Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > London Startup Looking for Ruby on Rails Developer

London Startup Looking for Ruby on Rails Developer

Henners Henners

Hello,

We are looking for a UK based ruby on rails developer, (preferably
London based) to help us push our web app into the future.*

Please to get in touch asap on http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Thanks in advance.

Kevin Jackson

Ok, I'm interested, but I'm not based in London - does that discount me?

Kev
-- (E-Mail Removed)

Daniel Berger

Henners Henners wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are looking for a UK based ruby on rails developer, (preferably
> London based) to help us push our web app into the future.
>
> Please to get in touch asap on (E-Mail Removed)
>
> Thanks in advance.

Be sure to post this to jobs.rubynow.com (with a fuller description) as
well.

Regards,

Dan

Stephen Kellett

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Henners
Henners <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>We are looking for a UK based ruby on rails developer, (preferably
>London based) to help us push our web app into the future.*

Good luck. But why are you creating a startup in the second most
expensive city (to live, Tokyo being first) in the world? Surely you
want to keep costs down?

Stephen
--
Stephen Kellett
Object Media Limited http://www.objmedia.demon.co.uk/software.html

Reprisal

When you find yourself sitting around with some smart people and a
good idea, you try to get moving on it as expediently as possible.
Generally that means, where ever most of you happen to live at the
time. Moving is costly and time consuming. Being in very large
cities has a lot of other advantages as well, even to start ups.

> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Henners Henners <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>> We are looking for a UK based ruby on rails developer, (preferably
>> London based) to help us push our web app into the future.

> Good luck. But why are you creating a startup in the second most
> expensive city (to live, Tokyo being first) in the world? Surely
> you want to keep costs down?
>
> Stephen
> --
> Stephen Kellett
> Object Media Limited http://www.objmedia.demon.co.uk/software.html
> Computer Consultancy, Software Development
> Windows C++, Java, Assembler, Performance Analysis, Troubleshooting

Stephen Kellett

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Reprisal
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>When you find yourself sitting around with some smart people and a good
>idea, you try to get moving on it as expediently as possible. Generally
>that means, where ever most of you happen to live at the time. Moving
>is costly and time consuming.

If you are young (as I expect you are) you won't have the shackles that
hold you in London. If you are older and own property, selling up and
moving will raise a huge amount of capital in the current UK market,
even after purchasing elsewhere. Capital that you could invest in the
startup.

I moved from Alexandria (Loch Lomond, north of Glasgow) to Cambridge in
1988. I was penniless having not been paid for months and then the
company went tits up. And yet I could afford it. Moving doesn't cost
that much (it didn't then and it doesn't now and I had my stuff in
storage for over a year - it cost so little I can't even remember it -
if it had been expensive that'd be lodged in my brain forever) in
relative terms. It doesn't take that much time (not when you factor the
cost against where you are living).

Cash burn is your major issue - compared to this, moving costs are
trivial. Cash burn in London is worse than just about anywhere you can
choose in the UK, from premises rent to wages to live, etc.

>Being in very large cities has a lot of other advantages as well, even

to >start ups.

There are plenty of large cities in the UK. None of which of have the
costs associated with London. Or the -ves of living in London (but I
guess you see those as +ves). If I was in the market for choosing a city
(I'm not, I hate them) I'd choose Manchester or Leeds or Glasgow.

Anyway, as I said, good luck with your startup. I hope for your sake it
has a higher barrier to entry than punchbowl.com. Do you have a website
so we can see if you have a decent idea? (No I don't want to copy it,
I'm way too busy already).

Stephen