Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > rake aborted! -- Help

rake aborted! -- Help

kublaikhan55@hotmail.com

Hi,
I posted this problem on the rails forum, but got no reply. Hoping
someone here may be able to lead me to a resolution.

When I run

> rake db:migrate

Rake aborts with the following message:

rake aborted!
No Rakefile found (looking for: rakefile, Rakefile, rakefile.rb,
Rakefile.rb)
C:/InstantRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.7.1/lib/rake.rb:1822:in
`load_rakefile'

rakefile exists in:

C:/InstantRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.7.1/

Putting copies of Rakefile and rakefile.rb in the directory where
rake.rb is doesn't help.

Help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
gk

kate rhodes

On 8/8/06, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> When I run
>
> > rake db:migrate

> Rake aborts with the following message:
>
> rake aborted!
> No Rakefile found (looking for: rakefile, Rakefile, rakefile.rb,
> Rakefile.rb)

the error says it all. It can't find a file named rake, Rakefile, or
rakefile.rb in the directory you're in.

for more details follow the instructions in the rest of the error message

--
- kate = masukomi

Bira

On 8/8/06, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Putting copies of Rakefile and rakefile.rb in the directory where
> rake.rb is doesn't help.

The rakefile should be in the directory you are executing the command
from. Rake looks there first, and if it finds nothing, it looks on the
parents of that directory.

I think it's better to put the rakefile in the root directory of your
project, and to execute rake from there (similar to what I'd do with
an Ant file).

--
Bira
http://compexplicita.blogspot.com

kublaikhan55@hotmail.com

Bira,

Great advice! I checked all downloaded Rails apps and, indeed, rakefile
is in the application root directory. It must be that when Rails
creates an application, it copies rakefile into the application root.
For some reason, I lost the rakefile in my Rails application directory.
I put it back there, and, lo and behold ... it works!

Thanks for the help.
gk