Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Ruby IPC: messaging, blackboard, etc.?

Ruby IPC: messaging, blackboard, etc.?

Dmitri Kondratiev

I am looking for Ruby crossplatform local and network IPC: messaging,
blackboard, etc. It would be great to find a survey of existing projects
in this area.
Things I am most interested in:
1) Distributed blackboard or any other publish/subscribe mechanism that
scales well with new nodes comming into play
2) Messaging system that will allow address messages to

Thanks!
Dima

Logan Capaldo

On Sun, Sep 24, 2006 at 07:03:53PM +0900, Dmitri Kondratiev wrote:
> I am looking for Ruby crossplatform local and network IPC: messaging,
> blackboard, etc. It would be great to find a survey of existing projects
> in this area.
> Things I am most interested in:
> 1) Distributed blackboard or any other publish/subscribe mechanism that
> scales well with new nodes comming into play
> 2) Messaging system that will allow address messages to
> (E-Mail Removed)
>
> Thanks!
> Dima

I think your first step would be to look into drb (distributed ruby)
which comes with ruby.

James Edward Gray II

#1 is a request for Rinda's Tuplespace built on DRb and also comes
with Ruby. The Ruby Cookbook shows example usage for this.

I didn't understand #2.

James Edward Gray II

Dmitri Kondratiev

Francis Cianfrocca wrote:
> On 9/24/06, Dmitri Kondratiev <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> I am looking for Ruby crossplatform local and network IPC: messaging,
>> blackboard, etc. It would be great to find a survey of existing projects
>> in this area.
>> Things I am most interested in:
>> 1) Distributed blackboard or any other publish/subscribe mechanism that
>> scales well with new nodes comming into play
>> 2) Messaging system that will allow address messages to
>> (E-Mail Removed)

> I don't quite understand #2 but you can look at reliable-msg, which is a
> very fine piece of work by Assaf Arkin. In addition, I've been working
> on a
> full-featured message-queueing system that should be ready for an early
> look
> quite soon.

By 2) I mean a messaging framework where addressable unit is a thread.
In other words, in such a system a following scenario would be possible:

Thread_X @ Process_A @ Host_N <--- snd/rcv messages ---> Thread_Y @
Process_B @ Host_M
(Framework may provide peer registration and naming mechanisms (for all
parts of such address). For example, process name or PID used in native
OS and network host name (IP addr) may be quite naturally used. As for
threads, there may be an agreement on how their names are built (such as
natural numbers, logical names, etc.))

Dima