Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Crashing RubyConf

Crashing RubyConf

Gavin Kistner

I was not properly paying attention, and now find that the RubyConf site
says that registration is over and the conference is full. Woe to me,
who lives 30 minutes away.

What aspect of the conference is sold out? Is it rooms at the hotel, or
is there a fire-code capacity to the room(s) the conference is being
held in?

Specifically, I'm asking if it might be OK for those of us who live
nearby to drive in, attend sessions, and drive out? Possibly slipping
some cash in the amount of normal registration costs to someone in
charge.

I assume the answer is no, but I had to ask.

James Britt

Gavin Kistner wrote:
> I was not properly paying attention, and now find that the RubyConf site
> says that registration is over and the conference is full. Woe to me,
> who lives 30 minutes away.
>
> What aspect of the conference is sold out? Is it rooms at the hotel, or
> is there a fire-code capacity to the room(s) the conference is being
> held in?
>
> Specifically, I'm asking if it might be OK for those of us who live
> nearby to drive in, attend sessions, and drive out? Possibly slipping
> some cash in the amount of normal registration costs to someone in
> charge.
>
> I assume the answer is no, but I had to ask.

I'd be surprised if cash-in-hand works as a ticket to the conference,
but I don't want to discourage anyone from tossing larges sums of cash a
David and Chad and Rich.

I think the lobby is a public space until you misbehave enough to get
tossed out. Same for the bar. So you can catch the hallway track.

--
James Britt

"I can see them saying something like 'OMG Three Wizards Awesome'"
- billinboston, on reddit.com

Joe Van Dyk

On 9/7/06, James Britt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Gavin Kistner wrote:
> > I was not properly paying attention, and now find that the RubyConf site
> > says that registration is over and the conference is full. Woe to me,
> > who lives 30 minutes away.
> >
> > What aspect of the conference is sold out? Is it rooms at the hotel, or
> > is there a fire-code capacity to the room(s) the conference is being
> > held in?
> >
> > Specifically, I'm asking if it might be OK for those of us who live
> > nearby to drive in, attend sessions, and drive out? Possibly slipping
> > some cash in the amount of normal registration costs to someone in
> > charge.
> >
> > I assume the answer is no, but I had to ask.

> I'd be surprised if cash-in-hand works as a ticket to the conference,
> but I don't want to discourage anyone from tossing larges sums of cash a
> David and Chad and Rich.
>
> I think the lobby is a public space until you misbehave enough to get
> tossed out. Same for the bar. So you can catch the hallway track.

Hm, what's considered misbehaving? Nudity? Drunkeness? Throwing bacon?

ara.t.howard@noaa.gov

On Fri, 8 Sep 2006, Joe Van Dyk wrote:

> On 9/7/06, James Britt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Gavin Kistner wrote:
>> > I was not properly paying attention, and now find that the RubyConf site
>> > says that registration is over and the conference is full. Woe to me,
>> > who lives 30 minutes away.
>> >
>> > What aspect of the conference is sold out? Is it rooms at the hotel, or
>> > is there a fire-code capacity to the room(s) the conference is being
>> > held in?
>> >
>> > Specifically, I'm asking if it might be OK for those of us who live
>> > nearby to drive in, attend sessions, and drive out? Possibly slipping
>> > some cash in the amount of normal registration costs to someone in
>> > charge.
>> >
>> > I assume the answer is no, but I had to ask.

>> I'd be surprised if cash-in-hand works as a ticket to the conference,
>> but I don't want to discourage anyone from tossing larges sums of cash a
>> David and Chad and Rich.
>>
>> I think the lobby is a public space until you misbehave enough to get
>> tossed out. Same for the bar. So you can catch the hallway track.

> Hm, what's considered misbehaving? Nudity? Drunkeness? Throwing bacon?

naw. those are all ok. you just can throw bacon __while__ you're naked.
unless you happend to be drunk too, then it's ok.

-a
--
what science finds to be nonexistent, we must accept as nonexistent; but what
science merely does not find is a completely different matter... it is quite

Aaron Patterson

On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 05:24:29AM +0900, Joe Van Dyk wrote:
[snip]

> Hm, what's considered misbehaving? Nudity? Drunkeness? Throwing bacon?

Throwing bacon is fine. As long as it isn't in cake form. Bacon cake
(known as "cakeon" on the east coast) should be eaten and not thrown.

--Aaron

James Britt

Joe Van Dyk wrote:

> Hm, what's considered misbehaving? Nudity? Drunkeness? Throwing bacon?

I would start with all of that, and somehow work in multiple incendiary
devices and a series of sudden loud noises.

--
James Britt

dblack@wobblini.net

Hi --

On Fri, 8 Sep 2006, Gavin Kistner wrote:

> I was not properly paying attention, and now find that the RubyConf site
> says that registration is over and the conference is full. Woe to me,
> who lives 30 minutes away.
>
> What aspect of the conference is sold out? Is it rooms at the hotel, or
> is there a fire-code capacity to the room(s) the conference is being
> held in?
>
> Specifically, I'm asking if it might be OK for those of us who live
> nearby to drive in, attend sessions, and drive out? Possibly slipping
> some cash in the amount of normal registration costs to someone in
> charge.
>
> I assume the answer is no, but I had to ask.

I'm afraid the answer is indeed no. There's no registration at the
door; it's really and truly sold out. Sold out means we're at
capacity, based on the facilities and our judgment as to what would
make for a successful and reasonably comfortable event.

I know the above is adequate for you, Gavin, and that you'll respect
it; but since the topic has come up, let me append a plea to everyone:
If you're not registered, PLEASE do not show up at RubyConf and try to
get in, with or without offering us money. For better or worse, we
have made decisions about capacity and how we want to organize the
event. That's how these events work: someone has to decide stuff, and
the event has to proceed according to a plan. It can't be negotiated
and second-guessed forever.

Public areas of the hotel are, of course, hangable out in. I'm sure
there will be lots of dining out opportunities, too; not everyone has
signed up for the conference meals.

David

--
David A. Black | http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

James Edward Gray II

On Sep 7, 2006, at 6:20 PM, Jim Weirich wrote:

> David wrote:
>> Public areas of the hotel are, of course, hangable out in. I'm sure
>> there will be lots of dining out opportunities, too; not everyone has
>> signed up for the conference meals.

> Indeed, the Thursday night before the conference always has a bunch of
> early birds showing up and going out to eat together. If someone
> local
> to Denver wants to make a suggestion for a destination, I'm sure it
> would be great to meet up with some local, non-conference Rubyists.

There's a good Indian restaurant pretty close to there, though the
name escapes me at the moment. There's also a great mexican joint
that makes the guacamole at your table to taste. Darn it, that name
has left me too. (Don't be too hard on my fuzzy memory; it's been
ten years since I lived there.) OK locals, help me with the names...

James Edward Gray II

John W. Long

Paul Lutus wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> / ...
>
>> Public areas of the hotel are, of course, hangable out in.

> Oh, please, stop, stop. This is a wonderful sentence. I guess this sort of
> prose can become natural over time, depending of course on the people ...
> around with whom you hang.

class Hallway
include Hangoutable
end

--
John Long
http://wiseheartdesign.com

Gregory Brown

I must be learning from dblack. Yesterday I uttered the phrase:

> Also, has anyone thought on what days for games?

to our university's frisbee club.