Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > NET::HTTP behind a firewall?

NET::HTTP behind a firewall?

Amos King

This site has a one free year deal that I used. It works great and
after your ap is running if you need more space or bandwidth you can
always upgrade. Every time I've sent their support an e-mail I get a
response that day. They truly are a good hosting company.

http://www.hostingrails.com/home/112330218

--
Amos King
USPS

James Cribbs

I highly recommend Rails Playground. Joe Clarke has responded to every
email request I have sent in a timely, courteous manner. Once, on a
Sunday afternoon, I sent a request to install a gem. Within a couple of
hours, Joe responded saying it was it done. On a Sunday!

That's just one example of the outstanding customer service I have
received from Rails Playground.

Jamey Cribbs

Amos King wrote:
> This site has a one free year deal that I used. It works great and
> after your ap is running if you need more space or bandwidth you can
> always upgrade. Every time I've sent their support an e-mail I get a
> response that day. They truly are a good hosting company.
>

> http://www.hostingrails.com/home/112330218
>

> On 10/3/06, ruby grl <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> I was hosting with site5 but their support was terrible I finally had to
>> cancel service, they never responded to support questions. I finally
>> spent
>> some money a dedicated host running rails on suse linux with redplaid
>> hosting and it has been so much more reliable.
>>
>> On 3/12/06, "Michael Gorsuch" <michael.gorsuch gmail.com> wrote:
>> >I use site5 (http://www.site5.com). They're enthusiatic Ruby users so
>> >their support is quite good.
>> >
>> >On 3/11/06, Stephen Kellett <snail / objmedia.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> >Hi Folks,
>> >
>> >I have an idea for a website. I want to develop it using Ruby on Rails,
>> >so ultimately I'll need a website hosting company.
>> >
>> >I'm going to be putting together a different take on the various
>> >websites that host music for musical instrument players for learning

>> new
>> >tunes - this isn't a software idea and is nothing linked to my day job
>> >with Object Media/Software Verification. As a result hosting costs may
>> >be an issue if the host is expensive until the idea pays for itself.
>> >
>> >I've done a bit of web-searching on this subject, but really I'd like
>> >recommendations from those of you already doing this. You know which
>> >companies you've used and which you use again, which were expensive and
>> >good value, which were expensive and bad value, which were cheap and
>> >good value, etc.
>> >
>> >Please recommend some hosting companies.
>> >
>> >Thanks
>> >
>> >Stephen
>> >(reply to newgroup or by email, both are fine)
>> >--
>> >Stephen Kellett
>> >Object Media Limited http://www.objmedia.demon.co.uk/software.html
>> >Computer Consultancy, Software Development
>> >Windows C++, Java, Assembler, Performance Analysis, Troubleshooting

Joe Regular

Hi Francis,

Thanks, it turns out that my previous fix was only temporary which made
me realize that this actually is a problem with DNS since it was
probably caching the host lookups and that is why it works for a little
while.

I can not do a dig when the firewall is active(just hangs). However, my
external DNS servers appear to be ips on my private network and it looks
like there is a rule in my config to allow all traffic/protocals across
eth0(private nic) so I am not sure what is going on. I also have port 53
open to tcp/udp on both devices.

Thanks again for all your help.

Thanks,
Kris

Francis Cianfrocca wrote:
> On 10/4/06, Joe Regular <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> Not sure what is going on with this thread but hopefully this post makes
>> it to the correct location...
>>
>> I checked the logs and all it says is basically that NET::HTTP cannot
>> resolve the host, so there isn't enough information to figure out
>> exactly why the connection is failing. I will give the SYN flag a try
>> and also look into understanding iptables on my own without the KISS
>> script. Thanks again for your help.

> There you go, that's good information. You need to look at how the
> server is
> doing DNS. DNS works on port 53, usually by UDP (which rules out an
> interaction with TCP packet flags like SYN and ACK), but also
> occasionally
> by TCP. Additionally, you need to make sure that /etc/resolv.conf looks
> proper, and that you have routes (through eth1) and firewall rules (port
> 53
> outbound udp/tpc) to your DNS servers. Since you're using iptables,
> you're
> also probably using Linux. Make sure that dig is installed on the box,
> and
> then try to run dig against the hostnames of your external HTTP servers.
> That should give you a lot of useful information. Addtionally, go back
> and
> try Net::HTTP with raw IP addresses instead of hostnames. If that works,
> then you've confirmed it's a DNS problem.
>
> For what it's worth, I work with highly-secure perimeter-facing
> installations all the time- my company makes remote access appliances.
> DNS
> misconfiguration (especially when split-horizon is involved) is one of
> the
> biggest problems I see on a daily basis. Right up there with bad cabling
> ("Of course we checked the cables!"), dead switch ports ("No, we didn't
> change anything else in the DC"), and missing routes to LDAP servers
> ("but I
> can ping that server from everywhere else!").

Joe Regular

I beleive this rule should enable me to reach the DNS servers from eth0
since PRIV_IFACE is set to eth0. Do you see anything wrong with it?

################################################## ############################
#
# To define your private network, use the PRIV_IFACE configuration
# variable above.
#
# We allow all traffic in and out of the private network
if [ ! "$PRIV_IFACE" == ""]; then
$IPTABLES -A INPUT -s 0/0 -e $PRIV_IFACE -d $PRIVATE_IP -p ALL -j
ACCEPT
fi

Francis Cianfrocca wrote:

> I think I remember seeing a rule that inhibited outbound connections of
> any
> kind except from the public interface (eth1). If your DNS servers are on
> different network, then you won't be able to reach them. If dig just
> hangs,
> then you know it's a connectivity problem. Do you have any DNS servers
> you
> can access (like from your ISP) from your public interface?

Joe Regular

In the output of kiss when it starts I noticed there appears to be an
error.

"/usr/sbin/kiss: line 341: [: eth0: unary operator expected"

Line 341:
> if [ ! "$PRIV_IFACE" == ""]; then
> $IPTABLES -A INPUT -s 0/0 -e $PRIV_IFACE -d $PRIVATE_IP -p ALL -j
> ACCEPT
> fi

I will have to brush up on my shell scripting sytax to see what is wrong
with comparison but hopefully that does the trick!

Thanks