Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Ultimate programmer's reference - Quickref.org launches

Ultimate programmer's reference - Quickref.org launches

robby.walker@gmail.com

QuickRef.org : AJAX-powered site searches for documentation on Ruby,
CSS, HTML, HTML DOM, Java, JavaScript, MySQL, PHP, Perl, and more
languages added all the time. Minimize docs and they show up next time
you visit the site. Instantly access Google search for documents not in
the QuickRef system. Never open 15 tabs or windows again!

If you like it, please digg it:
http://www.digg.com/programming/Ulti...f_org_launches

William Crawford

unknown wrote:
> QuickRef.org : AJAX-powered site searches for documentation on Ruby,

That site has some issues.

For example: Search for anything, like 'calendar'. Then click a link.
Minimize that window. Try to hit return after calendar to bring the
results back up. It doesn't. You have to type something else and
remove it, then hit return again.

Also, you talk about multiple windows being open... How? Every time I
click a new link, it replaces the previous window.

James Britt

> If you like it, please digg it:

Please, spare me Digg, and spare me having to click through another
site to get to something.

Apparently the site requires JavaScript just to be able to submit a
form. How Web 2.0!

I searched on Ruby Array, and got a nice (faux) dropdown list of Array
methods. Each linked to a Ruby 1.6 reference site.

I love the future.

--
James Britt

"Hackers will be expelled"
- The Breakfast Club (1985)

Antonio Cangiano

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> QuickRef.org : AJAX-powered site searches for documentation on Ruby [...]

Hi Robby,

the documentation for Ruby 1.6 won't be very useful nowdays.

Regards,
Antonio
--
http://antoniocangiano.com
Zen and the Art of Ruby Programming

Eric Hodel

On Sep 5, 2006, at 7:40 AM, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> QuickRef.org : AJAX-powered site searches for documentation on
> Ruby, CSS, HTML, HTML DOM, Java, JavaScript, MySQL, PHP, Perl, and
> more languages added all the time. Minimize docs and they show up
> next time you visit the site. Instantly access Google search for
> documents not in the QuickRef system. Never open 15 tabs or windows
> again!

I get a better experience from the Ruby QuickRef[1] and ri. For
example:

$ ri -l | grep Assertion
Test::Unit::AssertionFailedError
Test::Unit::Assertions
Test::Unit::Assertions::use_pp=
Test::Unit::Assertions#_wrap_assertion
Test::Unit::Assertions#add_assertion
Test::Unit::Assertions#assert
Test::Unit::Assertions#assert_block
Test::Unit::Assertions#assert_equal
Test::Unit::Assertions#assert_in_delta
[...]

quickref.org has nothing.

[1] http://www.zenspider.com/Languages/Ruby/QuickRef.html

--
Eric Hodel - (E-Mail Removed) - http://blog.segment7.net

http://trackmap.robotcoop.com

robby.walker@gmail.com

Hi Antonio,

My apologies - I'll admit I'm no Ruby expert. Can you tell me where
the most recent Ruby documentation can be found?

Also, besides Rails, are there any libraries you'd like to see indexed?

Thanks,
Robby

On Sep 5, 2006, at 2:10 PM, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Antonio Cangiano wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> QuickRef.org : AJAX-powered site searches for documentation on
>>> Ruby [...]

>> Hi Robby,
>>
>> the documentation for Ruby 1.6 won't be very useful nowdays.

> My apologies - I'll admit I'm no Ruby expert. Can you tell me where
> the most recent Ruby documentation can be found?

Import ri, its all in handy yaml files. Or ruby-doc.org.

> Also, besides Rails, are there any libraries you'd like to see
> indexed?

The top downloads list on rubyforge is a good place to start.

--

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> My apologies - I'll admit I'm no Ruby expert.

Hi Robby,

no worries

Ruby Core API (1.8.4): http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/
Ruby Standard Library (1.8.4): http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/

> Also, besides Rails, are there any libraries you'd like to see indexed?

Remaining in Rubyland, I'd say Nitro, which is another Web framework
(http://www.nitroproject.org/documentation), and RMagick
(http://www.simplesystems.org/RMagick/doc/index.html), but there are
many nice projects out there.

BTW, I saw that you included MySQL, would it be possible to point to
the DB2 and PostgreSQL docs as well?

Thanks,
Antonio
--

William Crawford wrote:
> unknown wrote:
>> QuickRef.org : AJAX-powered site searches for documentation on Ruby,

> That site has some issues.
>
> For example: Search for anything, like 'calendar'. Then click a link.
> Minimize that window. Try to hit return after calendar to bring the
> results back up. It doesn't. You have to type something else and
> remove it, then hit return again.
>
> Also, you talk about multiple windows being open... How? Every time I
> click a new link, it replaces the previous window.

Another issue.

If you minimize several windows, bring window A up, then window B,
window A just disappears. So you have to explicitly minimize windows in
order not to lose them. Since I frequently flip between several pages,
this layout does not work for me. It takes a lot longer than just using
my firefox tabs.

Jan Friedrich

Have a look at http://www.gotapi.com/. It supports the documentation of
ruby-doc.org ans api.rails.org, further there is stuff about databases
(postgresql, mysql) XML, XSLT and many other things.

Best regards,
Jan Friedrich