Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Can't get irb to read its configuration file

Can't get irb to read its configuration file

Pierre Barbier de Reuille

Hello,

I was trying to use Wirble, and following the mail, I edited my ~/.irbrc

However, it seems that the content of that file is just not read ... I
tried to debug the irb scripts and I found out that this file was
correctly found, however, the content do not seems to be evaluated at all

Also, I tried to evaluate that .irbrc file directly from irb and it does
work ...

For information I am using :

$ irb --version
irb 0.9.5(05/04/13)
$ ruby --version
ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [i486-linux]

Thanks,

Pierre

Robert Klemme

Pierre Barbier de Reuille wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was trying to use Wirble, and following the mail, I edited my ~/.irbrc
>
> However, it seems that the content of that file is just not read ... I
> tried to debug the irb scripts and I found out that this file was
> correctly found, however, the content do not seems to be evaluated at all
>
> Also, I tried to evaluate that .irbrc file directly from irb and it does
> work ...
>
> For information I am using :
>
> $ irb --version
> irb 0.9.5(05/04/13)
> $ ruby --version
> ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [i486-linux]

Did you just put something in there like "puts 'hello'"? Did it print?

Regards

robert

Pierre Barbier de Reuille

Simon Mitchell wrote:
> Are you using ver 0.1.2 http://pablotron.org/files/gems/wirble-0.1.2.gem
> http://pablotron.org/files/gems/wirble-0.1.2.gem.asc
>
> I did not get any with 0.1.1 and it did not work until i installed 0.1.2
>
> You could run irb in debug mode to hopefully see any errors in .irbrc
>
> irb -d
>
> Simon

Thanks, for some reason, installing the 0.1.2 corrected the problem. And
indeed, using "irb -d" (which I didn't know about) shown an error while
irbrc file without problem :/

But well, now it is working, thanks

Pierre