Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Writing IMAP->GMail proxy... Where to go for IMAP RFC help?

Writing IMAP->GMail proxy... Where to go for IMAP RFC help?

Jon Fi

Hey everyone, this is only a partial ruby question... I discovered a
gmail library on RubyForge ... I was like, why hasn't anyone written an
IMAP proxy for GMail yet?

In just one day, I've implemented LOGIN, LOGOUT, NOOP(tehehe), and
LIST(partially). That being said, does anyone here actually understand
the IMAP commands well enough the could help out?

I'm reading the RFC and packet-sniffing the connection on my mail
client, but there's a few commands, FETCH, and UID that i'm having
trouble figuring out what the heck they do.

Can anyone point me to an IMAP command tutorial or lend me some help
explaining the syntax of a couple of commands? Writing a IMAP server is
pretty poopy.

Park Heesob

Hi,

>From: Jon Fi <(E-Mail Removed)>
>To: (E-Mail Removed) (ruby-talk ML)
>Subject: Writing IMAP->GMail proxy... Where to go for IMAP RFC help?
>Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 11:02:03 +0900
>
>Hey everyone, this is only a partial ruby question... I discovered a
>gmail library on RubyForge ... I was like, why hasn't anyone written an
>IMAP proxy for GMail yet?
>
>In just one day, I've implemented LOGIN, LOGOUT, NOOP(tehehe), and
>LIST(partially). That being said, does anyone here actually understand
>the IMAP commands well enough the could help out?
>
>I'm reading the RFC and packet-sniffing the connection on my mail
>client, but there's a few commands, FETCH, and UID that i'm having
>trouble figuring out what the heck they do.
>
>Can anyone point me to an IMAP command tutorial or lend me some help
>explaining the syntax of a couple of commands? Writing a IMAP server is
>pretty poopy.

If you know python, iGmail :: An IMAPv4 gateway to
Gmail(http://www.butterfat.net/igmail/) may help you.

Regards,

Park Heesob

http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/...ave/direct/01/

Gregory Seidman

On Sun, Oct 22, 2006 at 12:06:40AM +0900, Francis Cianfrocca wrote:
} On 10/20/06, Chris Carter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
} >
} >Hi
} >> I'm unaware that Gmail even supports access by IMAP clients. Do you know
} >for
} >> sure that it does?
} >It does not, He is writing a proxy for it to suppport it.
}
} It would have to be a gateway rather than a proxy. (Of course these terms
} aren't precisely defined.) You'd basically have to gate IMAP to POP and
} store all the additional state in an intermediate server. Is that the idea
} here?

Er, if that's the goal then I implemented it a couple of years ago. I use
fetchmail to retrieve messages to my machine at home, which runs
courier-imap to serve IMAP. No Ruby involved.

--Greg

Jon Fi

Francis Cianfrocca wrote:
> On 10/20/06, Chris Carter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>> > I'm unaware that Gmail even supports access by IMAP clients. Do you know

>> for
>> > sure that it does?

>> It does not, He is writing a proxy for it to suppport it.

> It would have to be a gateway rather than a proxy. (Of course these
> terms
> aren't precisely defined.) You'd basically have to gate IMAP to POP and
> store all the additional state in an intermediate server. Is that the
> idea
> here?

Nope, better. The idea is a IMAP interface to gmail. Call it a gateway
or a proxy, either way it's single threaded(right now) and runs for
localhost connections only. Your GMail password is your IMAP password.

Thank you for the suggestions, I do not understand python very well but
i'll take a look. Would any GMail users be interested in helping out
develop this if I threw it out on rubyforge? Not really worth the hassle
if no one is gonna use it... Eventually I want a status GUI and a bunch
of other stuff

Kashia Buch

> Nope, better. The idea is a IMAP interface to gmail. Call it a gateway
> or a proxy, either way it's single threaded(right now) and runs for
> localhost connections only. Your GMail password is your IMAP password.
>
> Thank you for the suggestions, I do not understand python very well but
> i'll take a look. Would any GMail users be interested in helping out
> develop this if I threw it out on rubyforge? Not really worth the hassle
> if no one is gonna use it... Eventually I want a status GUI and a bunch
> of other stuff

Hell, I'd use it!

Kash