Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > 'gem install' vs. 'ruby install.rb'. A few questions.

'gem install' vs. 'ruby install.rb'. A few questions.

Géraud Contisouzas

Hello list,

First, a little disclaimer : I don't know jack on ruby, gem, rails or
anything. I hit this problem after a week-end trying to install Typo
on FreeBSD. Did my homework with grandma' Google on my side, even went
to IRC to burn some karma, and well, as they say in another corner of
the programming language map, "Warnock Applies".

To make a long story short : you can install (as in extract the gem
and put the files in due place) Typo on FreeBSD but it won't run.
There's a missing dependency --namely the new rails-app-installer
gem-- which I tried to make a port for (for people in the GNU/Linux
land, think 'debian package'). Here is where I hit a wall :
rails-app-installer needs sqlite3. There's already a port for
sqlite3-ruby in FreeBSD, that uses the 'ruby install.rb' way. On the
filesystem, the files are stored in
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/sqlite3/...

Now, trying to `gem install` the rails-app-installer it complains that
sqlite3-ruby is missing. Indeed all the gems are installed in
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ and I assume that it's trying to
check the deps within this directory. Now, please keep in mind that my
goal is to fix the state of Typo in FreeBSD in general. I'm not
interested in installing Typo just for myself, I have a greater goal
than that

So, here are my questions :

- Is it possible to tell gem to cross the border and have a look in
../site_ruby/ for deps checking?

- If no, well, what could be the risks of having a 'ruby install.rb'
and a 'gem install' version of the same package at the same time?
Would there be some kind of conflict that would make everything
explode?

- If conflicts occur, is there any functional or performance-related
difference between the two versions? Which one should be TheOne in
your opinion?

I hope I made myself clear, I had issues on IRC to make people grok
where I was heading. Anyway, thanks in advance for your wisdom.

Best regards,

Geraud

Victor Grey

The sqlite3-ruby gem is working for me now on FreeBSD, but in case it
helps someone: the gem has a dependency on swig, but it installs without
it -- it just doesn't work. Even worse, it seems to work for some
operations, but fails for others.

This maneuver fixed my problem:

gem uninstall sqlite3-ruby
cd /usr/ports/devel/swig13