are a few roles for
> administration vs. contributors.

Hieraki?

Alder Green

On 10/25/06, Rick DeNatale <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> You might have a look at mediawiki. It's quite full-functioned (it's
> what runs wikipedia).

Indeed, and apparently also the Hebrew version of Wikipedia
(he.wikipedia.org), so its Hebrew support is excellent.

> For PHP code it's also quite well structured.

Good to know. Most of the people who might be willing to hack on the
Wiki code have some PHP experience. I'd much prefer Ruby, but
well-structured PHP takes out some of the sting

> The one thing which some find lacking in mediawiki is a sophisticated
> permissions system. But folks looking for that should probably be
> looking at a CMS rather than a wiki. You can set up mediawiki to
> require registration before editing, and there are a few roles for
> administration vs. contributors.

Can you recommend any Wiki that has a more advanced permission system
(yet not necessarily as capable as a CMS's)?