Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > RAD ( Rapid Application Development)

RAD ( Rapid Application Development)

Luiz Macchi

Hi all ! is there a tool like a Glade, Delphi, Qt3 Design to work with
Ruby ?
thanks !

Mark A. Richman

Try Eclipse.

However, are you looking for a GUI designer as well?

- Mark

Luiz Macchi wrote:
> Hi all ! is there a tool like a Glade, Delphi, Qt3 Design to work with
> Ruby ?
> thanks !

Luiz Macchi

Mark A. Richman wrote:
> Try Eclipse.
>
> However, are you looking for a GUI designer as well?
>
> - Mark

Yeah, GUI designer ! I will try Eclipse !
thanks a lot

Alex Young

Luiz Macchi wrote:
> Mark A. Richman wrote:
>> Try Eclipse.
>>
>> However, are you looking for a GUI designer as well?
>>
>> - Mark

> Yeah, GUI designer ! I will try Eclipse !
> thanks a lot

I believe rubygtk can use Glade's output directly, but it's still on my
list of things to try out so I can't show you code, unfortunately...
Something to look into, anyway.

--
Alex

Alexandru E. Ungur

>>> sender: "Luiz Macchi" date: "Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 08:15:02PM +0900" <<<EOQ
> Mark A. Richman wrote:
> > Try Eclipse.
> >
> > However, are you looking for a GUI designer as well?
> >
> > - Mark

> Yeah, GUI designer ! I will try Eclipse !
> thanks a lot

You can try Komodo then. Has a very nice GUI designer for Tk fully
integrated with Ruby. It looks just like Delphi, and just like Delphi
it costs money too But it's still very nice.

Cheers,
Alex

Logan Capaldo

On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 08:04:29PM +0900, Luiz Macchi wrote:
> Hi all ! is there a tool like a Glade, Delphi, Qt3 Design to work with
> Ruby ?
> thanks !

Yes, for example, Glade (Gotta love XML UI descriptions)

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Luiz Macchi wrote:
> Hi all ! is there a tool like a Glade, Delphi, Qt3 Design to work with
> Ruby ?
> thanks !

On Linux, try KDevelop, Korundum, Kommander and QTRuby. All of them can
do what QT Designer can do. You'll pretty much be installing all of the
KDE desktop to get that, so you get a desktop for free.

I don't know about Macs if you need portability. Windows will be there
when most of this magic works with QT4, but till then, if you need
Windows, you'll need to pick some other tool chain.

Lorenzo

I second the use of Komodo. I've tried other Tk GUI designers and
Komodo has worked best for me in a number of projects. It isn't perfect
but it's the best I've seen.

Lorenzo

Alexandru E. Ungur wrote:

> > Mark A. Richman wrote:
> > > Try Eclipse.
> > >
> > > However, are you looking for a GUI designer as well?
> > >
> > > - Mark

> > Yeah, GUI designer ! I will try Eclipse !
> > thanks a lot

> You can try Komodo then. Has a very nice GUI designer for Tk fully
> integrated with Ruby. It looks just like Delphi, and just like Delphi
> it costs money too But it's still very nice.
>
> Cheers,
> Alex

MonkeeSage

There's also wxGlade (and some other WxWidgets based designer which I
forget offhand).

OT: I heard that Tk was supposed to be using native widgets like
WxWidgets since like version 8 or something. Well, % info patchlevel
shows I'm using Tcl/Tk 8.4.13; but the widgets still look like regular
old Tk widgets. What am I doing wrong here?

Regards,
Jordan

David Vallner