Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Ruby > Can't install rubygems - but getting closer

Can't install rubygems - but getting closer

Michael Satterwhite

I'm runniing Ubuntu Breezy. The distributed version of ruby is 1.8.3
which is incompatible with the current rails. As a result, I'm trying to
get things up outside of apt. I have ruby installed - compiled to
install to /usr/bin. I'm trying to get rubygems installed, but still not
making it there.

When I run (as root) ruby setup.rb, from the rubygems-0.9.0 directory,
it terminates with

hook /software/rubygems-0.9.0/./post-install.rb failed:
uninitialized constant Gem::Builder:ackage

This is further than I've been getting, but still not there. I want to
thank those of you for the help you've given so far, and need to ask for
some more. Any ideas on how to correct this?

tia
---Michael

Michael Greenly

Michael Satterwhite wrote:
> I'm runniing Ubuntu Breezy. The distributed version of ruby is 1.8.3
> which is incompatible with the current rails. As a result, I'm trying to
> get things up outside of apt. I have ruby installed - compiled to
> install to /usr/bin. I'm trying to get rubygems installed, but still not
> making it there.
>
> When I run (as root) ruby setup.rb, from the rubygems-0.9.0 directory,
> it terminates with
>
> hook /software/rubygems-0.9.0/./post-install.rb failed:
> uninitialized constant Gem::Builder:ackage
>
> This is further than I've been getting, but still not there. I want to
> thank those of you for the help you've given so far, and need to ask for
> some more. Any ideas on how to correct this?
>
> tia
> ---Michael

Gems for some reason on Debian/Ubuntu seems to want to install in
/usr/lib/ruby instead of /usr/local (rather annoying) I'd take a look
and see if that is what it did?

On Dapper running ruby from the repository and Gems from source I
install gems to /usr/local/lib/site_ruby this way...

export GEM_HOME=/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/gems
ruby setup.rb config --prefix=/usr/local/
--site-ruby/usr/local/lib/site-ruby
ruby setup.rb setup
ruby setup.rb install

Set necessary environment vars in /etc/environment

Add /usr/local/lib/site-ruby/1.8/gem/bin to the PATH entry
Add GEM_HOME="/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/gems"

Restart so they take system wide effect

I typed that (quickly) from memory away from my ubuntu box so you may
want to check/alter the directories a bit...