Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > [ANN] sandbox 0.2

[ANN] sandbox 0.2

why the lucky stiff

The 0.2 release of the FreakyFreakySandbox is here. I almost had to add a third
Freaky because of some thread-related haps, but they've all been sufficient
scared and squared. Everything is now calm, like grapes on a gold platter.

gem install sandbox --source code.whytheluckystiff.net

Or there's a dist (with setup.rb inside):

http://code.whytheluckystiff.net/dist/sandbox-0.2.tgz

You will need to patch your Ruby 1.8.5 to do this. Instructions:
<http://code.whytheluckystiff.net/sandbox/wiki/InstallingTheSandbox>

The sandbox extension lets you create new Ruby environments, either restricted
or featureful. Need a safe little housing for dangerous code, with an
explode-proof shield on it? Aha, get over here. Or, need to load a conflicting
library into a safe, clean Ruby? See, look at all these reasons.

box = Sandbox.safe(:timeout => 10)
answer = box.eval(unsafe_code)

Looksee, in this release: a timer. If you can best it, I will give you a
free, no-strings-attached photograph of young Hayley Mills.

The sandbox is often prefixed FreakyFreaky, as a warning to all that this is an
extreme hack, very experimental -- practically implausible. However, it turns
out that Ruby threading kind of does this trick anyway, so it's not really that
bad. Anyway, I like the prefix and I call the shots on this one, guys.

For more instructions, steps and things, the wiki and bug tracker is:
<http://code.whytheluckystiff.net/sandbox/>

_why

(Sandbox?) Ensuring restricted access to plugins... Thomas G. Marshall Java 6 10-20-2005 04:29 AM
sandbox is the same as development machine? jrefactors@hotmail.com Java 4 09-27-2005 09:18 PM
Google's Sandbox Vin HTML 1 02-13-2005 05:04 PM
Application in sandbox Tim Tyler Java 24 12-04-2004 03:40 AM
What is a sandbox? Ahmed Moustafa Java 1 08-23-2003 04:53 AM

Advertisments