Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Increase Image Quality of Charts (CR.NET)

Increase Image Quality of Charts (CR.NET)

Don Wash

Hi There!

I'm using CrystalReportsViewer control in my ASP.NET page to display the
report.

How do I increase the image quality of charts produced by Crystal Reports
..NET report file?

Many Thanks,
Don

=?Utf-8?B?VGFtcGEgLk5FVCBLb2Rlcg==?=

Image quality? I know the control has a zoom property that can be set at design time to have the report zoomed at a level of your choosing. Try that and see how it goes

"Don Wash" wrote:

> Hi There!
>
> I'm using CrystalReportsViewer control in my ASP.NET page to display the
> report.
>
> How do I increase the image quality of charts produced by Crystal Reports
> ..NET report file?
>
> Many Thanks,
> Don

Don Wash

No, I mean currently it is rendered as JPG. I want to render as better JPG
quality or better image formats such as PNG.

Is that possible in Crystal Reports?

Don

"Tampa .NET Koder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Image quality? I know the control has a zoom property that can be set at

design time to have the report zoomed at a level of your choosing. Try that
and see how it goes

> "Don Wash" wrote:
>
> > Hi There!
> >
> > I'm using CrystalReportsViewer control in my ASP.NET page to display the
> > report.
> >
> > How do I increase the image quality of charts produced by Crystal

Reports
> > ..NET report file?
> >
> > Many Thanks,
> > Don

=?Utf-8?B?VGFtcGEgLk5FVCBLb2Rlcg==?=

I doubt you can do this; but you probably can't do much with the version included with VS.NET anyways. So, you may have to visit thier website and see if other options are avaliable

"Don Wash" wrote:

> No, I mean currently it is rendered as JPG. I want to render as better JPG
> quality or better image formats such as PNG.
>
> Is that possible in Crystal Reports?
>
> Don
>
> "Tampa .NET Koder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Image quality? I know the control has a zoom property that can be set at

> design time to have the report zoomed at a level of your choosing. Try that
> and see how it goes
> >
> > "Don Wash" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi There!
> > >
> > > I'm using CrystalReportsViewer control in my ASP.NET page to display the
> > > report.
> > >
> > > How do I increase the image quality of charts produced by Crystal

> Reports
> > > ..NET report file?
> > >
> > > Many Thanks,
> > > Don

Martiankeeper

Aha ... I have a solution for this.

Crystal Reports .NET (the version bundled with Microsoft Visual Studi
.NET) has a number of features missing, but probably the most annoyin
is the low resolutions on charts and graphs.

It is possible to improve this however in *TWO WAYS!*

_DISCLAIMER_-_THIS_INVOLVES_EDITING_THE_REGISTRY._IT_IS_HIGHLY_ RECOMMENDED_THAT_YOU_BACKUP_YOUR_REGISTRY_BEFORE_M AKING_CHANGES!_I_DO_NOT_ACCEPT_ANY_LIABILITY_FOR_T HE_CONSEQUENCES_OF_ANYONE_MAKING_CHANGES_TO_THEIR_ REGISTRY_BASED_ON_THE_INSTRUCTIONS_IN_THIS_POST!

Firstly .. You need to add two Registry fixes.
Open the following .. Start --> Run --> regedit

Open the following Key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -->
Software -->
Seagate Software -->
Crystal Reports -->
Export

Add a DWORD value called -BitMapMagnifDenominator-. Give it the valu
of _1_

Add a second DWORD value called -BitMapMagnifNumerator-.
The value you should give this, is the same as the factor by which yo
want to scale up the resolution of your charts.
For example, if you want 2x the quality .. enter a value of 2.
If you want 5x the quality .. enter a value of 5.
(I found that either 2 or 3 gave a good enough quality for 99% o
charting .. even at 400% zoom)

Once editing is done .. close regedit .. recompile (or reload) you
.NET application .. and fire up those reports! Let me know how it goe
.. and hopefully all will be good.

-NOTE - INCREASING THE RESOLUTION OF CHARTS THIS WAY WILL IMPACT YOU
PROGRAMS IN 2 WAYS. (1) THE IMAGE RESOLUTION BEING BIGGER WILL INCREAS
THE MEMORY REQUIREMENTS. GOING FROM X2 TO X3 INCREASED THE MEMORY USAG
OF A SMALL CRYSTAL REPORT VIEWER WINDOWS FORM APP BY OVER 15MB!. (2
THE IMAGE SIZES ARE ALSO LARGER FOR WEB FORMS .. SO YOUR CRYSTAL REPOR
PAGES ON ASP.NET PROJECTS WILL TAKE LONGER TO LOAD!

Secondly... If you are running ASP.NET web forms, then the Crysta
Engine will use the same desktop resolution on the web-server t
generate the reports. So if your desktop is running at 256 colour, the
the graphs, charts and images will be rendered in 256 colour. So .. mak
sure your ageing web-server's resolution is up to scratch

Soo .. thats it!

enjoy everyone

Lemme know how you get on!

Martiankeepe

--
MartiankeeperPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup acces

Martiankeeper

*bump*

awwww c'mon .. it took me MONTHS to finally find this ... you can't b
telling me I was the only person using Visual Studio who couldn't wor
out how to increase CR.NET chart quality?

not a single comment?

*snif

--
MartiankeeperPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup acces

Kevin Spencer

Perhaps you should be asking Crystal Reports?

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Ambiguity has a certain quality to it.

"Martiankeeper" <Martiankeeper.1rbykm@> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> *bump*
>
> awwww c'mon .. it took me MONTHS to finally find this ... you can't be
> telling me I was the only person using Visual Studio who couldn't work
> out how to increase CR.NET chart quality?
>
> not a single comment?
>
> *snif*
>

> --
> MartiankeeperPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

Juan T. Llibre

OK, do you want a virtual pat on the head or on your back ?

Juan T. Llibre
ASP.NET MVP
http://asp.net.do/foros/
Foros de ASP.NET en Espaņol
Ven, y hablemos de ASP.NET...
======================

Juan T. Llibre Wrote:
> OK, do you want a virtual pat on the head or on your back ?
>

> Juan T. Llibre
> ASP.NET MVP
> http://asp.net.do/foros/
> Foros de ASP.NET en Espaņol
> Ven, y hablemos de ASP.NET...
> ======================

[/color]

hehe .. well .. either

But to be honest I was hoping I would get some feedback to see i
anyone else was having this problem. I used Crystal Report Write
Professional for years .. and when I came to CR.NET I was appalled a
the chart output quality ...

Now .. either there was something I missed (which makes me a complet
idiot, and award for "biggest newbie" wouldn't go amiss) ... or I ha
the same problem as everyone else (which means this post could b
immensely useful).

I have searched and searched and searched ... from all sorts of De
forums, the Business Objects (a.k.a. Crystal Reports) website
knowledgebase, forums and FAQ ...
finally (literally over 6 months after I first started looking) I foun
this little RegEdit gem ... and thought I'd share it ..

now .. has anyone even found this useful?

(thanks for the pat by the way .. appreciated plsthxbye!

--
MartiankeeperPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup acces