Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Performance: Ruby/LDAP vs. ActiveLDAP vs. Net::LDAP

Performance: Ruby/LDAP vs. ActiveLDAP vs. Net::LDAP

augustf@gmail.com

Hi everyone,
Currently, in an application I'm working on I'm using Ruby/LDAP and
ActiveLDAP - and they both work relatively well. But recently I've run
into some performance snags. So my question is - is there a large
performance gap between Ruby/LDAP, ActiveLDAP, and Net::LDAP that would
justify standardizing on one over the others?

Austin Ziegler

On 10/11/06, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> Currently, in an application I'm working on I'm using Ruby/LDAP and
> ActiveLDAP - and they both work relatively well. But recently I've run
> into some performance snags. So my question is - is there a large
> performance gap between Ruby/LDAP, ActiveLDAP, and Net::LDAP that would
> justify standardizing on one over the others?

ActiveLDAP is a wrapper on top of Ruby/LDAP. There is supposed to be
work later toward making ActiveLDAP work with Net::LDAP, but I don't
think that's started yet. Net::LDAP is pure Ruby, which means its
significantly more portable. IMO, Net::LDAP has the better LDAP API
than Ruby/LDAP (which mirrors the C API faithfully).

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * (E-Mail Removed) * http://www.halostatue.ca/
* (E-Mail Removed) * http://www.halostatue.ca/feed/

Two ActiveLDAP questions J Ruby 0 02-03-2006 05:42 PM
Anyone using ActiveLDAP? Worked around the bug in 0.5.7? Sean Hussey Ruby 0 08-25-2005 07:56 PM
Help: activeLDAP installation Bil Kleb Ruby 3 03-15-2005 04:40 PM
[ANN] Ruby/ActiveLDAP 0.5.1 Will Drewry Ruby 0 10-22-2004 03:47 PM
[ANN] Ruby/ActiveLDAP 0.1.1 Will Drewry Ruby 1 08-25-2004 08:24 AM

Advertisments