Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Boost.Python equivalent for Ruby?

Boost.Python equivalent for Ruby?

Pavel Vozenilek

Does something like Boost.Python exist for Ruby?

Couple of similar, now aborted projects, were mentioned
on this newsgroup but perhaps I miss something new.

(I know about C extensions and SWIG.)

/Pavel

pat eyler

On 10/3/06, Pavel Vozenilek <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Does something like Boost.Python exist for Ruby?

When asking questions like this, it's probably worthwhile giving a
two or three sentence overview of what Boost.Python is/does.
Less useful would be a URL. I'm already busy enough not to
go looking for extra information to try to figure out someones
question unless it really scratches an itch or fires my
imagination.

--
thanks,
-pate

Phil Tomson

On 10/3/06, Pavel Vozenilek <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Does something like Boost.Python exist for Ruby?
>
> Couple of similar, now aborted projects, were mentioned
> on this newsgroup but perhaps I miss something new.
>
> (I know about C extensions and SWIG.)

At the moment SWIG is probably as close as it gets to boost.python.
It seems to me that there's a lot of overlap between SWIG and
boost.python, but it seems the latter (I haven't used boost.python,
but I have used SWIG) is more python-centric.

Another approach would be to use Rubyinline:
http://rubyforge.org/projects/rubyinline/

What are you trying to accomplish?

Phil

Pavel Vozenilek

"Phil Tomson" wrote:

>> Does something like Boost.Python exist for Ruby?
>>

> Another approach would be to use Rubyinline:
> http://rubyforge.org/projects/rubyinline/

Thanks, I'll play with it.

> What are you trying to accomplish?

What I am looking for is the ability to
subclass C++ classes in a scripting
to allow quick experimenting
and with simple way to conver them to C++.

/Pavel