Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > RE: VS Designer inadvertently changes control declarations in code-beh

RE: VS Designer inadvertently changes control declarations in code-beh

=?Utf-8?B?WXVyaSBWYW56aW5l?=

07-22-2004
In addition I would like to mention that the System.UI.Web.UserControl class has FindControl(string ControlID) Method which returns a Child Control as publicly accessible, except you have to cast it to use it and it is ugly. Compare:

this.pnlTypes.Visible = false;

vs.

((Panel)FindControl("pnlTypes")).Visible = false;

Sometimes I prefer the 2nd method, other times the 1st, but the bottom line is I should have freedom of choice.

"Yuri Vanzine" wrote:

> I think what I am about to describe is a VS.NET 2003 bug. In my project I am deliberately breaking the debatable Demeter principle http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?LawOfDemeter in effort to provide a degree of flexibility in control access from page level.
>
> My Project class hierarchy includes several user controls (.ascx), inherited from a certain BaseUserControl, which are reused throughout different pages(aspx).
>
> I need individual web control access on an ascx from aspx pages, therefore I declare them public in ascx.cs like this:
>
> public Panel pnlType;
> public Panel pnlStatuses;
> public Panel pnlMeters;
> public Panel pnlInstrumentDates;
> ...
>
> I can later on access these panels from aspx.cs code-behinds like this:
>
> this.pnlTypes.Visible = false;
>
> Therefore I need them public through a conscious choice of mine. However, I am facing the following problem:
>
> When I open my ascx control in VS Designer, it changes the control declarations from public to protected in ascx.cs code-behind, thus forcing me into Law of Demeter.
>
> I can submit to LoD and the stubborn will of VS.NET Designer and instead set up a public accessor for all my protected members, but I still would like to find a way to make public declarations work w/o VS Designer breaking them.
>
> I end up undoing the changes that VS Designer forces upon me every time it changes my control code-behind, but my ultimate question is why should VS.NET IDE change my code at all?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Yuri Vanzine