Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > parse error, unexpected $, expecting kEND

parse error, unexpected $, expecting kEND

Slain Wilde

Does anyone have any techniques or tools that they use to help narrow
these down in the code at all?

I mean the current method of scanning/folding the code to see if I can
tell where the missing 'end' is is a nightmare lol.

Of course a working ruby code indenter might help with that but I havent
found one of those that works either.

Gerald Murray

Slain Wilde wrote:
> Does anyone have any techniques or tools that they use to help narrow
> these down in the code at all?
>
> I mean the current method of scanning/folding the code to see if I can
> tell where the missing 'end' is is a nightmare lol.

using an editor with colorizing is a big help. Some use vim with the
ruby syntax
addition.
The missing 'end' problem, when it is not obvious, is usually traceable
to a
missing ", ', or a bracket not present, or misplaced {} {] (). With
vim, it is
easy in command mode to place the cursor on the one bracket, and press
"%" to identify its match.

Quite some time ago, there was one mentioned on ruby-lang.org, but I
could not
find it when looked. There is the beginning of a class PrettyPrint in
current cvs ruby
stable (1.9). I think this is for use within declared classes, and is
not quite what I
think you are looking for. It is not real obvious how to use that
class.

regards,
Gerald