Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > GUI for Windows?

GUI for Windows?

Snakon Bacon

Hi

I'm new to Ruby and after I read a bit about the sweetness of the
language I'd like to learn it.
But... I always work in Windows, and fine I'd like to program for web
aplications as a hobby, but I'd also like to be able to have a use for
it in my daily work in Windows where I can program snippets, for fun, to
help me and my coworkes.

Is it possible to pack a Ruby program so that the user don't need to
have Ruby installed to use it and is there any good GUI for Windows
which is nice to work with, even for a beginner as me?

I know it is probably better for me to learn some of the .Net languages
but I'd like to give Ruby a chance.

I have also searched the forum but the threads I've found was a bit old.

Thanks
Snakon

James Cribbs

Snakon Bacon wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm new to Ruby and after I read a bit about the sweetness of the
> language I'd like to learn it.
> But... I always work in Windows, and fine I'd like to program for web
> aplications as a hobby, but I'd also like to be able to have a use for
> it in my daily work in Windows where I can program snippets, for fun, to
> help me and my coworkes.
>
> Is it possible to pack a Ruby program so that the user don't need to
> have Ruby installed to use it and is there any good GUI for Windows
> which is nice to work with, even for a beginner as me?
>

> I know it is probably better for me to learn some of the .Net languages
> but I'd like to give Ruby a chance.
>

> I have also searched the forum but the threads I've found was a bit old.

Gui Libraries: FXRuby or RubyGtk2 both work great in Windows.

RubyScript2Exe turns your app into a single exe that can be deployed to
user's desktops. Works great.

Jamey