Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > rubygems only runs as root

rubygems only runs as root

jzakiya@mail.com

Loaded the lastest rubygems (0.9.0) as root, like always,
but in my USER account I can't see it anymore. I have no
problem doing this on my laptop. The only difference is I'm
using ruby 1.8.5 in my USER account, while the root has 1.8.4.

I'm using PCLinuxOS 0.9.2 on my desktop and 0.9.3a on the laptop.

In both cases gem was placed in /usr/bin/gem and the PATH is set
to see this dir in both case. But when I run the gem command from my
desktop I get the following message:

$ /usr/bin/gem
/usr/bin/gem:10: unitialized constant Gem (NameError)

or

$ gem
bash: /usr/local/bin/gem: No such file or directory

Lyle Johnson

On 10/22/06, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Loaded the lastest rubygems (0.9.0) as root, like always,
> but in my USER account I can't see it anymore. I have no
> problem doing this on my laptop. The only difference is I'm
> using ruby 1.8.5 in my USER account, while the root has 1.8.4.

The 'gem' command is just a front-end to code in the RubyGems library,
so you probably need to install RubyGems under your user account copy
of Ruby (the 1.8.5 installation) as well.