Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Ruby-Perl IPC messaging API (idea from SOAP)

Ruby-Perl IPC messaging API (idea from SOAP)

Rickard Sjostrom

Hi!
I want to something like SOAP but with local IPC (dont want to use HTTP
and dont want to waste ports). In my case I want to be able to start
Perl-scripts from Ruby without having to parse some strange
self-invented text string from input/output to convert it to data
structures, but I could probably easily implement this with XML but it
would be nice if there exists some solution already.

I guess that this means that I want to convert data structures to and
from XML like SOAP does!

Is there anything like this that can do it for me?

/Rick

ara.t.howard@noaa.gov

On Mon, 7 Aug 2006, Rickard Sjostrom wrote:

> Hi!
> I want to something like SOAP but with local IPC (dont want to use HTTP
> and dont want to waste ports). In my case I want to be able to start
> Perl-scripts from Ruby without having to parse some strange
> self-invented text string from input/output to convert it to data
> structures, but I could probably easily implement this with XML but it
> would be nice if there exists some solution already.
>
> I guess that this means that I want to convert data structures to and
> from XML like SOAP does!
>
> Is there anything like this that can do it for me?
>
> /Rick

perl and ruby both speak yaml - why not use it - it will be far less pain.

-a
--
happiness is not something ready-made. it comes from your own actions.
- h.h. the 14th dali lama

Rickard Sjostrom

unknown wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Aug 2006, Rickard Sjostrom wrote:
>

>> Is there anything like this that can do it for me?
>>
>> /Rick

> perl and ruby both speak yaml - why not use it - it will be far less
> pain.
>
> -a

Thanks a lot! That's probably what I'm looking for and you've probably
saved me from that pain! I'll look into it now! Thanks again!

/Rick

Mike Fletcher

unknown wrote:
> perl and ruby both speak yaml - why not use it - it will be far less
> pain.

Just a note that if you do this you may want to use the Perl YAML::Syck
module. I've had minor problems with getting Ruby produced YAML
accepted by the older pure-Perl YAML module. Using YAML::Syck means
that both sides (Perl and Ruby) are sitting on top of the same
underlying C code and I haven't had problems since.