Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Why is my Mozilla so damn slow?

Why is my Mozilla so damn slow?

Jukka Hellen

I really like the Mozilla suite, Firebird and Thunderbird but one thing
for these is common. They all work so damn slow on my computers. I have
one PII-400, 192RAM and WinXP (I have tried it with win2k also) and one
PII-375, 512RAM and MDK 9.2rc2. Using Mozilla 1.4 now but I have tried
almost every 1.x version berfore 1.4.

Mozilla starts up so slowly that I can't stand it. So I'm using Firebird
for surfing. When I move the cursor through the Bookmark olders , the
folders open about 1sec after In Opera and Konqueror they open
immediately.

Firebird is really speedy but its menus feels just as sticky as Mozillas

Now I'm using Mozilla Composer in MDK when I'm updating my webpages but
the GUI is so sticky and slow. It feels almost like I had chewinggum
sticked to my mouse. I have checked that also This is mostly when I
use drag n' drop to move text.

Can I do something to get it working like other apps? Opera's menus are
really quick in both Win and Lin.

dantu

Jukka Hellen wrote:

> I really like the Mozilla suite, Firebird and Thunderbird but one
> thing for these is common. They all work so damn slow on my computers.
> I have one PII-400, 192RAM and WinXP (I have tried it with win2k also)
> and one PII-375, 512RAM and MDK 9.2rc2. Using Mozilla 1.4 now but I
> have tried almost every 1.x version berfore 1.4.
>
> Mozilla starts up so slowly that I can't stand it. So I'm using
> Firebird for surfing. When I move the cursor through the Bookmark
> olders , the folders open about 1sec after In Opera and Konqueror
> they open immediately.
>
> Firebird is really speedy but its menus feels just as sticky as Mozillas
>
> Now I'm using Mozilla Composer in MDK when I'm updating my webpages
> but the GUI is so sticky and slow. It feels almost like I had
> chewinggum sticked to my mouse. I have checked that also This is
> mostly when I use drag n' drop to move text.
>
> Can I do something to get it working like other apps? Opera's menus
> are really quick in both Win and Lin.

Jukka

Does your system meet the minimum requirements for Mozilla?
Operating system Windows 98 Second Edition
Windows Millennium Edition
Windows NT 4.0
Windows 2000
Windows XP
Processor Pentium 233 MHz (or faster)
RAM 64 MB
Free hard disk space^
<http://www.mozilla.org/docs/end-user/guide/get-started.html#note-freedisk>
26 MB

Are you running any other programs in the background?

Are you sharing the same profile between Mozilla and
Firebird/Thunderbird? if so, dont. Use separate profiles for each
Take a look at your bookmarks file, is it of a large size? This is the
result of sharing profiles.

Create a new profile for each, and use them exclusively with that program
If the speed improves greatly with the new profile, then you have found
the problem.

Jukka Hellen

dantu wrote:
> Jukka Hellen wrote:
>
>> I really like the Mozilla suite, Firebird and Thunderbird but one
>> thing for these is common. They all work so damn slow on my computers.
>> I have one PII-400, 192RAM and WinXP (I have tried it with win2k also)
>> and one PII-375, 512RAM and MDK 9.2rc2. Using Mozilla 1.4 now but I
>> have tried almost every 1.x version berfore 1.4.
>>
>> Mozilla starts up so slowly that I can't stand it. So I'm using
>> Firebird for surfing. When I move the cursor through the Bookmark
>> olders , the folders open about 1sec after In Opera and Konqueror
>> they open immediately.
>>
>> Firebird is really speedy but its menus feels just as sticky as Mozillas
>>
>> Now I'm using Mozilla Composer in MDK when I'm updating my webpages
>> but the GUI is so sticky and slow. It feels almost like I had
>> chewinggum sticked to my mouse. I have checked that also This is
>> mostly when I use drag n' drop to move text.
>>
>> Can I do something to get it working like other apps? Opera's menus
>> are really quick in both Win and Lin.
>>

> Jukka
>
> Does your system meet the minimum requirements for Mozilla?
> Operating system Windows 98 Second Edition
> Windows Millennium Edition
> Windows NT 4.0
> Windows 2000
> Windows XP
> Processor Pentium 233 MHz (or faster)
> RAM 64 MB
> Free hard disk space^
> <http://www.mozilla.org/docs/end-user/guide/get-started.html#note-freedisk>
> 26 MB

Yup my system meets those requirements.

