Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Sun Takes on

Sun Takes on

zoat

Sun Microsystems announced last week that Charles Nutter and Thomas
Enebo, the chief maintainers of JRuby, are joining the company as
full-time employees. Nutter and Enebo are set to spend all their time
working on the open-source JRuby project, with a particular focus on
developer tools. Specifically, they are charged with bringing JRuby to
1.0 status.
http://www.adtmag.com/article.aspx?id=19265

Zed A. Shaw

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 17:10:11 +0900
"zoat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Sun Microsystems announced last week that Charles Nutter and Thomas
> Enebo, the chief maintainers of JRuby, are joining the company as
> full-time employees. Nutter and Enebo are set to spend all their time
> working on the open-source JRuby project, with a particular focus on
> developer tools. Specifically, they are charged with bringing JRuby to
> 1.0 status.
> http://www.adtmag.com/article.aspx?id=19265

Don't you mean 1.0 Enterprise Edition 2.3 Excelsior status? I think you're missing a few project code names too.

http://www.zedshaw.com/
http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/

Giles Bowkett

I've read Charles' posts many times. The JRuby project is pretty cool.
Wish I had the chops to put something like that together. Congrats.

--
Giles Bowkett
http://www.gilesgoatboy.org

Zed A. Shaw

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 18:27:42 +0900
"Giles Bowkett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I've read Charles' posts many times. The JRuby project is pretty cool.
> Wish I had the chops to put something like that together. Congrats.

Oh yeah, for sureness JRuby is very cool. If you actually are interested in learning how to do this then check out:

http://www.amazon.com/Building-Parse...347842-4438503

and

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-La...438503?ie=UTF8

Both are very soft introductions to making full parsers and languages to run on the JVM.

But c'mon, you just *know* Sun is gonna slap a few extra version numbers on that thing and push it to the Enterprise crowd. They can't resist. It's in their nature and for whatever reason sells things like meth hotcakes for them.

http://www.zedshaw.com/
http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/

Ola Bini

Zed A. Shaw wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 18:27:42 +0900
> "Giles Bowkett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I've read Charles' posts many times. The JRuby project is pretty cool.
>> Wish I had the chops to put something like that together. Congrats.
>>

> Oh yeah, for sureness JRuby is very cool. If you actually are interested in learning how to do this then check out:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Building-Parse...347842-4438503
>
> and
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Programming-La...438503?ie=UTF8
>
> Both are very soft introductions to making full parsers and languages to run on the JVM.

I don't agree about those books, actually. I didn't like them and I
don't think you'll learn that much from them. My recommendation is the
Dragon book. (Compilers - Principles, Techniques and Tools)

> But c'mon, you just *know* Sun is gonna slap a few extra version numbers on that thing and push it to the Enterprise crowd. They can't resist. It's in their nature and for whatever reason sells things like meth hotcakes for them.

Incidentally, you may be right if it was JRuby and not just the two core
developers that were hired. As of now, Sun has declared that the JRuby
project will continue unhindered, and the JRuby community will continue
to have their say. (I would definitely not like extra version numbers
like this, for example...)

--
Ola Bini (http://ola-bini.blogspot.com)
JvYAML, RbYAML, JRuby and Jatha contributor

Zed A. Shaw

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 19:20:23 +0900
Ola Bini <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Zed A. Shaw wrote:
> > But c'mon, you just *know* Sun is gonna slap a few extra version numbers on that thing and push it to the Enterprise crowd. They can't resist. It's in their nature and for whatever reason sells things like meth hotcakes for them.
> >

> Incidentally, you may be right if it was JRuby and not just the two core
> developers that were hired. As of now, Sun has declared that the JRuby
> project will continue unhindered, and the JRuby community will continue
> to have their say. (I would definitely not like extra version numbers
> like this, for example...)

Oh well, either I'm losing my touch at being funny or it's against corporate policy.

http://www.zedshaw.com/
http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/

Eleanor McHugh

On 25 Sep 2006, at 11:20, Ola Bini wrote:
> Zed A. Shaw wrote:
>> On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 18:27:42 +0900
>> "Giles Bowkett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> I've read Charles' posts many times. The JRuby project is pretty
>>> cool.
>>> Wish I had the chops to put something like that together. Congrats.
>>>

>> Oh yeah, for sureness JRuby is very cool. If you actually are
>> interested in learning how to do this then check out:
>> http://www.amazon.com/Building-Parse...en-Metsker/dp/
>> 0201719622/sr=8-17/qid=1159177289/ref=sr_1_17/102-2347842-4438503
>> and
>> http://www.amazon.com/Programming-La...ocessors-Java-
>> Interpreters/dp/0130257869/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b/
>> 102-2347842-4438503?ie=UTF8
>> Both are very soft introductions to making full parsers and
>> languages to run on the JVM.

> I don't agree about those books, actually. I didn't like them and I
> don't think you'll learn that much from them. My recommendation is
> the Dragon book. (Compilers - Principles, Techniques and Tools)

Another very good book on interpreters is http://www.amazon.com/
Programming-Languages-Interpreter-based-Samuel-Kamin/dp/0201068249/
ref=sr_11_1/026-5047787-0958832?ie=UTF8 although the examples are all
written in pascal...

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
----

Tom Copeland

On Mon, 2006-09-25 at 19:20 +0900, Ola Bini wrote:
> My recommendation is the
> Dragon book. (Compilers - Principles, Techniques and Tools)

And the 2nd edition is out, w00t!!

http://www.amazon.com/Compilers-Prin...e=UTF8&s=books

Of course, it's $100... but still...

Tom

Ryan Davis

On Sep 25, 2006, at 4:33 AM, Eleanor McHugh wrote:

> Another very good book on interpreters is http://www.amazon.com/
> Programming-Languages-Interpreter-based-Samuel-Kamin/dp/0201068249/
> ref=sr_11_1/026-5047787-0958832?ie=UTF8 although the examples are
> all written in pascal...

Seconded. Kamin's is a very good book.

I'm also a huge fan of Wirth's Compiler Construction book. 130 pages
of condensed brilliance and lucidity... Screw all those others! This
one is free:

http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/WirthPubl/CBEAll.pdf