> Are you running any other programs in the background?

Yup I'm running programs in the background but I have them running when
I'm using Opera too but that doesn't seem to complain. I have tried
Konqueror in Linux too and it seems to be speedy.

> Are you sharing the same profile between Mozilla and
> Firebird/Thunderbird? if so, dont. Use separate profiles for each
> Take a look at your bookmarks file, is it of a large size? This is the
> result of sharing profiles.

It seems to be using different profiles. One for Mozilla and one for
Phoenix. My bookamarks.html was just 40Kb so it wasn't that big.

> Create a new profile for each, and use them exclusively with that program
> If the speed improves greatly with the new profile, then you have found
> the problem.

I haven't found the right medicine yet

dantu

Jukka Hellen wrote:

> dantu wrote:
>
>> Jukka Hellen wrote:
>>
>>> I really like the Mozilla suite, Firebird and Thunderbird but one
>>> thing for these is common. They all work so damn slow on my
>>> computers. I have one PII-400, 192RAM and WinXP (I have tried it
>>> with win2k also) and one PII-375, 512RAM and MDK 9.2rc2. Using
>>> Mozilla 1.4 now but I have tried almost every 1.x version berfore 1.4.
>>>
>>> Mozilla starts up so slowly that I can't stand it. So I'm using
>>> Firebird for surfing. When I move the cursor through the Bookmark
>>> olders , the folders open about 1sec after In Opera and Konqueror
>>> they open immediately.
>>>
>>> Firebird is really speedy but its menus feels just as sticky as
>>> Mozillas
>>>
>>> Now I'm using Mozilla Composer in MDK when I'm updating my webpages
>>> but the GUI is so sticky and slow. It feels almost like I had
>>> chewinggum sticked to my mouse. I have checked that also This is
>>> mostly when I use drag n' drop to move text.
>>>
>>> Can I do something to get it working like other apps? Opera's menus
>>> are really quick in both Win and Lin.
>>>

>> Jukka
>>
>> Does your system meet the minimum requirements for Mozilla?
>> Operating system Windows 98 Second Edition
>> Windows Millennium Edition
>> Windows NT 4.0
>> Windows 2000
>> Windows XP
>> Processor Pentium 233 MHz (or faster)
>> RAM 64 MB
>> Free hard disk space^
>> <http://www.mozilla.org/docs/end-user/guide/get-started.html#note-freedisk>
>> 26 MB

> Yup my system meets those requirements.
>

>> Are you running any other programs in the background?
>>

> Yup I'm running programs in the background but I have them running
> when I'm using Opera too but that doesn't seem to complain. I have
> tried Konqueror in Linux too and it seems to be speedy.
>
>> Are you sharing the same profile between Mozilla and
>> Firebird/Thunderbird? if so, dont. Use separate profiles for each
>> Take a look at your bookmarks file, is it of a large size? This is
>> the result of sharing profiles.

> It seems to be using different profiles. One for Mozilla and one for
> Phoenix. My bookamarks.html was just 40Kb so it wasn't that big.
>

>> Create a new profile for each, and use them exclusively with that
>> program
>> If the speed improves greatly with the new profile, then you have
>> found the problem.
>>

> I haven't found the right medicine yet

Have you tried a new profile?

Why Are Lecia 6MP cameras so damn Expensive? Justin Digital Photography 19 04-01-2008 11:08 AM
damn loop John Smith Cisco 3 03-17-2005 05:13 AM
"'If' must end with a matching 'End If'." <-- BUT IT DOES!! WHY DOESN'TTHE DAMN SERVER SEE IT??? Neo Geshel ASP .Net 2 08-18-2004 01:37 PM

Advertisments